Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Hypernut 7'2 X 28 115 liter too wobbly because I started foiling

Created by Camarillo 29 days ago, 27 Mar 2019
Camarillo
135 posts
27 Mar 2019 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

I always had a good time on my Carbon Hypernut 7'2. It was not easy when it was choppy with my 85 kg but worth the trouble.

But I started sup foiling and have to spent a lot time on the foil to learn it.

There is no way that I can switch between my foil setup and my Hypernut except when it is 100% glassy

I don't want to give up normal supping , I am not foiling in waves bigger than waist high (yet) and am looking for a sup that is a lot more stable and has more glide so that I can catch bigger waves earlier. It would also come in handy when the waves are small and only breaking in water too shallow for a foil.

Perhaps a Hypernut 7'6x 30 115 liter? Not so nice on bigger waves?
Or a 10'0 x 29 Longboard 130 liter?
Or a 8'3 x 29 Pro 110 liter?

The above boards are all Starboards but JP Slate 7'8 x 29 , JP Longboard 9'0 x 28 130 liter or JP Surf 8'6 x29 113 liter are also a possibility.
No custom builders where I live and I like the build quality of SB and JP

What should I get?

28 Mar 2019 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Camarillo,
Everyone suffers the problem you are talking about at the start but the more you jump between the 2 the easier it gets.... When I first started foiling I had a 3 foil rule.... 3 foil sessions 1 sup or shortboard (I ride both prone & sup foil & it affects both sup'ing & shortboarding)
Now I jump between my foils & normal board without a problem (I ride a 7'7x29" Jimmy Lewis Destroyer Sup & 5'10 shortboard) maybe the first 10 minutes if it's been a while...
You could go an 8'0 Destroyer as an option...

colas
3095 posts
27 Mar 2019 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jimmy Lewis Boards said..
Everyone suffers the problem you are talking about at the start but the more you jump between the 2 the easier it gets.... [...]
Now I jump between my foils & normal board without a problem

+1, same for me.

Camarillo
135 posts
Friday , 19 Apr 2019 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jimmy Lewis Boards said..
Hi Camarillo,
Everyone suffers the problem you are talking about at the start but the more you jump between the 2 the easier it gets.... When I first started foiling I had a 3 foil rule.... 3 foil sessions 1 sup or shortboard (I ride both prone & sup foil & it affects both sup'ing & shortboarding)
Now I jump between my foils & normal board without a problem (I ride a 7'7x29" Jimmy Lewis Destroyer Sup & 5'10 shortboard) maybe the first 10 minutes if it's been a while...
You could go an 8'0 Destroyer as an option...

I have tried again and again to go back to my normal sup , a 7'2x 28 106 liter Hypernut , but it is not going to work if I don't spent a lot of time it.

So I need a sup that I can use when I cannot ( don't want to) foil because
---it is to shallow where the small waves are breaking
---The waves are too big and hollow

This Destroyer 8' x 30" 115L looks like the board for the big and hollw waves

The Super Frank lean 8'0 x 30"x 4.2" liters 115L seems to be the board for the small waves...

Will the Destroyer also work in small waves? And will the Super Frank work when it is bigger and hollow?

Which of these two boards is more stable ?
I come from a 7'2x 28 106 liter Hypernut and hope to find a board that is a lot more stable and has more glide...

BTW I ordered a Jimmy Lewis Flying V 5'10

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Hypernut 7'2 X 28 115 liter too wobbly because I started foiling" started by Camarillo