Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ozone 2009 news

Created by Kitepower Australia > 9 months ago, 22 Nov 2008
22 Nov 2008 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

ozonekites.com/water

Lots of interesting changes, demo kites will be in Oz within a few weeks, and 2009 stocks to sell in early January.

Any questions - I'll do my best to answer them.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Macca Wollongong
NSW, 295 posts
22 Nov 2008 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Most will like the 4 line part, but somehow, im not get excited over loosing a line :S
I guess i dont want to see a complecated bridle on the kite, and loose the typical solid stable flying kite they ozones are.

But they seem to be looking niceeee

Should be interesting to see how they go!

benk
QLD, 398 posts
22 Nov 2008 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Steve, How does the rigging work on the new kites, are the anti inverts and the 5th line 2:1 all gone?? Any major changes to feel/function of light,sport and edge? Cant wait for some more info!

23 Nov 2008 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Fifth line is gone and so are the anti inverts, but still direct connection with no pulleys.
Very solid feel, medium bar pressure, everything riders have asked for is on this kite.

Its a completely new design, thoroughly tested. Its been developed over the last 12 months alongside the existing InstinctII, different designer, a long time Ozone designer and team member, Robbie Whitall.

I'll have some demos soon and will be able to tell more very soon.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Aiolus
NSW, 102 posts
23 Nov 2008 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

@ Steve --- Since the '09 models have lost the 5th line, any idea if the 2008 bars will work on the 2009 models? In other words, if I buy a kite only '09 model will my exiting 08 bar work with it?

Cheers

23 Nov 2008 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Aiolus said...

@ Steve --- Since the '09 models have lost the 5th line, any idea if the 2008 bars will work on the 2009 models? In other words, if I buy a kite only '09 model will my exiting 08 bar work with it?

Cheers

No it won't, as far as I know. I have not seen the production gear yet, but from what I understand the new kites are 4 line only.
Your kite needs the 5th line to fly properly, and it needs the fifth line to be connected to the top of the trim system and trim at 50% rate of the front lines.
Thanks for your interest and patience, more news soon.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
23 Nov 2008 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

So what is the below the bar safety about?
Can you still do spins n stuff without the tangle of the safety leash?
Is the edge still as grunty as the 08 edge?
Is there still the anti invert thingo? Honestly that thing really really works incredibly well.
Is the bar pressure the same as 08 or more now?
Do the kites still respond OK to over sheeting?
Is the chicken loop that same molded high quality togh plastic stuff?
Can i have one.....please?

24 Nov 2008 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

So what is the below the bar safety about?

Safety and self landing ability, easy relaod in the water too.

poor relative said...
Can you still do spins n stuff without the tangle of the safety leash?

Yes, thats part of the new system.

poor relative said...
Is the edge still as grunty as the 08 edge?

From what I have been told yes, and then some!

poor relative said...
Is there still the anti invert thingo? Honestly that thing really really works incredibly well.

No Anti invert lines needed now, because there is no 5th line to wrap around the kite, thats all they were there for.
They did work well, but could occassionally wrap on a tip in a careless launch or a big crash. We want perfection, and its been omitted for 09

poor relative said...
Is the bar pressure the same as 08 or more now?

A bit more I'm told but still not heavy, very direct feel, no pulleys in the system at all.

poor relative said...
Do the kites still respond OK to over sheeting?

I think they will tolerate a bit, but I have not flown them yet and have not asked the ozone crew that specific question, sorry.

poor relative said...
Is the chicken loop that same molded high quality togh plastic stuff?

Yes, Megatron lives on, but I have not seen a complete bar yet.

poor relative said...
Can i have one.....please?

Yes, send us your credit card details and you can have as many we can fit on the card!

Here are some pics of the Intinct Light XC as the kite will be known, Matt Taggart was desperate to test it in some too light cross off conditions in Raglan NZ, to his extreme surprise some Orcas joined in!!!!!

I've got more pics of the other models, and will upload them in another post. New names for the kites, but these pics are of final production protos, that do not have the screenprint overlay graphic.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

24 Nov 2008 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Everyone

Below are some words from Matt Taggart, regarding the new 2009 Instinct range, more info and pics soon.

"Rob Whitall is on fire producing incredible designs that are superior to the current Instinct range which is great news for us all.

Not only do they fly better but the Instincts also benefit from having only 4 lines. The current configuration of 5 line Instincts has been one of the stronger feedback points to me from many of you asking for only 4 lines.

The new bar system also features a through the bar safety system which was the other most asked for request. The kites feature a new clean designed bag plus our new excellent design for the colour scheme that features on every kite from now on with a sexy print plan with logos and branding that look mind-blowing.

We have been busy taking on all your feedback and adding these ideas into the kites design. Rob is very excited and now we are all together in Raglan with what Rob reckons is the ultimate design base (why I moved the team here) you will see the benefit of improved products and marketing backup.

The new names for the range.

Instinct Light XC

Instinct SPORT +

Instinct EDGE RX

As you can see from the attached pics the Instinct design is completely new for all models with Rob making incredible changes to the kites design. These are not just revamped Instincts but entirely new designs including plan forms, strut positions, layout and bridle plans and they fly and perform amazingly well.

Raglan has a diverse group of active & very talented Kite surfers and also Dominik is here for 5 weeks to help Rob with the testing and work needed and everyone that rides the new 09 Protos is blown away with how beautiful they are to ride and super smooth feeling design.

Attached are some pics of me Kitesurfing with the LIGHT 09 12m with a pod of Killer Whales on Saturday that Robbie took. Was quite an intense experience as you can imagine!

Looking forward to have them out there asap but alls looking good for an early 09 release with Jan the planned date BUT we will be working towards releasing some sizes as finished early so you can get them out there.

Regards

Matt"

Any questions please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. I nearly had a kite for Mambo, but time has slipped past us again and it won't be ready for another week or so, we don't want to ship one here that is not a full production kite with complete graphics.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Macca Wollongong
NSW, 295 posts
27 Nov 2008 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

I dont know what to think about them, first look at that bridle all i could think of was the waroo with no pullies.

Personally i loved the 5th line and anti invert line on the previous models, and as you mentioned the only bad think about it was the occasional wrap o the TE tip.

and why does everyone like below bar safety systems, I love there only being one line thru my bar, but then again i hav never had a bad kitemare (yet), and it hasnt bothered me rearching above the bar to unclip the flagging line.

The kite its self looks awesome built once again, nice simple graphics on it, and a solid kite,

I guess time shall tell on how well the new 4 line set up is, ozone being ozone i wont discount it yet, i gather it will be awesome as per typical ozone

:D

Megatron lives :D that thing is awesome! best loop ever!

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
27 Nov 2008 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I reckon the new graphic looks like the old "Space invader".

I kinda like the old 5 line too and am happy with the older system, but as Macca says, I wait until I can ride the new kites, If Ozone reckon it is better than the current model, then it will be. Ozone don't release rubbish. Should be a pretty exciting year for Ozone.

Bring it on I say!

Good winds,

10 Dec 2008 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

ozonekites.com/water

More news on the 2009 kites, more pics, but they are still not the finished screenprinted versions.
Its looking like we will not get sample kites until late December.
From the RSS feed

"Hi everyone, Yesterday was a fantastic day! We went to the beautiful and untouched Aotea Harbour, 50 minutes drive South of Raglan (NZ) to finalize the testing of the production samples of the '09 Sport +. We managed to ride the 5, 7 ,9, 11 and 13m all in the same day! The wind conditions rose and dropped as the day wore on allowing us to complete those all important finishing touches. After riding the 13m, Robbie compared the '08 model to the '09 model, " I am just so happy that we have a kite with such a smooth progressive feeling plus a wider sweet spot, I really like the fact that I can feel where the kite is more than the 08's". Hugh (Ozone ripper and Product manager) tore it up on the 13m noticing the difference in feel and how well its performing back to back to an 08; "with a big kite like the 13m you just don't expect to do the same things as you can do on the smaller kites but this thing is amazing, I love it." The Fluctuating wind allowed Robbie to ride the 5m upon arrival and then later switch easily to the larger sizes as the wind dropped during the day giving another great opportunity to make sure the range has the same feeling throughout the sizes. Matt and Dom continued work on the re-launch characteristics and safety system, relentlessly crashing the kites like men possessed to retest the relaunching capabilities with only positive results. Plus we had some friends as kitesurf newbie's learning to kitesurf out on the 09's doing their best as all beginners do to put a kite into the worst possible situation! All aspects of the safety system have been through the ringer the past 6 months with the through the bar flag out working smoothly and every time. We are stoked with the easy re-launch, just turn the bar and the kites rotate and launch. No need to reach up and grab the leaders for that extra tweak like on the large size 08's. Another day of riding on the new 4-line pulley-less kites and again they consistently out-performed last years models in all areas with simplicity working in our favour. Overall Robbie is very happy with this year's kites and as his own worst critic, this is a good thing indeed! The Ozone team are stoked on the '09 kites and we can't wait to see them out there in your hands. Cheers Team Ozone"

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
12 Dec 2008 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Whats going to be the sizing on the edges....will there be a 10?

17 Dec 2008 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, no 10M in the EdgeRX, sizes will be 7/9/11/13, just thought you would like to see a pic of a full production proto (sport+), they are getting a lot closer now.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
17 Dec 2008 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

I need to investigate closer.
Steve please send me one as soon as you get them a 9 should do so i can conduct a closer inspection.
I'll pay postage

Ozone make boards?

17 Dec 2008 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Talk to Darren, you know him right? He is your local Ozone sugar daddy! :-)
Cannot say much about Ozone boards, but they will be coming into production fairly soon I hope. Ozone are involved in talks with manufacturers now.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Dec 2008 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rellie,

I hear the Ozone boards are finished and ready to go into production, but the crew are leaving it and some other projects aside for the moment to give their full attention to the new kites.

I received a few pics of the new kites this morning. I want the new white ones (pictured below).

We were supposed to get a demo kite, but I have all but given up on it arriving before the production models, but you never know. Ozone never seem to disappoint.

Sweet! Not long to wait now eh? I can feel the excitement mounting ..... for me anyway. I'm really looking forward to these kites.

Need some sugar Rellie?

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
18 Dec 2008 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Any pics of the bar lads?

I really hope that they haven't stuffed the edge and that it retains those edge qualities ie grunt boost and hang.
Was lit on my 7 yesterday and having a complete blast such a stable well behaved grunty little devil.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
18 Dec 2008 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Kitehard said...

Hey Rellie,

Need some sugar Rellie?

sure do daddyo

Abesy
WA, 266 posts
18 Dec 2008 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

white one for meeeeee tooooo please.....

newo
WA, 250 posts
18 Dec 2008 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

hope they are ready 4 kitestock

the gaz
WA, 172 posts
18 Dec 2008 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good, can't wait to demo.

Darren expect a call.

ANY WORD ON KITESTOCK?

ianmac
WA, 267 posts
18 Dec 2008 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

hey froggy are you going to get that 11 mtr edge out on saturday? would be excellent for some serious hang time also an excellnt time for Slack to get a new kite as well , his is looking a little tired !!!!

the gaz
WA, 172 posts
18 Dec 2008 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be getting the beer out, not sure what kite though.

I think Slack is going to join Team RRD, another solo effort.

ianmac
WA, 267 posts
18 Dec 2008 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

the gaz said...

I'll be getting the beer out, not sure what kite though.

I think Slack is going to join Team RRD, another solo effort.

well if he needs to get a smaller kite i suppose thats ok

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Dec 2008 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

I promise promise promise to have a truck full of all the usual favourite toys for Kitestock

I hope to have some stock of the new gear by mid January at the earliest, by end at the latest.

Ozone are working hard this year for us Aussies so we can have our new toys shortly after the new year. They really do listen and love our input. Don't worry, I'm going to be at the front of the queue with my wishlist and a big truck LOL.

Cheers,

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
22 Dec 2008 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

All the guff has just been put up on the Ozone web site-

ozonekites.com/products/water-kites

Better, tastier, sexier, hotter than before etc etc... It will be interesting to see. The bar and flag out safety certainly looks pretty clean.....

I'm going crazy stuck infront of the 'poota and it's blowing 30 knots out there.....AAAAAAAAAARGH!

23 Dec 2008 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Some more info from Matt Taggart and a pic of the 2009 9M Instinct Light XC

"LIGHT XC 09 12m.

As you can see its looking amazing and very different to the 08 model. Notice how Rob has moved the tip strut one panel in closer to center strut. This makes for a lot less flapping and a better structure to the kite overall. You can also see how Rob’s designs feature a thicker LE and Struts BUT by having a thinner/cleaner profile with less area where sail joins LE on profile Robs designs are more efficient as a profile cutting through the air.

Rob has also not added profile to the tip section strut attachment point and utilizes the LE as the main feature of the profile therefore giving a knife like wingtip that slices through the air faster than ever.

That’s the layman’s terms on what I see and feel from riding and looking at Robs amazing creations….for more detailed info from Rob check out the website products page for his designer notes ;-)

Merry Xmas

Matt T"

Cya and

goodwinds

Steve

Slack
WA, 685 posts
23 Dec 2008 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

I have 2 mates that are Ozone nuts (could even drop the Ozone) and love their 07/08 Sport and Edges so I can’t comment on their view of the 2008 Light but was the 08 Light really that flawed?

My background is mathematics and I would have thought by now the modelling of kite characterises would have been well and truly sorted and amazing quantum leaps forward in basically the same kite design would be unobtainable.

Does this dealer blurb really belong in “Gear reviews”? Just reads like advertising hype to me and belongs on your company web sites.

Merry Xmas, Good winds, New Year etc. etc. to all especially to all those with those flapping old 08 kites.

Cheers
Slack

Disclaimers:

1. I’ve had a crap session today and I’ve been drinking (lots).
2. I know of Kitehard I don’t worship him but I do have great respect for his kiting knowledge and I am looking forward to his reviews.
3. I doubt now that I’ll ever be able to get a good deal on an Ozone kite.

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Dec 2008 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Tony,

Classic comments! LOL.

I am holding back any judgement on the new kites until they find their way onto my harness hook.

I love the current models and reckon they will be doing really well to better them. I am both excited and nervous about the new kites. I'm not going to speculate until they are here so along with the rest of you, I await anxiously.

I did however speak to Matt Taggart and mentioned my concerns over the new 4-line design as opposed to the 5th setup. He assured me I need not worry and that the new designer (Rob) has produced better kites than what we currently have.

I do however, have to take into account the quality and performance of every single Ozone product I have had anything to do with, and can only assume that the new kites will be as good or better than previous.

Not long to wait now I hear that the our christmas pressie may be the new 2009 ordering system going online for Christmas

Come and see us for a demo Tony, you know that even at list price, the Ozones are a good deal

It's all good. Good wind, good sunshine, good kites, good mates, good beaches ...... where else but WAAAAAAA!

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
24 Dec 2008 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

How bout the all important question - Pricing?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ozone 2009 news" started by Kitepower Australia