Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2024 starboard longboard sup

Created by justaddwater 8 months ago, 18 Nov 2023
justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
18 Nov 2023 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Any feed back on the 2024 starboard longboard sups,, IMO they definitely look the goods,all the things I personally disliked about the old model seemed to have been addressed,and improved,and the new size 9.5x30 124 liters,are very friendly numbers,on paper ,love some feedback on this model in particular.

Surlygringo
84 posts
24 Nov 2023 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi justadd,
I have surfed the 2024 9'5". I found it to be pretty brilliant. First, it is crazy fast on the nose. I am a life long short boarder, years of pumping and driving and gouging and hacking, and all I wanted to do was set this board up and run to the front. It made me want to ride to the end of every wave and then trim into the reform and ride that to shore and then lay in the shallows and laugh. It also turned really well with that wide point back and the low volume rails. Like any board you can crank it around tighter from the very tail, but I also didn't have any problems getting it to make softer turns from further forward. I thought it was easy to surf and forgiving. The nose is pretty straight, but there is enough tail rocker so if you are coming down with the whitewater all you have to do is weight your back foot to stay out of trouble. In spite of the flat rocker I wouldn't say it paddles on the flat any faster than other longboard sups I have ridden. Strangely(and this doesn't really make sense) it seems to glide freakishly well. As I have mentioned I would guess the wide point is a couple inches back of center. The rails are very low volume. It has a very subtle double concave that runs the length of the board until about the center of the fin box where it fades into a flat tail. The concaves are very shallow throughout and in the nose the center vee is just marginally higher than the rails. In the middle of the board it is higher, but still very slight, maybe 1/4". The deck is domed a bit which I really like. I rode it in small waves, mostly shoulder high. I am 6'2" 185#s

if you have specific questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
24 Nov 2023 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks surly great review,,is it a carbon, or limited ? Curious about the weight ,the comment about glide is very encouraging,as I hope they paddle better than my heavily rocker current board.

xurfxup
NSW, 145 posts
26 Nov 2023 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

FYI my 2019 Starboard Longboard 10ft pinetech is 9.8kg with fins attached.
Pretty good for a 10ft board.

Surlygringo
84 posts
26 Nov 2023 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

It is the carbon construction. I have a friend with an accurate scale and I will try to get you a weight in the next few days. I don't mean to sell it short as a paddler, but I think the wide point back makes it feel a little less linear than other longboards I have paddled.

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
26 Nov 2023 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

xurf xup thanks for your response,for me 9.8 is getting towards heavy,my current 10x30 125 liter board is 8.3 kg and I'm trying to at least not go over that

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
26 Nov 2023 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surlygringo said..
It is the carbon construction. I have a friend with an accurate scale and I will try to get you a weight in the next few days. I don't mean to sell it short as a paddler, but I think the wide point back makes it feel a little less linear than other longboards I have paddled.

Surly, the website guesstimates 7.7 kg+or -5%, but it's the real world number I'm after ,I had the previous model 10 ft in carbon and it was heavy! Thanks in advance to yourself and your friend for your time and effort

Surlygringo
84 posts
27 Nov 2023 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Justadd,
no problem. Weighing a board is pretty straightforward, I just want to make sure I get you info from an accurate scale. I am guessing it will be close to your limit. I had a 122ltr New Deal that felt crazy light and yet it was 7.8 kg when I weighed it. I am pretty sure this board is heavier than that new deal. I am like you in that I really like a light board, but I have to admit the fastest paddling longboard sup I ever had was my first one: a first gen fanatic stylemaster 10x30. That thing weighed almost 10kg and had a ton of tail rocker but it paddled like a demon. You could seriously hunt down anything. Of course it surfed a bit like an aircraft carrier but I did have a lot of fun on it.

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
27 Nov 2023 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Surly,I've been on just about every commercial longboard available in oz ,,as they are my preferred ride,the best paddler for me was the 10x29 new deal,but it felt stiff no matter how I finned it!,so what I'm thinking is it maybe more about volume,as my age70+ with really bad shoulders,so the dilemma continues ,the balance between volume..rocker and length,hence the thoughts of the new starby 9.5x30 as it appears to paddle onto and catch waves very easily in vids,which is what I'm looking for ,yeah I'm not Beau and I'm probably 30 years older ,but the board appears to glide into the waves with little effort,and your comments seem to reflect this.

Surlygringo
84 posts
28 Nov 2023 5:06AM
Thumbs Up

Justadd, board came in a hair under 8.2kg. Not terrible, but not as nice on your shoulders as 7.7.

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
28 Nov 2023 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surlygringo said..
Justadd, board came in a hair under 8.2kg. Not terrible, but not as nice on your shoulders as 7.7.

Surly,thanks heaps,that's about what I guessed,and its an ok weight very similar to my current ride,I hope you continue to enjoy the board,and have a safe holiday period with waves

colas
5045 posts
28 Nov 2023 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..
I had the previous model 10 ft in carbon and it was heavy! Thanks in advance to yourself and your friend for your time and effort

Be careful, there seems to be two carbon constructions for Starboard, the "blue carbon" is not sandwich unless explicitly mentioned, hence the weight I guess.

sup.star-board.com/hard-paddle-board-constructions/blue-carbon-construction/
sup.star-board.com/hard-paddle-board-constructions/blue-carbon-sandwich-construction/

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
28 Nov 2023 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Correct Colas,no pvc sandwich in the surf sups ! IMO not a true sandwich construction ,and a little misleading saying carbon with a layer of fibre glass is sandwich construction,they are obviously being made price point using the big word carbon! I personally I would love starboard to go back to the golden era of pvc carbon sandwich from around 2013-2014 ,but would be quite expensive.

colas
5045 posts
28 Nov 2023 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
justaddwater said..
Correct Colas,no pvc sandwich in the surf sups !

Actually, you have PVC sandwich in the ... "blue carbon PVC sandwich" line (but this seems only available for 2024 boards?).

I guess the local importer / distributor may choose to only carry the non-sandwich line if he thinks it would be too expensive for his market.

Surlygringo
84 posts
28 Nov 2023 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

I believe the blue carbon sandwich is only available for the Pro model in their surf line.

theSeb
288 posts
30 Nov 2023 5:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surlygringo said..
I believe the blue carbon sandwich is only available for the Pro model in their surf line.

Yup. It used to be called 'blue carbon pro' construction.

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
2 Dec 2023 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surlygringo said..

Surly,it appears starboard have upgraded there spec sheet on the 2024 longboard sup page ,the blue carbon 9.5x30 was at 7.7 kg..it is now 8.5kg ! Sooo..your 8.2 number seems ok .was it with fins in ?thanks in advance

Surlygringo
84 posts
3 Dec 2023 2:30AM
Thumbs Up

That's with fins, but those carbon fins are really light, so if you were running it with something else it might bump the weight up a ways. I know you have a lot of experience with various longboards but since weight seems to be an important criteria have you considered the Kalama? The 9x28" is crazy light, very stable and a good paddler.

Shlogger
418 posts
3 Dec 2023 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surlygringo said..
That's with fins, but those carbon fins are really light, so if you were running it with something else it might bump the weight up a ways. I know you have a lot of experience with various longboards but since weight seems to be an important criteria have you considered the Kalama? The 9x28" is crazy light, very stable and a good paddler.

The weight is my only beef w the 8'8" Spice I picked up, 9.3 kg's. Could feel it walking down to beach and also on the water. Maybe I'll take a sander to it. ;)

justaddwater
NSW, 696 posts
3 Dec 2023 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Surlygringo said..

Surly,I had the Kalama 9.2 x30 and moved it on probably too soon !as I'm not a fan off chopped square tails and I love pins or rounded pins and the way they flow through turns.plus Dave surfs way back on his board,and that's not me as I tend to surf more forward like most people ,and although @ 28 wide they have a stable reputation I'm done with anything under 30" wide now,your comments re turning further forward is also encouraging,the video of Beau surfing/ pumping the starby from mid board has captured my imagination,again I know its Beau surfing ,but the dynamic of the slight vee and rocker are clearly visible! The weight thing can be over thought,as well,like many have experienced,you need some weight when longboard style supping,it's about a balance of weight for me ,and that's around 8- 8.5 kg..

Surlygringo
84 posts
3 Dec 2023 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Justadd, with that added info about what you are looking for I think you will be very happy with the 9'5" . In my limited experience it has a much more playful feel than other longboards. It is not as tracky. And it does have that fab rounded pintail.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2024 starboard longboard sup" started by justaddwater