Starboard All star 2015 or Lahui Kai Race

Created by speedz18 > 9 months ago, 9 Jun 2015
DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
24 Jul 2015 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA said..
Not sure which Lahui Kai you are referring to DJ but the Szymanski 14' x 27.25 Race is super stable with its big arsed tail.
The LK Manta's have a bit of a roll side to side, but they are a different beast.
I recently tried the new 14' x 26 Team Race and was super impressed with it stability for 26".
Also impressive are the new weights - 11.5kg

I've not paddled that new one that you're on in that vid.. Is anyone down here selling them now RPS is gone..

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
26 Jul 2015 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

I have one of the 14 x 27.25 models DJ, so does Simon A. You're welcome to give mine a run sometime.

robon
114 posts
30 Jul 2015 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SDCounty said..
I live in Carlsbad California. I am in a similar situation. Brian S lives and works in nearby Encinitas, SUPATX has a 10,000 sq.ft facility 20 miles from our home.... this is SUP race country here in San Diego. I demoed the 14x27.25 Lahui Kai Race board yesterday. I was quite impressed. And especially the rock solid feel and stability, particularly in the tail section. I tried a couple of buoy turns and was amazed at the rear stability the tail block offers.

There is a fair amount of nose rocker in the LK, which will do you well in the open ocean and perhaps be a small compromise in the flats.

The only other board I have demoed recently is the Hobie Apex 14x 27.50 The Hobie is lighter by lbs. With nothing other than feel, it seems a little faster. There are more inserts for BOP style handles on the sides than LK Race. In contrast, LK has forward inserts for a GoPro, Speed coach, or a leach. And yes, a few racers, including most notably Annabelle Anderson are forward positioning leaches now for easier removal in beach entry finish type races.

If I had to choose today I would buy LK race 14. Especially if your paddling will include open ocean and beach entry and exits. And as the Starboard Allstar was originally designed by Brian S you'd do yourself good by giving it a go as well. You'll pay less, at least here in the US for the LK and still have a triple carbon finish and about the same weight as the carbon All Star. The LK race is showing up a lot more at the local paddle spots and in races here in San Diego county all the time.

Hi, the Lahui Kai and the AllStar are on my shortlist for my next board, but I was wondering how you found the stability of the Hobie Apex? The Hobie R series are a pretty good bargain and still very light. Tough decision with so many good boards in this range.

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
30 Jul 2015 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

No no

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

AA said..
Not sure which Lahui Kai you are referring to DJ but the Szymanski 14' x 27.25 Race is super stable with its big arsed tail.
The LK Manta's have a bit of a roll side to side, but they are a different beast.
I recently tried the new 14' x 26 Team Race and was super impressed with it stability for 26".

I've not paddled that new one that you're on in that vid.. Is anyone down here selling them now RPS is gone..

No not as yet DJ. But we offer free shipping on these boards to most major centres. How many are you after

I know nothing of the Hobie. Sorry Robon.

PaulShev
VIC, 50 posts
16 Oct 2015 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA said..
No no

DavidJohn said..

AA said..

No not as yet DJ. But we offer free shipping on these boards to most major centres. How many are you after

I know nothing of the Hobie. Sorry Robon.

KR SUP Centre is now selling these - see Chris and Warwick at the shop in the St Kilda Baths complex.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard All star 2015 or Lahui Kai Race" started by speedz18