port
VIC, 446 posts
18 Aug 2010 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

2011 Australian Blokart Association Open

Hosted by the Melbourne Blokart Club

Location Oliver's Lake Horsham Victoria

Saturday 22nd January 2011.

• 12.30 – 15.30hr Registration & Scrutineering, Sailing at Oliver's Lake.

Day One
Sunday 23rd January 2011.

• 9.00hr – 9.30hrs Registration & Scrutineering. Oliver's Lake
• 9.30hr Briefing. Oliver's Lake
• 10.00hr Racing Starts. (Short Course).
• 14.00hr Marathon/Endurance

Day Two
Monday 24th January 2011.

• 10.00hr Briefing Oliver's Lake
• 10.30hr Racing Starts. (Short Course).
• 15.00hr Marathon/Endurance.
• Event Dinner TBA

Day Three
Tuesday 25th January 2011.

• 10.00hr Briefing Oliver's Lake
• 10.30hr Racing Starts. (Short Course).
• 15.00hr Marathon/Endurance.
• Presentation TBA.

Sailing Rules as per IBRA rules 2010.

Performance/Production Weight Divisions.

Under 70 kg Lightweights.
70 – 84.9 kg Middleweights.
85 – 99.9 kg Heavyweights.
100+ kg Super Heavyweights.

#61656; .All competitors will be weighed at registration.

#61656; Competitors are not permitted to weigh in with artificial weights.

#61656; All weight categories may be evenly adjusted once registration has closed.

#61656; Races may contain more then one weight division.

#61656; Races will continue as circumstances allows at suggested times which will be confirmed at each race days briefing.

#61656; Low point scoring will be used. IE: 0.75st = 1pt, 2nd = 2pts ect……

#61656; Points from marathons will be counted.

#61656; A DNS/DNF scores number of entries plus 1.

#61656; Competitors may drop 1 in 8 races, or multiples there of.

#61656; The course may be altered b4 a race start. Competitors will be notified.

#61656; Races will assemble at the start area where a 2-minute countdown signal will be given.

#61656; Race starts will be signalled through a PA.

#61656; A >= 8 knots of steady wind is required to commence racing. (At the discretion of the race officer).

#61656; The race officer may abandon racing should the wind drop <8 knots (at the discretion of the race officer).

port
VIC, 446 posts
19 Aug 2010 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Hills.

daisygirl
QLD, 109 posts
19 Aug 2010 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Is there any information on closest accommodation , how far from Melbourne, is a rental car needed if flying down or will a coach operate, etc, etc??

Being at the end of school holidays I am thinking will need to book flights asap to get any decent deals

Broken Mast
QLD, 44 posts
19 Aug 2010 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Great news guys. Looking forward to a trip to Victoria.

As this is the last week of school holidays Australia wide and accommodation will be at a premium has a deal been made with any accommodation house for the Open as was done with Rydges each year. Camping is not allowed and inadvisable anyway.

The ambient temp at Oliver's Lake is likely to be high 30's, will appropriate first aid measures and shade structures be put in place.

See you all there.

Rocket Ship
23 posts
19 Aug 2010 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

All,

Entry form will be available next week & will give detail about distances form Melbourne to Horsham, along with accommodation deals that have been secured for the event.

I am sure there is a coach/train service available form Melbourne CBD to Horsham, the event committee will not be making these arrangements. Hire a car, cheep, & you will need to make transfers from Horsham to the Olivers Lake each day.

Broken Mast
QLD, 44 posts
21 Aug 2010 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

Two questions.

Is the Open now run by the Australian Blokart Association?

Are the A.B.A paying for the event thus ensuring the naming rights or is this the usual Ben and Brian show, making everyone believe that they are the be all and end all of Blokart racing in Australia?

The reason I am asking is because aba has never previously put up any real financial assistance and the trophies I have won in the past all say Australian Open Blokart Championship. And only one has any mention of aba. (as it is printed on the trophies for that year which were paid for by a third party, not aba)

daisygirl
QLD, 109 posts
22 Aug 2010 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Is this the same time of year and same place that previous years Melbourne Blokart Club has tried to have their own events and posts on the forum after the event reveal that there has hardly any wind and most of the weekend is spent sitting around??

Why will next year be any similar?

port
VIC, 446 posts
22 Aug 2010 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Daisy Girl unless you go you will never know.
No guarantees in anything we do in life.

daisygirl
QLD, 109 posts
22 Aug 2010 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rocketship, Dont sent me private PMs like the one you sent me below unless you are willing to step out and advise your real name. I am just the gutsy one who is asking the questions that other people are asking me.

Its not the first time you have personally attacked me so step up and be a man and make yourself known as to who you are and which club you are from. I have asked several of your friends last time and no one was willing to oust you so I am now taking this public......

Its people like you who make people drop out of the sport rather than get involved in it.

*** EDITED BY ADMIN: Please do not post private PM's publicly. This is a fairly strict rule of Laurie's, the forum owner. - Hills ****

hills
SA, 1622 posts
23 Aug 2010 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

I have edited DG's post as Laurie insists that private messages are not posted publicly.

I agree that this sort of interaction does not help promote the sport of Landyachting or Blokarting.

I assume this is not about asking the organisers for a guarentee that there will be good conditions on the day and respectfully ask that you resolve any other issues you may have offline.

The intention of this forum is to promote landyachting and blokarting regardless of it being an official ABA event or not. It is not intended to air issues that you may have.

Thanks

Phil

BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
24 Aug 2010 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Okay, time for a few facts to enter the discussion.

1. The call went out through the delegates of the ABA for expressions of interest to host the next National Titles a couple of months ago. CQBC said they would do it if no one else volunteered. They did it last year and given the work involved, it was not fair to dump it on them again. MBC was the only other club to volunteer.

2. We selected a salt lake because we thought that many of you would be getting a bit tired of just sailing up and down a beach. Yeppoon is nice, but it has already been 3 years in a row. The salt lake offers more sailing options and challenges that will hopefully stretch your skills. Surely, that cannot be a bad thing.

3. Like any venue, Oliver's Lake is subject to the weather. We probably won't have a cyclone like last year at Yeppoon, but I think we can do without that. There has been times when there has been a lack of wind at Oliver's Lake, but this can happen anywhere and is part of the luck of the draw in this sport.

4. Oliver's Lake is not in the middle of nowhere. It is a 20 min drive from Horsham, a large country town with a population of over 14,000 people. Accommodation in Horsham is plentiful with everything from caravan parks to hotels and motels and plenty of B&B's. Horsham is 3 hours drive west of Melbourne and is surrounded by many tourist attractions including The Grampians National Park. If we do have to cancel the racing for a day, you wont be stuck sitting around a swimming pool. unless that is what you want to do.

5. There are trains and coaches that go from Southern Cross Station in Melbourne to Horsham, and an shuttle bus that can get you to Southern Cross from the Airport. I am sure that you will be able to get a lift to the lake from Horsham if you really want to go without the car. The truth is that grabbing a car is going to be a lot simpler if you are lugging around a blokart.

6. One of the problems with events such as these is that those with kids are reluctant to pull them out of school. The dates for 2011 were selected to minimise the chance of this beeing needed. There is always a balance between dodging school holiday prices and forcing people to take their kids out of school. Last year, the even was a week before Easter to avoid the holiday prices, but some kids had to miss school as a result. If we leave the 2011 event until later in the year, the lake area gets really hot. If we leave it until even later, the wind dies and the rain starts. Like all venues, there is a 'sweet spot' with regard to the weather and this is it.

7. The ABA is now 6 people (up from 5 in the past month or two), only one of whom will ever live near the venue for an Australian Titles. That person is invariably involved in the organisation of the event. I'm not sure how much assistance the other 5 could be living hundreds, if not thousands of kilometers away. Also, any money the ABA can ever have can only come from club members. We made a concious decision that money is better served remaining with the clubs. The ABA will never be in a position to financially assist the running of the event as the only way it could do so is to take money from the clubs.

Regards,
Brian Campbell

djb
QLD, 174 posts
24 Aug 2010 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Finally some information.

When people are given the information they will not have to guess what is happening and jump to their own conclusions.

The more communication we can give to our members, the better informed they will be and the sport will not have the guessing games and untruths that can develop.

As far as pseudonyms on forums, I would like to see more transparency and truth in the authors details as their are many keyboard heroes out there that like to stir the pot but will not sign their posts. Some of them from towards the top of the ladder.
Many forums are requesting more personal details so that at least the administrators know who is throwing stones but it would be better to have at least a members list and their details on it. Ideally, people putting their name to their post.
CQBC are in the process of doing that on our forum.

Darren Bianchi

Bailey
VIC, 17 posts
25 Aug 2010 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

The Melbourne Blokart Club would like to invite blokarters nationally and internationally to the 2011 ABA Open Championships. These will be held from Saturday 22nd January 2011 through to Tuesday 25th January at Olivers Lake near Horsham, Victoria. The dates have been chosen so that the event is still during school holidays, hopefully making a family trip to Victoria more possible. The day after the event is the Australia day public holiday, which may also help with travel arrangements.

Oliver's Lake is a venue unlike any most blokarters will have experienced. It is a salt lake that has been dry throughout summer for several years. The surface is firm with very little rolling resistance. Sailing speeds are faster than achieved on beaches and the unique factor is the size of the sailing area. The main area used in the past has been a rectangle of approximately 1,200m x 700m. What this provides is the ability to set a variety of courses including a triangular course for any wind direction. This enables pointing, tacking, gybing and reaching skills to all be tested. The MBC have sailed here at this time of year for the past 3 years. For those who just have to go exploring, the lake extends a further 5km from the main pad. Oliver's Lake is 30 minutes outside Horsham in the midst of farmland. The MBC will provide marquees for shade and toilet facilities on site. Competitors and spectators will need to provide their own food supplies, which can be sourced from several bakeries and supermarkets in Horsham.

Horsham is 300km north of Melbourne Airport almost entirely on 100 or 110kmh highway, so allow about 3 1/4 hrs plus any meal stops to get there. Horsham is a city of 14,000 people that acts as the main trading centre for the region. In January the mean maximum temperature is 30 C and the average afternoon wind speed is 19 kmh. There is a choice of tenting or cabins in our usual base of the Wimmera Lakes Caravan Park, or there are a selection of motels throughout the town.

For those people coming, but not wanting to watch the events everyday, the region provides a number of excursion opportunities. Horsham is only 70 km from Hall's Gap, the picturesque holiday destination township nestled at the foot of the Grampians Ranges. This area offers cafes, shopping, a swimming pool, arguably the best mini golf course in the country, bush walks and scenic drives through the hills. Stawell is the nearest large town to Hall's Gap. Ararat is an old gold mining town 95 km from Horsham, as is St Arnaud. For the more adventureous the well known cities of Ballarat or Castlemaine are each approximately 200 km from Horsham. Horsham itself has a modern indoor / outdoor aquatic centre, mini golf, ten pin bowling, a cinema and pleasant riverside parks and walks. Try www.travelvictoria.com.au to see more about the region.

We look forward to sharing this unique sailing venue with the blokarting community and look forward to your entry in the 2011Australian Blokart Association Open Championships in January.

Regards B.Lazzar

bazl
WA, 669 posts
26 Aug 2010 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Bailey said...

... Competitors and spectators will need to provide their own food supplies, which can be sourced from several bakeries and supermarkets in Horsham.

Will there be water onsite for general consumption
(eg rinsing dusty/salty goggles)

camo4wd
QLD, 16 posts
27 Aug 2010 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Will we be able to freight our blokarts via transport E.G. NQX to a given point at horsham like was available at Yeppoon?

Bailey
VIC, 17 posts
28 Aug 2010 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

camo4wd said...

Will we be able to freight our blokarts via transport E.G. NQX to a given point at horsham like was available at Yeppoon?

NQX have a depot in Melbourne, not sure about Horsham you will need to make enquiries with them.

B.Lazzar

port
VIC, 446 posts
2 Sep 2010 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Entry form has just been released please see attachment.
G.

port
VIC, 446 posts
2 Sep 2010 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

2011 A.B.A OPEN ENTRY FORM

camo4wd
QLD, 16 posts
2 Sep 2010 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

There is no mention of transponder hire or timing. Will there be electronic timing or will it be done manually?
If there is timing is it in the price?

camo4wd
QLD, 16 posts
2 Sep 2010 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

On the Blokart.com.au site the flyer only says two classes of production but it says 4 classes here. Which is it? (In the end it would depend on Numbers of course but will 4 classes be offered)?

Bailey
VIC, 17 posts
2 Sep 2010 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

camo4wd said...

On the Blokart.com.au site the flyer only says two classes of production but it says 4 classes here. Which is it? (In the end it would depend on Numbers of course but will 4 classes be offered)?

As with any event, classes will depend on numbers. Yes 4 classes will be offered depending on numbers.

The entry fee is inclusive of low point scoring. IE: 0.75st = 1pt, 2nd = 2pts ect…

B.Lazzar

camo4wd
QLD, 16 posts
2 Sep 2010 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Bailey said...

camo4wd said...

As with any event, classes will depend on numbers. Yes 4 classes will be offered depending on numbers.

The entry fee is inclusive of low point scoring. IE: 0.75st = 1pt, 2nd = 2pts ect…

B.Lazzar

Thanks for the entry info. You are doing scoring but is is manual or electronic? and is 0.75st meant to be 1st place?

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
6 Sep 2010 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a fun event and I will make every effort to come.

On a sour note, all this bickering and bull$ that tends to hover around the Blokart racing scene needs to stop. The sport will not continue to grow if the fun is destroyed by a few, so stop winging, back the events and their organisers, and arrive at these events remebering that you are very lucky that you even have the chance to sail.

Joe Millen

EDITED by admin to remove insult.

port
VIC, 446 posts
7 Sep 2010 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Well said Joe and thanks for the support.
Graham

Andy B
WA, 130 posts
6 Sep 2010 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Good on you Joe, my hat off to the Melbourne Club for putting their hand up and hosting the event where no other Club would (CQBC excluded of course)

regards
Andy B

Zeus2
QLD, 10 posts
7 Sep 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Flooding reports from the Horsham area in the last 48hrs.
How will this affect the salt lake.???
Will it dry out in 3 months of Victorian summer???
Zeus2

Bailey
VIC, 17 posts
7 Sep 2010 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Zeus2 said...

Flooding reports from the Horsham area in the last 48hrs.
How will this affect the salt lake.???
Will it dry out in 3 months of Victorian summer???
Zeus2

I have spoken to our man on the ground today at Horsham, & he indicated that in the last 40 years Olivers lake has always been dry in the summer, & he expects next year will be the same.

Most years the lake is under water in the winter, this year being no different, the great thing about water on the surface, as the lake dry's out the water is washed from end to end by the wind washing the surface of the lake smooth & flat.

The MBC is has also secured a second venue (tar seal) should the lake un-sailable.

B.Lazzar

Red sails
QLD, 57 posts
11 Sep 2010 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

I request that the Moderator strike arsa's last post as it is offensive not only to the people he is referring to but also the Blokart community as a whole.

Joe these are your sailing allies, competitors and potential customers surely they have a right to ask legitimate questions and make their concerns heard about a National event that was posted publicly here first before club members were informed through their respective club delegates. The remote location whilst being quite appealing for a sailing venue is just that 'remote' and the timing of the event in school holidays, the most expensive time of the year next to Easter is also a legitimate concern.

Graham and Andy should not encourage that kind of talk on a public forum. It is not benefical to anyone to be belittled, let alone the people you sail and compete with. I would expect a public apology be called for from all of you and ask you refrain from this kind of banter in the future.

I certainly agree about the bickering should stop and also it should not be put into this public arena, please voice your concerns through your club delegates and then onto the ABA.

Brett Fisher
BBKC

Andy B
WA, 130 posts
11 Sep 2010 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

I must of missed somthing there Brett, I did not see arsa's last posting who ever he is, and in any event it had no bearing on my post as it was placed after mine.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but I don't understand why you think I'm belittling anyone, where did that come from? I think you have your wires crossed.
I am on the ABA committee and have the utmost respect for my fellow members who all give up their time to formulate the best possible outcome for the benifit and majority of Blokarters Australia wide,we can't please everyone Brett but we are doing the best we can.

Andrew Bates

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
13 Sep 2010 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Did I say something offensive??

Bailey
VIC, 17 posts
30 Sep 2010 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Just a quick update, there will be competitors attending form Vic, SA, NSW, QLD, NZ & maybe WA

We still expect Oliver’s will be usable in the summer & water that is on the lake will be gone. The water that is on the lake at the moment is normal for this time of year.

We have been successful in securing a second venue the Warracknabeal Aerodrome should rain fall close to the event dates.

B.Lazzar

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

"2011 A.B.A BLOKART OPEN TITLES" started by port