Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cardboards 2011

Created by Card > 9 months ago, 3 Aug 2010
dusta
WA, 2940 posts
15 Sep 2010 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

waxman said...

you would have been worried, glad you found it.

i umm don't think worried was the right word , more like postal

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
15 Sep 2010 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

LOL...

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
16 Sep 2010 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

waxman said...

With the tempo is each size a different colour or can you choose between them?

im sure you can order them in any colour any size, they are still offering custom graphics but it will be a bit more expensive.

littleretz
SA, 18 posts
16 Sep 2010 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

haha....i had a hissy fit only after loosing mine for 5 mins!!!
Wax.....both my tempos coming up with me this weekend!!! hopefully enough wind and you can have a go on my 135....gotta put the bindings on them when i get up there!!! pray for wind!

waxman said...

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
16 Sep 2010 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

pro merc said...

waxman said...

im sure you can order them in any colour any size, they are still offering custom graphics but it will be a bit more expensive.

you sure about that ? . it cost no more for me to get custom graphics

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
16 Sep 2010 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

littleretz said...

haha....i had a hissy fit only after loosing mine for 5 mins!!!
Wax.....both my tempos coming up with me this weekend!!! hopefully enough wind and you can have a go on my 135....gotta put the bindings on them when i get up there!!! pray for wind!
waxman said...

Yeeha, leave the straps off i will take it for a skim, but i'm not sure the foot is up to it. Not much wind forcast but you never know that first seabreeze may blow in, i'll come down hold the camera and drink some cougar's.

TonyScott
QLD, 9 posts
17 Sep 2010 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Plug for build quality!!!
This is my beloved Cardboard with my own custom fire graphics, it is a Tempo 135x41 (I'm 80kg 180cm). I used it only 3 times and lost it off Wellington Point, 6 weeks later got a phone call from a fisherman who found it on Green Island on the waters edge. Small crabs had made a home in the bindings. I thought it would be stuffed/warped from being in the water for that long - so this is a BIG plug for the glue & build quality of these boards. It came back with very tiny scratches from sand/grit & I took this photo of it today. I love this board, while I'm still a clueless newb (well I can jump about 5m high & turn - but that's about it!) it feels so responsive & there's no way my feet will slip out accidentally - the bindings adjust for a perfect fit & there's a toe lip that just locks you in. I've painted the fins orange to help make it stand out when upturned, but you can see the zip tie attachment point for a reel 'cause I really don't want to be seperated from it ever again. Even though my phone number is printed in the board, the fisherman didn't see it - what he saw was "Reward if found, Tony 0428 772 022" written with niko (on top near heel of left binding). Dan was so helpful in picking which board & size would be right for me & the Tempo is a perfect fit. So glad to get it back - but sorry Dan - no 2nd sale!

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
17 Sep 2010 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

jeebus. How did you do that?

Nice result though. No hassle warranty.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
18 Sep 2010 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

That is some impressive damage, did it pull the inserts out then delaminate? It looks like they left out the glue. I hope it's a one off, but good to see they are looking after you with warranty.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Sep 2010 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Cardboards have an impressive 3 year warranty against breakage on most of their boards, thats fantastic and because they are in Oz, you get fast action on any repair or replacement. One of the reasons we have taken them on this year. Super happy with quality and service thus far.

DM

Card
QLD, 77 posts
18 Sep 2010 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, We had a long hard look at what went wrong with this board, we where able to pinpoint the problem and have put in place measures to make sure it is avoided in the future.

Craigs replacement board is already in transit.

Cheers,
Dan

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
18 Sep 2010 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Card said...

Hi Guys, We had a long hard look at what went wrong with this board, we where able to pinpoint the problem and have put in place measures to make sure it is avoided in the future.

Craigs replacement board is already in transit.

Cheers,
Dan

The design from Tonyscott is actually pretty decent. You should add it to your standard catalogue.

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
18 Sep 2010 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

^^^+1 the wood with the hot coals looks great.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
18 Sep 2010 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

AKSonline said...

Cardboards have an impressive 3 year warranty against breakage on most of their boards, thats fantastic and because they are in Oz, you get fast action on any repair or replacement. One of the reasons we have taken them on this year. Super happy with quality and service thus far.

DM

ditto .Great boards ,happy riders .no breakages in 4 years ,great guys to deal with ,can't wait to try the mutant

waxman
SA, 1390 posts
6 Oct 2010 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

I finally got to test out the new cardboards boards over the last few days, the FR 141 and Tempo in some very challenging conditions with the wind varying from 12-30+ kts.
The FR definitely fits the bill as a free ride board, what i liked about it was that it would easily plane through the lulls and held well in the gusts, what i didn't like was it seemed a little harsh through some short chop there seemed to be some sharp feedback, the board doesn't seem to have as much flex as some other free ride boards which i think gave this feel or it could have been the bigger size, but in the bigger rolling waves and flat water it was a awesome cruisy board. I then took out the 135 tempo in the same conditions and instantly loved the board, i was comfortable as soon as i took of and took no time to get used to it, the chop that gave the FR grief was eaten up by the Tempo smooth and fast through some of the nastiest chop i have ridden, that is what really summed up the tempo for me it's smooth and fast. The speed of the board for me was ideal for wakesyle ridding IMO. Performance wise it is a little stiffer than a nobile board so you could really just stomp it to generate good pop instead of using a progressive edge technique which i liked, the landings were a little harsher but not quite as bad as a lunacy and if you landed tail first slightly you would ride out smooth as. When landing the board gave just the right amount of give making even a messy landing easy on the body to ride out of so the 40mm fins supplied on the board are spot on, unlike the Nobile NHP that was like it was on rails and if you weren't on track you would be punished. The tempo did generate a little spray off of the front fin, but only when you really tried to drive it up wind as hard as you could but when riding normally there was no issue. Coming off nobile boards you can see some trade off's on this board where Cardboards have gone performance over comfort in some areas, but with all the differences between the boards there is only one i would change, the pads, the board is spot on I don't think that it would fit my ridding style as a all round board but as a wake style board there is definitely room in my quiver for one and it will see a lot of use.

Over the 3 days they found it very hard to get me off the Tempo, the more i rode it the more i loved it, and cant wait to get my new 135 tempo setup and hit some flat water in whyalla on it and really put it through it's paces

Thanks Littleretz for the loan of the board, once you get your boots sorted on your 135 you can borrow mine any time

Card
QLD, 77 posts
14 Oct 2010 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Waxy

Thanks for the review, glad to see your liking the Tempo your one of many at the moment

The FR you had a ride on may have been one of the earlier boards, we have tweaked the FR a bit since then adding more flex through out to give a smother ride. Scotty should have a couple of the newer ones in stock soon.

Cheers,
Dan

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
14 Oct 2010 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Tonyscott dont use zip ties you will turn ya good tt into a killing machine . If you want to use a death leash (there is a reason why they call it this ) attach it to your board with a hair band or two that way it will break if it has too much load on it . Makes it just a little safer and learn how to body drag it is not that hard to do . DONT ATTACH LEAD IF YOU ARE JUMPING

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
14 Oct 2010 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

About time I wrote a few words about the 2011 Cardboards lineup. As you all know we were at the Exmouth Expo recently and we took some Cardboards up with us. The FR136, 148 Wave, 135 Tempo and 137 Pro.

Testing/riding conditions were dead flat butter to short medium sized chop. For the first couple of days, the footstraps were too big, but on advice from Dan, I cut away a piece of the strap tongue and made them smaller to fit all but the smallest sized feet. I believe subsequent footstraps have been changed and is no longer a problem on all new boards.

The boards appear to have changed markedly from 2010 as my head instructor said he rode some cardboards in Port Douglas recently and didn't like them, complaining of stiffness and not being too forgiving. I urged him to ride a couple yesterday and he came in grinning, admitting they were damn fine!

TEMPO 135
My personal favourite is the Tempo 135 wakestyle board. This board has 5 concaves/channels and a very generous continuous rocker and small 40mm fins. The rocker and channels eat up chop and the board tracks very nicely but isn't locked in, you can push out with the back foot and the board throws buckets of spray but doesn't lose it's grip on the way. Other boards I have ridden lose traction when the fins cavitate and they slide until you pull the back foot in, the Tempo just pulls itself back in line making it super forgiving.

The wide plan shape and wide tips give amazing amount of pop and stomping it was dead easy to produce beautifully high loaded front rolls. I actually over rotated the first one as it caught me off guard. Landing jumps was a cinch as the channels seem to just align the board and the little bit of slip without losing traction allows you imperfect landings and control whereas other boards punish you with a fall.

I liked the way my riding became more fluid and precise as I started landing stuff, even in the chop, that I have had issues with on other boards. In short, I was able to ride at a higher level than I have been able to even after the long winter spell of no freestyle practice and it felt easy and fun, absolutely no effort! This board suits my style - Aggressive and fast.

FR136 (Freeride)
The Freeride was my second favourite board and not far behind the Tempo for me. In fact that was the thing I was surprised at, I thought it would be more flexy and docile as an intermediates style choppy water board. Wrong!

Although the board is designed as a Freerider, it has lurking within it's makeup, the ability of a freestyle board too. The difference to other FR style boards is they tend to have nice flex for chop but then fail a bit in freestyle due to the tail flex and not releasing the energy when you stomp the tail, the Cardboards FR does. In fact it pops almost as good as the Tempo.

The Quad concave eats up chop and provides a smooth ride, easy control and feels a little more locked in than the Tempo, likely due to the 50mm fins and slightly flatter rocker. Upwind is a breeze and nice control at speed. The pop is quite amazing and freestyle is again, quite easy on this board which is actually a little deceiving from it's name. When I asked Dan about it, he said he wanted a reasonable difference between the Tyro and the FR, so the FR falls into the intermediate to lower end of advanced category in terms of performance whilst remaining easy to ride for beginner to intermediate riders.

More advanced riders should go with the Tempo, but for beginners to upper end of intermediates, this board is a daily fun ride.

148 WAVE
The Mutant is a real piece of work and is not quite as full on as previous mutants of yester year. The plan shape is symmetrical so the board itself has no bias to one end or the other. The fins however make the difference. Small 80mm surf style fins in a thruster setup give the board it's one way bias with the 50mm wake style fins on the nose giving control when riding backwards.

I originally set up the footstraps up with a natural stance bias but after riding it, have decided to put the straps back symmetrically. It is basically a twin tip that needs to be ridden as such but has surf fins for added grip and strong tucked tail outline for carving in waves. The board rides beautifully in both directions with no problems of the fins catching when riding backwards.

This may not be the ideal board if you live in flat or choppy water, but if you live close to a wave that you ride regularly, this is a strong contender for those that love versatility of a twin tip but with more performance for wave riding. The Wave 148 would also make a fantastic downwinder board for the likes of City beach to Scarborough and beyond, smashing waves all the way down. The bi directionality of the board allows you to just reverse direction to rest your back leg or to quickly change direction and get out of dutch should you suddenly find yourself about to be mowed down by a big close out set.

If you like whacking waves and your twin tip isn't really cutting it, the Wave 148 is the key. Practically unbreakable and the ability to boost and loop it as well as smash waves makes it very practical for riders loving twinnys in surf locations. An excellent alternative to lovers of the Airush Hammer as it does all the Hammer does, but also goes upwind well and needs less power.

PRO137

To be perfectly honest, I thought this would be the board for me as I usually ride pretty hard and consider myself to be a reasonably advanced level rider. The Pro 137 being very flat in rocker and extremely wide in the tips is quite a handful. I found it very unforgiving and a bit hard to manage in frestyle, even in the smooth waters. This maybe due to the size of the board and not being used to such wide tips.

I think the addition of boots may give better control to the edging but it would take a very precise rider to get the most out of it. After coming in from a sensational ride on the Tempo, and then going out on the Pro, I didn't stay on the Pro for long enough to really dial it in. I gave this feedback to Dan and he explained the shape and design of the board was from a PKRA professional riders board which explains a fair bit.

It is fast and goes upwind like a demon but for me, it needs to be about 5cm shorter and a little more tucked in the tail so I can get more from it. Nice board but I can't see us selling many at Pinnaroo due to the extreme choppiness and it's not really one for me. I'm sure Dan will further the design of the board and produce something easier for the average punters if there is sufficient demand.

AKS has demo's of all of the above boards as well as the Tyro and they are available everyday if you are interested in a demo ride. We can order custom graphics for you and we'll absorb the cost of freight, saving you a further $30. We will also be stocking the boards in standard colour/graphic schemes for those that want their board NOW!

Cheers,

DM

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cardboards 2011" started by Card