Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUP Transport to Hawaii from NZ

Created by dcenzed > 9 months ago, 9 Jun 2016
dcenzed
34 posts
9 Jun 2016 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

How do the pros or even others get their 'oversize' boards to Hawaii? I always end up having to rent a sup on Oahu when I'd rather take my 10ft Coreban. Any easier/cheaper way?

Boxy4
5 posts
10 Jun 2016 4:44AM
Thumbs Up

I took my 8'5 Sup to Hawaii 2 years ago on Air NZ, no dramas, helps if your in the Koru club I reckon, they throw a bit of slack your way ;)

magillamelb
VIC, 627 posts
10 Jun 2016 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dcenzed said..
How do the pros or even others get their 'oversize' boards to Hawaii? I always end up having to rent a sup on Oahu when I'd rather take my 10ft Coreban. Any easier/cheaper way?

Nothing a substantial quantity of cocaine, a paddle and a GPS can't fix...

Supmaori
746 posts
3 Mar 2017 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

If you are traveling NZ to Honolulu on Hawiin Airlines you can take 1 SUP board free as checked luggage with another bag ..As long as it less than 9ft and under 32kgs I believe..Hmmm Sunova Speeed 8'5 would fit perfectly..??

Chris_M
2128 posts
3 Mar 2017 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Just ask politely at the check in counter if they can simply put it on the roof racks?

colas
4986 posts
3 Mar 2017 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Personally, I would jump on the opportunity to order a board by a famous hawaian shaper or company, and resell it on leaving.
It will be less hassle, may even be cheaper (especially if you buy a second hand one), and being able to test other quality shapes, adapted to the location.

This is not like you are going to a place where good boards are hard to find...

exiled
362 posts
4 Mar 2017 2:41AM
Thumbs Up

Craigslist is worth a look, especially on Oahu. Plenty of good boards for $600-800, with some even cheaper. If you aren't as picky, some boards are really cheap, like in the $300 range, mostly entry level boards and old first gen surf sups like the old SUBVector and first gen PSH 93 Rippers. I met a guy who bought a board for $250, surfed it for 6 weeks and just gave it away when he went back to the mainland. Said he came out ahead compared to rental or baggage fees.

Supmaori
746 posts
4 Mar 2017 3:02AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys..I've just brought a new board that arrived this week so not looking at buying one but want one for the 10 days I'm staying there. Was going to hire from BP and still might but its free to take a board with me and I'm staying 500m from the Duke Statue..so thought that would make sense and save some coin. Of course a bit anxious about having it damaged in transit but can put an option in to my travel insurance to have this covered.

Chur..

mike3217
VIC, 62 posts
4 Mar 2017 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Just make sure you pack it as if you're going to war the baggage chuckers love sups

Jeffs256
NSW, 57 posts
27 Mar 2017 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know if there's a container organised for the Molokai to Oahu race for SUPs from Aus? I'm struggling with organising a race board rental (SIC Bullet 14') for our 2 man team. Last race was in the Prone division, so this is a new challenge!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUP Transport to Hawaii from NZ" started by dcenzed