Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Merimbula SUP Offs

Created by AA > 9 months ago, 21 Oct 2016
AA
NSW, 2159 posts
21 Oct 2016 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Along with surfing every day, happy hour at 3pm, the food festival on Friday night and the Game of Foams party on Saturday night, there is also a bit of SUP racing action at the Merimbula Classic. There are a few changes this year to make these events even MORE FUN!

Balmoral Paddlesurf Beach to Bar - The 4 man tag-team spectacular.
Saturday 10.30am:
The team relay begins with a long paddle down the lake right through town to the Bar Beach where the 2nd paddler is tagged to paddle down to Main beach. The 3rd paddler goes back up to Bar Beach and the 4th returns to Main Beach to be showered in glory.

The Lahui Kai Surf SUP Off’s - lets BOP!
Sunday 10.30am:
The same teams from the Balmoral Beach to Bar race compete in the penultimate SUP Surf relay right out front at Main Beach. An M-course is set through the surf zone with a sprint to the beach to tag the next team member. All team members must compete a lap on the same board used the day before.

NOTE: This year teams may use a different board for the SUP Surf relay. One board per team Saturday. One board per team Sunday. For teams without sponsored riders - you may swap out ONE team member for Sunday.

Divisions for the two team events

14’ (max length) class…. 1st- Trophy . 2nd - prize 3rd- prize

FUN category (11’ max - non displacement) 1st- Trophy . 2nd - prize 3rd- prize

Best dressed team……….. 1st- Trophy

Best effort in the Merimbula classic spirit - Trophy

The SUNOVA Merimbula Bay run: SUP down winder (this event is condition dependant)

The ultimate SUP race - paddling downwind for 8k's with the wind on your back. Paddle from Main beach Merimbula to Pambula beach in a N'Easter and in reverse in a southerly.
The window for running this race will be over Friday, Saturday and Sunday to maximise the best conditions for this race.

Please note, this race is not for the feint hearted as it gets incredibly rough out the back in a NE'e and the finish is through a surf break. There will be a strict cut off time to the first up-wind turning buoy to continue in this race as paddling experience is required to paddle down-wind safely for 8 kilometres in rough conditions. and brightly coloured tops mandatory.
Leashes and Hi viz Buoyancy vest mandatory. No bum bags.

Divisions for the SUNOVA Down winder
14' (max length) class
Prizes for first man, women and Master (45+)

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
21 Oct 2016 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Going to my first one ever this year. I'm counting down the days...

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
21 Oct 2016 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome. Sure you don't want to make the limit of the fun board category = 12 foot. I've got just the board for that!!!

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
21 Oct 2016 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

33 Chuck.
Not that any of us are counting.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17416 posts
21 Oct 2016 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Helmy is counting down the hours..

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
21 Oct 2016 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

The Ke Nalu team isn't going to be able to back up last year's number 1 finish.....injuries and absences

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
21 Oct 2016 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Deano72 said..
The Ke Nalu team isn't going to be able to back up last year's number 1 finish.....injuries and absences

Jeze, Deano we dont want excuses from you. We want action! You dont make it out the other side of he Merimbula Classic with that sort of attitude!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17416 posts
21 Oct 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA said...
Deano72 said..

Jeze, Deano we dont want excuses from you. We want action! You dont make it out the other side of he Merimbula Classic with that sort of attitude!

Besides.. its last place that's where the prizes are..

ChrisClarke1
VIC, 227 posts
23 Oct 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

AA said...

Deano72 said..

Besides.. its last place that's where the prizes are..

Anyway Deano, you weren't the only one in the team Buddy.??Hey AA, that doesn't look like last years Vid!

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
24 Oct 2016 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ChrisClarke1 said...
Anyway Deano, you weren't the only one in the team Buddy.??Hey AA, that doesn't look like last years Vid!

I'm easily replaced......half the 'A' team's a no show this year.....hence the 'absences' I mentioned earlier.

AA.....I'll be chargin as hard as ever.....just not in the water or on the dance floor

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
24 Oct 2016 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Deano72 said..

ChrisClarke1 said...

I'm easily replaced......half the 'A' team's a no show this year.....hence the 'absences' I mentioned earlier.

AA.....I'll be chargin as hard as ever.....just not in the water or on the dance floor

Ill look forward to seeing your fancy dress outfit then Deano!
One year blurs into another Chris. Something to do with happy hour I think.

Stumpi
VIC, 186 posts
8 Nov 2016 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

This might seem like a silly question but how do we enter all these events, is it just done at the event or can we pre register?

Thanks

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
8 Nov 2016 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stumpi said..
This might seem like a silly question but how do we enter all these events, is it just done at the event or can we pre register?

Thanks

Entry usually on the day, subject to meeting entry requirements (and strict observance of "rule 1").

DavidJohn
VIC, 17416 posts
8 Nov 2016 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

I'm there now and there's nice little waves rolling in at the bar.. and we've just been watching 4-5 whales and more than half a dozen dolphins playing around right in front of us.. Awesome place..

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
8 Nov 2016 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
I'm there now and there's nice little waves rolling in at the bar.. and we've just been watching 4-5 whales and more than half a dozen dolphins playing around right in front of us.. Awesome place..

Wow - a super early start for you this year, DJ?

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
9 Nov 2016 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stumpi said..

Thanks

And Rule 2, which states that any newbie entrants must take all of his mates over to Kerry's Tent and buy them all a beer.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
10 Nov 2016 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Helmy said..

Stumpi said..

Thanks

And Rule 2, which states that any newbie entrants must take all of his mates over to Kerry's Tent and buy them all a beer.

A beer or a Corona?

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
23 Nov 2016 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

Heads up re the Down winder - put your name down when you register. There will be no registrations in the day for the down wind race.
Teams category- Best dressed.
Yep there will be 4 Merimbula trophies up for grabs in the Balmoral Beach to Bar race!

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
23 Nov 2016 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Good luck paddling back from the bar in this wind

pohaku
NSW, 835 posts
23 Nov 2016 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Leaving around midnight tonight see you all tomorrow morning ! Yeeeeew

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General