Forums > Kitesurfing General

Where is safe in SW wind on South Coast NSW

Created by NathanG > 9 months ago, 17 Apr 2014
NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
18 Apr 2014 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

Looking for some local knowledge.

I have one forecast windy SW day over the Easter break and will be in Bawley Point.

Can someone recommend a spot between Ulladulla & Batemans Bay that is safe? Have had plenty of luck in NE and South breezes, but SW is that much more offshore and gusty...

I am thinking Racecourse Beach near Kiola/Bawley, or South side of Crampton Island at Lake Tabourie.

Happy to fly solo and am competent, I just want to be able to self rescue should something fail (gear, twist ankle, etc...)

Thanks in advance

towradgi
NSW, 424 posts
18 Apr 2014 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

Don't quote me ,but I recollect a mate windsurfed Swan Lake in a S.W. ...half an hour north of Bawley at Cudmirrah and Berrara in the late 80's

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
18 Apr 2014 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Towradgi

There is far too much beautiful swell running to hit up a lake. Strapless or strapped surfboard will be my board of choice.

If nobody has any suggestions, then I guess I will have to hold back and use the safer twin-tip.

Come on... Somebody must have a clue as to where is suitable for tomorrow.

Thanks again ( in anticipation)

Forecast swell and wind and holidays has me in a lather of excitement... Yeeeew!

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
18 Apr 2014 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Tabourie and Northern end of Mollymook are pretty good. Also point NorEaster.

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
18 Apr 2014 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks dafish!

Tabourie or Mollymook it is (can't work out where point NorEaster is... must be code for somewhere special?)

Happy Easter all.

werty
WA, 119 posts
18 Apr 2014 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

look up the beach from tourborie n a northerly direction and you might see a break which is protected from a 'nor'easter ' good down winda along this stretch too.

peterbacon
NSW, 41 posts
20 Apr 2014 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mate, im from molly, was eyeing up the westerlys as well, afraid only safe places around are the lakes or Jervice bay. we might be getting the ski out with us tho as the swell is pumping! welcome to tag along if your keen!! bawley is sick was out in the southerly last saturday big big swell good wind to bit custy

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
20 Apr 2014 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Oh, so you did hit Bawley PB? Damn....hit me up next time. That was an epic swell....but the wind was swinging so wildly it would have been hard to find the right kite size.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
20 Apr 2014 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
....hit me up next time.

hahahaha, plus 1...
always wanted to kited a big southerly down there.
just need eyes to scope it when its on!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Where is safe in SW wind on South Coast NSW" started by NathanG