Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUP holidays for beginner

Created by SmithyT > 9 months ago, 19 Mar 2015
SmithyT
4 posts
19 Mar 2015 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

I've been supping for about 2 years, mostly flat water, but really want to learn surfing.

Has anyone got any good tips for international destinations to get into the surf as a beginner?
Probably looking for islands closer than Hawaii (I'm based in Syd)

I've been to The Beachouse in Fiji, and loved it, and will definitely be going back, but looking for some conditions that are a bit more beginner friendly.

Cheers,

Tim

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
19 Mar 2015 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

It is not an answer to your question, but I would recommend that you find some waves around Sydney to get started so that you can have more fun on your holiday. I would think you could find some beaches where the waves are nice and small.

But when you look for a holiday destination, I would be looking for sandy beaches - you don't want to be falling off on a sharp reef...

Tardy
4919 posts
19 Mar 2015 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Ive been going to Coolangatta beach ...easy ..
and they hire Sups up the back of reflections tower two . If you dont take your own .but as cantsupenough
said ..go to your local spots first ..and find some sand First .closes islands to Sydney ..Lord Howe ..Norfolk island .
pretty sure both have hire....good waves too.

SmithyT
4 posts
30 Mar 2015 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys..

I'm making a list and Lord Howe is on there, it looks amazing, don't think it will qualify as my learn to surf destination though.

I've found my spot in Sydney, heaps of room. Had a great session yesterday, and even though fairly busy, found a little spare bank to myself, and then shared one with a couple of other sups. So I'll definitely keep getting some more sandy beach time in.

For this holiday, thinking I might just drive up the coast and see what I can find.

Cheers,

Tim.

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
30 Mar 2015 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey there Timmy Time.
North Coast of NSW is the go.
You will find plenty of wave options and be able to hone your skills without too many people around.
Best stay away from the NAME breaks and look for clean and manageable.
There are tons of options.
Seek and you will find.

Have fun.
ET.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUP holidays for beginner" started by SmithyT