Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2015 Australian Flatwater SUPFest - March 13-15

Created by PM02 > 9 months ago, 15 Oct 2014
PM02
NSW, 24 posts
15 Oct 2014 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Advance notice - save the date and start planning. More details to come over the next few weeks.

After the very successful inaugural Australian Flatwater SUPFest was held at West Lakes in SA in March 2014 - we are pleased to advise the dates and location for the 2015 event.

2015 Australian Flatwater SUPFest
Fri March 13 to Sun March 15
Penrith Regatta Centre
Penrith NSW

Events for 2015 will comprise 200m, 1000m and 5000m races. All events are open to all paddlers with no pre-qualifying requirements and all paddlers will have at least 2 races in each sprint (200m and 1000m) with the 5000m being a staged race start.

Board Class is 14"

The response to this years event in Adelaide was excellent, building on the formats of the successful Black Blade Regatta in WA and similar international flat water and sprint events. The Penrith Olympic Regatta Centre is an outstanding venue and many NSW SUP paddlers have participated in the PaddleNSW 2014 Sprint Series at this venue. The race formats are simple and encourage participation at all levels and the facility set up allows great spectator access and a team environment.

Prizes and categories - will be confirmed closer to the date but are expected to be similar to this year - Open, O40, O50 and O60

Sponsorships - A broad range of sponsorships are available and will be confirmed in the coming months. Sponsorship enquiries should be directed to spsc@mail.tidyclub.com.

Coordinating Club - Sydney Paddle Surfing Club (SPSC) will act as the event coordinator and liaise with State based SUP clubs & groups and NSW SUP clubs to support participation and event planning, promotion and logistics.

Boards and transport - We are expecting to have most major SUP brands represented on site in a mini SUP Expo during the event with opportunities to demo a variety of race boards. Most state groups will organise some form of board transport for participants and we will work with NSW retailers and clubs to provide demo or spare boards as required.

Accommodation - Penrith is located at the foot of the Blue Mountains and there are a variety of local accommodation options including holidays parks, rental houses and hotels. The Regatta Centre is easily accessible from major arterial motorways which opens up a huge variety of accommodation choices within a 20- 30 minute radius. Sydney CBD is around 75 minutes and 90 minutes to Northern and Southern Beaches.

Once again, Tim Paterson from Digital Media Creations (and SUPVIC Member) has created a fantastic event poster carrying on the theme from last year.

So lock it in your diaries and start getting a crew together. This really is a great fun and participation format with the opportunity to race alongside your mates and some of the best paddlers in the world. We will see who are the fastest male and female paddlers in Australia and perhaps we will see some flat water records fall ??

Stay tuned for more details over the next few months.

A few photos of a recent Paddle NSW event at the site.

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
15 Oct 2014 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Great!

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
15 Oct 2014 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds good.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
26 Nov 2014 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait!

rps
VIC, 605 posts
27 Nov 2014 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

In!!

robg1703
NSW, 217 posts
27 Nov 2014 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds good can't wait

PM02
NSW, 24 posts
18 Dec 2014 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

A quick pre-Xmas reminder to lock in your SUPFest 2015 plans and start getting your crew [State, pod, club, paddle group] together for this exciting event.

The exact timetable for the event will be issued in the New Year by Australian Canoeing but we are anticipating a similar schedule to this year with the event running from Friday afternoon to Sunday lunchtime. To compete in all events you should aim to be in Sydney on the morning of Friday March 13 at the latest.

This is a great individual and team participation event with the chance to paddle against your mates and also some of the greats !

Refresh your memory of last years heats and times at www.regattas.canoe.org.au.

Further details regarding event logistics, timetables, SUP Expo, Equipment demos, sponsorship and prizes will issue in January.

Wishing everyone a safe and relaxing Festive Season.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
19 Dec 2014 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

So no 500m event this year??? Surely when you get over 1k you are well past sprinting and into long distance. Oh well it looks like a 200 and a 1k start for me then.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
21 Dec 2014 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

The original idea was just a sprint event, but it developed into a Flatwater event - encompassing a range of Flatwater distances. Last year 200m, 500m and 5km worked well, but there was little difference between 200m and 500m - which was a sprint. A lot of Olympic class kayak races are dropping 500m in favor of 200m. Admittedly we added 500m last year to fit in, Australian canoeing have a good feel for the event now and we had the opportunity to re-think the best future outcome. Bringing the 1000m made the 5000m work well. It's a matter of fitting in with the program as well and the mass start 5000m allows us to run straight finals instead of heats etc.

The overall outcome for the 'ultimate paddler' the best paddler for 200m, 1000m and 5000m for each age group - means a very well rounded overall Flatwater paddler - good challenging distances to earn this title.

The 200m sprint could potentially be a world record on this course. Should be an awesome event.

Jaec
QLD, 2 posts
30 Dec 2014 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Is this the fastest person in Australia. Or the fastest Australian. I am full time resident but not a citizen as yet but I would love to compete. Will this be a problem??

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
30 Dec 2014 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

I can, without doubt say that the difference between the 200m and the 500m is immense. I reckon sprinting is the most fun out of the flat water events (that could be because I find it hard to concentrate on most things for any more than a few minutes :))

The NSW Sprint titles are on in a couple of weeks with a 200, 500 and a 1k so looking forward to that one as well. It looks to be a very sprinty start to the new year I would say.

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
29 Jan 2015 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Ok guys n gals this is coming up fast and it promises to be heaps of fun again just like the Adelaide event last year.
I will be getting in touch with as many of the club reps(NSW, Interstate, NZ, TAZ) as I can over the next week or two to try and get an idea of numbers and to give the clubs all the info regarding the event. (Race format, event accommodation, possible board hire etc)

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
29 Jan 2015 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Venue looks effing brilliant!

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
29 Jan 2015 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

I heard that there is a weed problem there, a boycott from the kayaks couple weeks ago ??

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
29 Jan 2015 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

I believe the event organisers and venue staff have committed to mowing the lanes to remove any weed for this National event.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
29 Jan 2015 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, spoke to Australian Canoeing yesterday, weed is being removed - won't be an issue.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
7 Feb 2015 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

yea there are plenty of places to buy weed nearby...... Oh wait you don't mean that sort of weed do you

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2015 Australian Flatwater SUPFest - March 13-15" started by PM02