Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Epic screamer v Nitro 6

Created by PRAWNDOG > 9 months ago, 13 Feb 2017
oscar1
84 posts
4 Apr 2017 6:04AM
Thumbs Up

And epic has an epic price to go with it.,There wont be a big difference on performance.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
5 Apr 2017 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Very odd theres no seems to be no one with a Nitro willing to let me demo it for 10 minutes or so... truth must be scary huh !
Common team riders what rocks yall hiding under

If it were Dimitri from Epic id have it from the U.S on my doorstep in 5 days.

Chris_M
2129 posts
5 Apr 2017 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

SaveTheWhales said..
Very odd theres no seems to be no one with a Nitro willing to let me demo it for 10 minutes or so... truth must be scary huh !
Common team riders what rocks yall hiding under

If it were Dimitri from Epic id have it from the U.S on my doorstep in 5 days.

Look up the network of demo guys on the website. Here, I have even put in a link for you. Now you use your telephone or email machine to contact them and organise a demo

http://switchkites.com/demos

I can't believe I have to do this for you

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
5 Apr 2017 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Lol - with 1994 views so far, Im guessing theyve heard about it allready being team and demo school people

Please excuse my lack of enthusiasm... the 'team' online was full of crap when they sang praises and i bought one - what a dog and swapped it for an old underground kiteboard !

Lets see what comes of it

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
5 Apr 2017 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hmm no team riders in W.A or Oz with a Nitro 6.. according to their world map..

Chris_M
2129 posts
5 Apr 2017 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Well, underground boards are awesome, but not sure which team you swapped it for? The switch kiteboard?

I reckon those profiles havent been updated in a few years, why not try calling them to see what they have, then if no dice, try contacting switch? Have you tried that? You said you'd try contacting Dimitri so why not speak to Felix at switch and let him know the story, or do you just want an excuse to complain about Switch as a company or something?

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
5 Apr 2017 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Team as in "switch kite team" and i was talking about the Nitro.. and yes they know my story already..

Like i said - a dog bit me once..

So no ill not be paying for a Demo to return the kite.

I currently use 2 switch bars (bars only not the rest) because they are strong as hell which gives me confidence in big megaloops on storm / cyclone days..

If somethings good - i call it good !

Well there goes your theory on being a Switch kicker

Chris_M
2129 posts
5 Apr 2017 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

I never had a theory mate.

But I could make a hypothesis that you are a whiner

I'll just sit back and gather the evidence to support my hypothesis

Not that I even give a sH** because I have nothing to gain or lose from the outcome of this thread

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
5 Apr 2017 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..
Can't comment on the Epic, however have recently picked up a Nitro 6 in the 10m. So far have only used it twice so not overly keen to "review" the kite fully.

I sold my Nitro 5 in that same size and got the 6 as I just couldn't get my head around the 5. I have the Nitro 4 in a 14m and 8m and love this version, so I was secretly hoping that the v6 was more like the v4 than the what the v5 was. It just seemed to not align in my head when I then hopped onto the Nitro 5 after being on the v4.

Build quality like always with the Nitro is brilliant, to the point where I don't believe there are any kites out there that have a superior build quality and hence reckon it is on a par with the "big" brands.

The wing tips on the v6 seem to be raked back further and the leading edge on these points also look more refined. I don't know what it is but the kite appears to have a squarer look to it in the air...maybe even more of a C shape to it than the previous models.

As I said previously, early days but it has good stability to it, handles the gusts beautifully and so far jumps feel good.

I am not going to w@nk on about a smoother landing on jumps or bigger air(marketing hype), 'cause at the end of the day it comes down to how well you load, send and land the kite.

Relaunch was something that they said they had improved...nah, I don't think so. It doesn't land in the water and then want to sit up on an edge ready for relaunch. Like usual, you have to use a bit of effort to get it up on an edge and bring it around. I'm used to the Nitro so that doesn't bother me.

Will post more when the wind plays a bit more favourably.

Shi house have you flown this bad boy yet would be good to get some feedback from someone who has actually flown the kite

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
5 Apr 2017 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Chris your funny

Before i bought the nitro, I did my research, contacting switch riders and the company rep.. and there all saying "ferk yeah awesome kite blaa bla..

It leads me to believe that there skills are crap.

The kite flew like a dog compared to the Screamer and that justifies me to have an opinion

A whiner ? ferk yeah - thats me everytime i get sold something crap.. that was meant to be the bees knees.

Now go read the first post i wrote on this thread

Chris_M
2129 posts
6 Apr 2017 4:37AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like you had a bad time with the Nitro 2. Fair enough, those early kites looked pretty rugged.
Interested that you did not return it for your money back? Why?

Do Epic offer free deliver and return freight if you want to demo a kite? If so that is pretty amazing. Must cost them a bit to cover those costs, but hey if it makes sales I guess it's worth it hey?

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
6 Apr 2017 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Intermediate kiter of 4-5 years. My review:

Nitro 6 is lighter, faster and easier to relaunch than the nitro 5.

It boosts really well. As good as the rebel, evo and switchblade and hangtime is awesome. Turning is slightly quicker than the switchblade but its not a park and ride kite and you need to sheet out on the upstroke.

Bar pressure is light and may take some getting use to. Initially i would lose the feel of where the kite was when doing tricks and end up on the wrong sife of the wind window but now i am use to it.

Im **** at unhooking but I my wife has the vegas and the nitro is not a vegas when it comes to line slack... you can still do raileys easy enough but dont expect much more unless you are really skilled.

Construction is solid, however i had fraying of the dacron along the leading edge. I cut the fraying strands off myself so it wasnt a big deal but it pissed me off that a one month old kite developed it.

Its a 5 strut kite, strong and wont bend. But its heavy and even though they have good low end you need to be in the mid to upper range of wind to have fun and for the kite to be powered up. For example on my naish pivot i could go in 12 knots 12m. Nitro 14 knots 12m and 16 knots to do tricks (95 kgs). I now have the Cab FX which although it has less low end than the N6, because it flies so fast I can generate enough apparent wind to kite in 12-13 knots on a 12m with a twin tip. Its not fun by any stretch but just a comparison.

I wouldnt go bigger than the 12m. I owned the 14m too but it was too slow and a light wind kite would have been better. Plus it only got me 2 more knots of low end.

I reckon the 9m would be great but the smallest Nitro I owned was the 10m and it was the 5th generation.

Im selling mine only cause i love kite loops and I found the nitro was a bit slow and a bit too powered in the loops for my liking. Everything else was awesome for freeriding and the odd bit of unhooking.

You need to fly the kite really aggressively to get the most out of it. Two handed fish pole kiteloops, massive dives on water starts etc and she does well.

I have the 10 and 12m for sale see my seabreeze listing.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
6 Apr 2017 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..
Do Epic offer free deliver and return freight if you want to demo a kite? If so that is pretty amazing. Must cost them a bit to cover those costs, but hey if it makes sales I guess it's worth it hey?

No. But if you don't like it, they'll refund your purchase . . . and Dimitri has really good customer service.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
6 Apr 2017 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..
Sounds like you had a bad time with the Nitro 2. Fair enough, those early kites looked pretty rugged.

Since your so keen lol heres a little maths quiz
Kite size was 7m

Working away Fifo 2 weeks on 1 week off, not much wind season, kite arrives while im away, not enough wind till end of 3rd swing R&R...
Roughly how many days out of Warranty?

The joys of mining and missing out on everything

Chris_M
2129 posts
6 Apr 2017 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..

Chris_M said..

Kite size was 7m

Working away Fifo 2 weeks on 1 week off, not much wind season, kite arrives while im away, not enough wind till end of 3rd swing R&R...

Sounds like a bummer all round.

Anyway.... I'm sure both kites are nice. I am happy with my new Nitro 6 (It's definitely not a dog) and although I have only seen Epics and never rode one, I do like Dimitri's style of riding and reckon those kites would be good at it.

So in conclusion, I reckon they'd both be good.

Faaark long thread to figure that out ay, it's kind of like a counselling session for people with traumatic experiences with kites who caused them trauma

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
6 Apr 2017 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Yes agreed - i assume the Nitro should be good for its own specific purpose.
Sometimes I think its better not to try a different kite if your happy with the way your one flys..

Ahh Contentment - the greatest treasure on Earth

PRAWNDOG
WA, 306 posts
6 Apr 2017 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

So know that where all made up and friends again, can someone else contribute information about the kites lol

Chris_M
2129 posts
6 Apr 2017 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

@Prawndog

They are both good..... probably

shi thouse
WA, 1133 posts
6 Apr 2017 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..

SaveTheWhales said..

Chris_M said..

Kite size was 7m

Anyway.... I'm sure both kites are nice. I am happy with my new Nitro 6 (It's definitely not a dog) and although I have only seen Epics and never rode one, I do like Dimitri's style of riding and reckon those kites would be good at it.

Faaark long thread to figure that out ay, it's kind of like a counselling session for people with traumatic experiences with kites who caused them trauma

With all due respect to Dimitri, it wouldn't matter what kite you put him on he would make it look good. Give him a plastic bag and he would be doing kite loops on it. Why do you think he makes so many videos, he is the best advertising for his product.

Chris_M
2129 posts
7 Apr 2017 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shi thouse said..

Chris_M said..

SaveTheWhales said..

Chris_M said..

Kite size was 7m

With all due respect to Dimitri, it wouldn't matter what kite you put him on he would make it look good. Give him a plastic bag and he would be doing kite loops on it. Why do you think he makes so many videos, he is the best advertising for his product.

Same with Marc Jacobs!

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
7 Apr 2017 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Ok guys lets not over step the mark here..

The Nitro has been a dog prviously, undergone many changes, completely revised (means a crap design and tried another) and still trying to get it right at Version 6

The Epic is in a complete different category...

Remember I said and just about every other review magazines and all said -

"The Screamer has been Plug and Play Go big Loop hard" from day 1 !!!

Yes that means Day 1 !!! for anyone !!

You dont have to be a Big name or have any trick skills at all - just the ability to basic jump - thats all !!!!

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1061 posts
7 Apr 2017 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Are you Russian or Greek?

Chris_M
2129 posts
7 Apr 2017 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..
Ok guys lets not over step the mark here..

The Nitro has been a dog prviously, undergone many changes, completely revised (means a crap design and tried another) and still trying to get it right at Version 6

The Epic is in a complete different category...

Remember I said and just about every other review magazines and all said -

"The Screamer has been Plug and Play Go big Loop hard" from day 1 !!!

Yes that means Day 1 !!! for anyone !!

You dont have to be a Big name or have any trick skills at all - just the ability to basic jump - thats all !!!!

Yeah dunno if I get your drift here.

I have a Nitro 4 and really like it. And now I also have a 6 and really like it too. Never had a earlier version but the only person commenting about it is you, who is obviously aggrieved about it, so you are sounding a bit biased. I agreed that it looked pretty raw, but I could tell that by watching it in the early Switch vids.

Don't think the point you are trying to make is relevant. Some models start off quite awesome, then get tweaked and become worse (only based upon opinions from other complainers about the C4 for example).

Are you trying to sell us Epic kites or something? Or do you need validation from others to make you feel better about the type of kite you have invested your pocket money in?

JKimbler
317 posts
7 Apr 2017 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Nitro V2 still had a heavy racing pedigree and required some skill to use properly. I had 8/10 and had the biggest jumps of my life on my 8. Flew the V3 a few years back when they came out, it felt pretty good, similar to the V2 but with full depower at the bar and faster turning. Haven't been on any newer versions since going to elements but I'd imaging they are pretty good.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
7 Apr 2017 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Chris - Interesting because one of my friends Rob at 110ish kg jumps big rode the 10m Ltd Screamers till recently and bought the nitro 5 because of the price.
He said it was ok but no match compared to the Screamer and has just bought another 10m Screamer - saying its hard to go backwards..

So anytime you want to match a Nitro to a Screamer - you best be prepared for a sh@t storm.

Please feel free to match the Nitro against the Edge and see how you go..

oscar1
84 posts
7 Apr 2017 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

A 9 metre screamer is $2000nz , A 9 metre V6 nitro is $1035nz, huge difference in price for not a lot of gain,

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
7 Apr 2017 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

I shouldn't have broken my rule of not posting on Seabreeze. You guys are interested in nothing more than pissing contests with one another.

Pathetic. Review the kite on actual personal experience or shut up.

Signing off (again).

Chris_M
2129 posts
7 Apr 2017 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Haha ease off the shandy's there ya grumpy can't

Just2807
180 posts
8 Apr 2017 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaveTheWhales said..
Chris - Interesting because one of my friends Rob at 110ish kg jumps big rode the 10m Ltd Screamers till recently and bought the nitro 5 because of the price.
He said it was ok but no match compared to the Screamer and has just bought another 10m Screamer - saying its hard to go backwards..

So anytime you want to match a Nitro to a Screamer - you best be prepared for a sh@t storm.

Please feel free to match the Nitro against the Edge and see how you go..

Well we are all glad for your friend Rob. Feel free to continue discussion in PM or open another thread.

Can we get back to topic couse i got my eye on 1 10m screamer? Ty :)

P.S.
Say hi to Rob.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Epic screamer v Nitro 6" started by PRAWNDOG