Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Shinn Ultrasonic

Created by eppo > 9 months ago, 3 Nov 2013
eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Nov 2013 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

For all you shinn lovers, I've spent the last week on the old Super Shinn and the new Ultrasonic.

I have but a few things to say as I have collated a few reviews from Mike Birt and John B, these guys are so good at describing how these boards work, I can't compete. I concur with what they say, although I do you leave you with some passing comments.

So I thought WTF at least you guys can read some quality descriptions from the UK and the guys that have been on them more than anyone else on the planet.

Mike....

This writeup would be easy were I to say that the new Ultrasonic could be put in a specific slot, alongside boards that we all know, surrounded on both sides by extremes that we are all already familiar with, but it can't. It has Shinn DNA in there, you can feel it and see it have the same effects; no spray in the face, no pressure spikes through the knees, no nervousness, a very active and well designed flex that doesn't invert or soggy up the board. That said the Ultrasonic strikes a so far unseen feel and drive. It's a new relationship between the power you put in and what comes back. It's this that makes the board stand out from the rest of the range.

Firstly, you'll notice that it doesn't really loose an inch sideways for every meter it moves forward. You can feel that rail grip, and you can flex it, but you can't bully it sideways. A monk will let you crab, in fact, you can move it virtually anywhere you want it to go under your feet, no matter what the speed, load or water state, but the Ultrasonic grips, albeit with flex, control and manners, but when you push, it will push back. As a result you'll notice staggering upwind ability. First tack out and I was 40% further upwind, so it's not only noticeable in feel but measurable in upwind ability too.

The other thing I noticed on the first few runs was the tip size. I've just been down to the van to measure them for a rider on here - 3" off they are 348mm on the 135x41 U/S vs 320mm on the 132x41 Monk F. Whilst this is just one measurement of two very different outlines it's quite a difference. That tip is just one aspect that makes a significant divergence between these two boards. It drives more through the back foot which pushes your stance further forward to even out your leg pressure, and you find much more of the rail under your feet. Furthermore that rail is pointing the way it's going, and it's efficient, precise and powerful. It's a different stance, one I would say that is not uncomfortable, nor unstable. The board is still engineered to, and effective in, keeping it's head and your eyes away from the water, yet it requires more energy to sustain. The other thing it develops is a lot of, is what we would call "stamp pop". Stamp on the tail and it springs you out of the water. Due to the power you can develop with this thing there is a lot of energy accessible with comparatively small kites.

The more and more time I spent on the board the more I began to appreciate these traits and start to explore it's abilities. For sure you can ride this harder and progress further than any other board Mark has made so far, and from what I hear he absolutely loves this board personally. Swapping regularly between the two, the Monk is for sure the easy respite between the higher energy sessions of the Ultrasonic, but it's clear the Ultrasonic is capable of things the Monk would never be able to do. Anything that involves height, the Ultrasonic excels in. Compared to the Supershinn it's sharper, more direct and more alive, but also more committed. Driven and pushed, the stability is the same, but the ability much higher.

I'd say that the Ultrasonic delivers a new level of performance in the range. Yes it's aggressive; it pushes back, forces its whole rail in the water, shifts your stance forward into a more commanding and committed position, but it gives you the manners to help you deal with this load for longer spells than you would think possible when you compare it to some of the other similar stance'd boards I have tried. It minds it's manners in chop, and feels very dependable and locked in at high speed without any nervousness. It will push you though, it's no lawn mower, and unless you push back then you will be it's pet.

Like I said earlier, for the last 3 years Mark has made variations on a theme, and that theme has come to appeal to a large group riders. If you own a Shinn you can move between all the different boards you'll appreciate that there is a great big portion of your own Shinn's dna in any other model, and that your stance is easily at home between them. That said there are riders out there who may not gel with this style as easily as we do, it's true - apparently there are people who don't like shinn boards (I have never met one though ). To them I say try the Ultrasonic. The technology that makes our previous boards so successful has been reborn, quite possibly into something that appeals to your style like nothing we have done before.

To those of you who own Monks or other Shinn boards I say, try the Ultrasonic if you are looking to push your riding further, but don't expect it to be a gift, for you'll have to step up to get the most from it. If you are not energised to start something new then there is still nothing around that makes high power, high speed riding as easy and comfortable as the Monk. In that, the Monk is a gift, and I still love that board. Hangover, late night, woke up with two left feet, locked the small kite in the car, there is nothing around that brings so much power and fun with such dependability and ease under load.

Monk = High speed, high load, "boost pop" with easy and versatile feel.
Ultrasonic = edgy and loads of "stamp pop", with heaps of rail bite that will push you as hard as you push it.
ADHD = wakestyle carve pop, that comes from hooking into a carve to hyper load your lines before you release that rail.

JB
The Ultrasonic ??? it???s a Shinn, but not as we know it!

To start I???m going to give a bit of my Shinn history ??? 130 original Monk, 132 original, 135 Super Shinn, 132 Monk Beast, 133 Street and for the last year 132 Monk Forever plus a recently added aW16 Speedball!

Now I love the Monk ??? it is a ballistic missile that makes the most of the worst conditions and you can blast your way through chop in comfort and pull the trigger for big boosts on the crappiest of ramps. It feels very high performance, but it???s secret is that it does make things easy and you feel like a bit of a kiting rock star!

The original Monk was giant leap forward with the CC rocker, flex pattern and performance redefining the freeride board market and Mark had truly designed something special. The tech and learning from the design then filtered through the range to create that ???Shinn feel??? which started with the Monk. So in many ways the other boards in the range are different, but they retain that feel and it was this this always drew me back to the Monk and I only realized why today.

Previously I have wanted more unhooked pop, which the SuperShinn and the Street delivered, but to me they have felt like a modified Monk and what was given on one hand was taken away on the other i.e. more pop less aggressive carve. It was this diminished ???Monkness??? (although better in other aspects) that would on those ???Monk days??? leave me feel as if I was missing something.

Now the Ultrasonic - it is definitely a Shinn but it is so different to the Monk and the other boards in the range that I don???t feel is if I???m riding something modified from the original. It is a completely new strain of Shinn ??? yes it has the same family tree, but like Mike said above it is something totally different ??? and this is very exciting.

I rode the 135x41 for two hours powered on a 12m VX in some choppy onshore conditions. It is comfortable with even loading, no spray (it is a Shinn) and it handles chop very easily but feels different to the other Shinn boards that just blast through it at full pelt. It doesn???t feel as fast and that instant Monk acceleration is not as apparent, but it somehow feels coiled and ready to explode.

Now you can use this to get some excellent hooked in jumps to load and tension the lines, but here it is no Monk. If you want exhilarating full throttle hooked in riding then the Monk excels; however if you want to unhook the Ultrasonic beats not only the Monk but the rest of the previous range hands down. The pop it has engineered into it is phenomenal (and so begins the debate about pop).

You can get pop from any board and it is a word bandied about a lot without people really giving context to what they are doing/want. When I say pop here I???m looking at the ability to load the tail/board unhooked while staying as square-on to the kite as possible (small carve/ollie). My experience is the more carve it takes to load the more off-centre us mortals (non pros) end up from the kite i.e. you twist through your mid-section as it throws you off the water ??? like having opposing forces working on you?

However, some boards almost seem to store the kinetic energy for release at will with a snap ??? like bending a ruler over the edge of a table and it springs back. I remember trying the first Airsuh FS that the late Colin McCulloch designed and thinking ???ah so this is what pop is??? as it did ping you off the water with a spring like feeling through, as Mike said, stamping the tail. The Ultrasonic falls into this category, but unlike some boards that do this it is not a complete tooth-jarring bastard, or a banana shaped power sucking wake monster.

As I said it feels coiled. You unhook, load your back leg and it snaps you off the water. It won???t move an inch it just bites until you release and this means you remain in the optimal body positron square onto the kite ??? the Monk you could pop but it took an aggressive carve and you could push the tail out at times. Landings are excellent ??? it feels stable and grips without throwing you off or over the board. The Monk (mine on 43mm fins) felt altogether more frantic but the Ultrasonic is just smooth and with even with bigger fins can also be broken loose and spun toeside

Unlike Mike I never found it that demanding ??? you can use the huge rail bite to go upwind without having to feel as if you???re working hard. It felt natural, you can stand very upright and you almost relax??? the Monk yeah you could to an extent, but why would you??? then when you want BANG explosive power on tap. Awesome. I can???t wait to get it in some flatter water and really push it.

Now my beloved Monk??? I will miss you and if I were to only have one board then it would probably be you? Now though I have the Speedball for the aggressive carving and hooked-in boosting where again it feels different enough to not make me think ???why not the Monk???? Plus now I have the Ultrasonic ??? undeniably a Shinn, but a completely new version. The original Monk was Tim Burton???s Batman (the first movie only), the Ultrasonic is the Christopher Nolan version.

John.B

I had another session on the Ultrasonic yesterday in low to moderate power conditions with some flat water lagoons on an outgoing tide at Luce Bay. This confirmed that the POP on this board is just incredible and even when you feel you are barley powered you can generate enough to get some big S-bends. It is also surprisingly nimble and you can break it free slide it around and play about - rode about a mile or so up the bay and on the downwind leg was 'surfing' the mush. Even with the wide tips it won't catch as there is enough rocker to lift these clear and although it doesn't carve as good as others in the range it is no slouch.

For this style of board it is surprisingly dynamic and although they are in many ways hugely different the distance between this and my Speedball is not as great as I imagined it would be. I reckon the Ultrasonic will really appeal to a lot of people... for me it has somehow made the whole range complete as I was after a board with explosive POP but I didn't want to miss what the Shinn boards offered in terms of chop handling comfort and dynamism (ie not a tooth rattling plank or a bannana). For Mark to have created something that delivers both IMO is something quite special... it has for me surpassed the WTF moment the original Monk caused... pure genius.

Ok.. without being too confusing they are similar, but very different?!

Think of the SS as a tweaked Monk where the tech and shape has been extrapolated into giving something with more pop. It is a variation on a recipe where the ingredients are adjusted so it is stiffer and has more grip and drive??? but the flavour is still very similar?

Now the Ultrasonic is from the same chef, but he has taking his skill and learning from the previous range and came up with a completely different recipe. You can still recognise the signature elements, but the flavour is something totally new.

If you are into hooked in stuff then the US might not be the best option? You can ride it similar to other Shinn boards but optimally it wants you square-on, upright and driving it. This means it is great for unhooking as the position feels very natural and you don???t get out of shape by having to carve fast and hard ??? you bear off, straighten/unhook, then load and stomp it for explosive pop.

It does also work well hooked but if you are used to the Monk then you will have to adjust your riding style and you show it who is in charge. The rail likes to be engaged and the pop is different as it is about releasing the edge by driving against it ??? it will carve/pop with the kite higher but you need to be aware of how much rail there is. Flat water then no problem but if you hit small waves/kickers/chop to do this then it is not as forgiving as the Monk.

I'm back, how's ya eyes....

As you can see they do indeed write an awesome review. I like chatting with guys, they really know their sht.

A number of riders here (the freeride possy down here of crazy nuts) and they all felt the same.

The super shinn is a little too much like the monk, but in the ocean it excelled. I actually preferred it to my laluz. But on the flat, for pure load and pop, nah it fell short compare to the laluz.

The US I found hard going in the ocean. Way to much rail in the water for me and the others. It really keeps a lot of rail in the water and you gotta work that back leg as it pushes back against you. Its still ultra smooth due to the flex and not landings from loops, unhooked f ups like I do, was soft as butter.
The square tips also don't help.

The SS and the laluz were a lot better in the ocean.

On the flat. Yeh the back foot stamp pop is extraordinary. A few crew who ride softer boards like the laluz, raptor pro ltd etc really liked it (although don't underestimate the laluz for doing just that as well!) . You can really load and spring, no need for carve loads, just stamp that back foot down and GO! Also as john said it does keep you square on when unhooked.

A rider who rides 'harder' boards found the board to soft, too flexy, I'd say would never be a shinn fan. This board reeks of the shinn feel. Felt at high speeds under high loads the flex was too great and the board 'chattered' along too much. Didn't cut enough. What I noticed with the laluz outline, it starts fairly thick in the middle (2013) then really tapers off. The middle of the board is quote stiff, then gets flexy near the tips. The SS and the US seem to have a similar thickness throughout, tapering a little to the tips and have much more flex throughout the board. Of course it is progressive from middle to outer but not as dramatic change as the laluz). This makes the shinn boards feel very 'alive' under foot.

But I'd say for those shinn fans looking for a much more advanced freestyle board that still has the shinn feel I'd say try one. Its a major major step up from the SS in this arena anyhow.

Eppo

Ps enjoying getting on more boards, its another whole dimension to this sport.

Damn I forgot, big thanks to puppet at KSS for getting the boards down to us, we appreciate it.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
3 Nov 2013 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Glad you kept it short!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Nov 2013 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Well they are those guys words not mine....sorry but they really do describe it so well, its worth reading if you are a shinn fan.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
3 Nov 2013 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Well they are those guys words not mine....sorry but they really do describe it so well, its worth reading if you are a shinn fan.

Worth reading all the more if you arent. Yet.
Sounds to me that neither the SS or the Ultrasonic are going to corner the market over the Monk.
Awesome techi reviews but it all says to me that, for a huge % of kiters, the Monk remains the Go-To board for most riders, most days, most locations.
Be keen to unleash the Ultrasonic on the flat water bandits at Woodies. A freestyle board with comfort & feel ???? Lets see.

speed brother
QLD, 126 posts
3 Nov 2013 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

I'll keep it short. Rode the 135 US todayin 20 knts and big sea with lots of chop. Was very powered up with a 2014 12m Rebel. Used to own a 132 monk now ride 2 x Dundees 135 and 131. Rode the US back to back with the Dundee all afternoon.
The board is very easy to ride, slightly slower than the monk but as fast off the wind. It feels less hectic to ride. Doesn't go upwind as efficiently as either the Dundee or Monk but is more comfortable, high rocker and narrow width help this. I used small fins but I can edge well, very loose in turns when you use back front pressure.
The board has excellent pop and you get better air than you do on both the Dundee and the Monk, just edge hard and pop!
I will try it on flatter water after work this week. I like it; its a board that ex monk riders like myself can push a bit more rather similar to the later model Jaime pros 2012-2013. It is still easy on the knees and splash free. A great board. Well done Mr. Shinn!

Puppet I think I prefer this to the Monk.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
4 Nov 2013 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh speed brother I do as well. But I never did get along with the monk as well as some/most. Felt the feedback was too vague unless riding like a lunatic at high speeds, which is after all is what it does best.

Infact I liked both the SS and the US more than the monk.

Still the laluz ltd for me though...

Enjoy shinn riders....

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
5 Nov 2013 2:21AM
Thumbs Up

I just bought a brand new 2012 Xenon Luluz 135 a few hours ago, cant wait to try it out,

I demo a 2011 Xenon Luluz 135 3 days ago,

Wind was very light with small chop

It felt unreal,powered unwind and cut thought the small chop like nothing

Hope it goes great in 30 kts,hope its not too floaty

Alexandre
2 posts
6 Nov 2013 4:24AM
Thumbs Up

Great review Eppo!
When are we supposed to see Super Shinn 2014?

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
6 Nov 2013 6:39AM
Thumbs Up

There isn't one. uS replaces it. Glad you enjoyed it, a bit long but all the juice is there at least.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Shinn Ultrasonic" started by eppo