Forums > Kitesurfing General

The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island

Created by L2L Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018
L2L
180 posts
Tuesday , 9 Oct 2018 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island returns for edition # 9.

The # 1 Kiteboarding Race In The Southern Hemisphere is now live and open for nominations. If you have over 100 hours of kite boarding experience and want to experience once again an awesome race across Gage Roads get your entry in today!

In 2018 there will be no ballot and places will be broadly allocated by the race organiser(s) based on experience and aptitude. Note, the entry fee is increased from $165 (prior years) to $195 (this year) and reflects the increasing costs and dynamic nature of staging this unique race safely, successfully and sustainably.

Enter here: www.lighthouse2leighton.com.au

#RBL2L #rottnestisland @rottnestislandwa @rottnest

Jono77
WA, 304 posts
Wednesday , 10 Oct 2018 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see this well run event back. I'm sure it'll be a cracker.

I'm just wondering, how are you assessing "competency", "experience and aptitude".

I actually think it's a good idea but wondering how it's being done as there are no questions in the registration to find this out.

cauncy
WA, 6355 posts
Wednesday , 10 Oct 2018 7:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jono77 said..

I'm just wondering, how are you assessing "competency", "experience and aptitude".

I actually think it's a good idea but wondering how it's being done as there are no questions in the registration to find this out.

If you can hold the same tack for a few klms in marginal wind and slurp a tin of red bull in front of a camera
your good to go

Cornishryan
WA, 54 posts
Wednesday , 10 Oct 2018 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jono77 said..

There is a section regarding kiting history/experience allowing you to put Information in - I'm guessing this allows organizers to determine suitable 'experience and aptitude'.

Jono77
WA, 304 posts
Wednesday , 10 Oct 2018 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cornishryan said..

Jono77 said..

There is a section regarding kiting history/experience allowing you to put Information in - I'm guessing this allows organizers to determine suitable 'experience and aptitude'.

Sure, that section of the entry COULD be used BUT the question/instructions associated with that area of the form says it's interesting info and achievements about you for commentators to use, not "list your experience that qualifies you for selection in this race".

towradgi
NSW, 203 posts
Wednesday , 10 Oct 2018 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

It appears jono 77 has a genuine concern for the welfare of other competitors who may not be up to standard of such a gruelling ocean race. After all wasn't there 50 D.N.F. competitors last year out of a total of 130 or 140 field which seems too high a proportion. Imagine how many would D.N.F. if the race was start and finish at Rottnest.

shano82
WA, 63 posts
Wednesday , 10 Oct 2018 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Tim, in the event registration confirmation, and the calendar entry that is linked as well, it's showing race date as the 1st December, not the 8th?

shano82
WA, 63 posts
Wednesday , 10 Oct 2018 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
towradgi said..
It appears jono 77 has a genuine concern for the welfare of other competitors who may not be up to standard of such a gruelling ocean race. After all wasn't there 50 D.N.F. competitors last year out of a total of 130 or 140 field which seems too high a proportion. Imagine how many would D.N.F. if the race was start and finish at Rottnest.

Last years race was run in extremely light wind, it was barely 15knots when we were trying to get off the beach, and that was after one aborted start. About 30 of those DNF's were in the TT category, and more appropriately they were Did Not Starts - they basically couldn't launch their kite or get up and planing. At 75kg I was running a 140 TT with a 13m race kite on 27m lines, and it was touch and go for about the first km as to whether I was going to keep moving or end up swimming.

Looking forward to a bit more wind this year, had a blast last year and would love to do it again :)

MikeyG
WA, 82 posts
Friday , 12 Oct 2018 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

I've done it three times and never fails to put a smile on my face. It's a good race, but it's a great day out. My best place has only ever been mid-field (I use a surfboard) but for me it's all about kiting at an iconic destination and enjoying the pre and post race environment.

Be warned - the wind has been light every year I've done it so you need a 12m minimum (unless you're foiling). Less than 15knots at the start line each time I've done it and the wind shadow on the beach at Rottnest catches about 20% of the competitors out each year. It got me the first year and it took me nearly 30mins to launch the kite once it went down in the drink.

L2L
180 posts
Yesterday , 15 Oct 2018 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shano82 said..
Hey Tim, in the event registration confirmation, and the calendar entry that is linked as well, it's showing race date as the 1st December, not the 8th?

Yah, I've asked them to fix it, should be done now. It is 100% the 8th. I've organised a solid 20 knots this year... no more light wind races!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The 2018 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton from Rottnest Island" started by L2L