Created by ScottyO > 9 months ago, 27 Aug 2023
ScottyO
6 posts
27 Aug 2023 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

The Annual
VINTAGE SURFBOARD COLLECTORS MEET 2023
Show....Shine....Swap....Coffee

The free event provides an opportunity for collectors to display vintage surfboards to trade or sell, but also to show and discuss classic examples of surfboard evolution and history with like-minded collectors and enthusiasts. The event is also a lesson in the history of Western Australian surfboard shaping.

This year we showcase the eighties with Hot Brewz Surfboards, and will include appearances by Murray Smith (owner), shapers Phil Usher, Dave Macaulay and Benton Moran, artists Darin 'DEVO' Howard and Andrew Hunter as well as glasser Neil Bird. Join them as they reminisce their days at 5 Flynn Street Churchlands. If you have a Hot Brewz or Murray Smith surfboard, be sure to bring it down on the day - the crew will be stoked to see it!

Special thanks to our amazing sponsor Surfing Western Australia for supporting such a great community event. Also special thanks to We Are Feel Good Inc for donating sunscreen for the day.

This year, coffee will be supplied by Anita from the Little Sunshine Coffee Co.

Once again, we are under the trees at Perry Lakes Reserve Floreat, Sunday 22nd October 2023 from 10:00am to 2:00pm.

Those with boards to display please arrive between 9:15 to 9:45am to park on the reserve.

Get them out of the garage!

Check out the website vintagesurfboardswapmeet.com for more information or email vintagesurfboardswapmeet@gmail.com

Ados
WA, 421 posts
28 Aug 2023 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Brilliant event!
I've got very fond memories of my first (of three) customs out of Murray's Herdsman Lake shop.
That was in late 80's early 90's. At least one shaped by Aido Sheperd.
I remember my excitement and my Dad taking me to pick up my first Hot Brewz custom which I paid for by my savings. I was 16. I'm 51 and still surfing. Wish I still had those boards.
Ado

bolgo
WA, 881 posts
28 Aug 2023 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

yep.

my first custom board was a Phil Usher shaped. Murray Smith in early 80's

60 in a week. Sadly regressed knee boarding :-(

but still out there.

shoulder joint replacement coming soon, hopefully just a hiccup

Ados
WA, 421 posts
30 Aug 2023 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bolgo said..
yep.

my first custom board was a Phil Usher shaped. Murray Smith in early 80's

60 in a week. Sadly regressed knee boarding :-(

but still out there.

shoulder joint replacement coming soon, hopefully just a hiccup

I hear ya mate. Well done on getting out there regardless.
I've only just got back into the water after 6 years thx to my spinal injury and
Im still recovering from spinal surgery which i has two years ago. It's come good now thanks to lots of strength training and swimming. Been on the Longboard lately but feels like I'm starting all over again! But still joyous being back out there!

ScottyO
6 posts
1 Sep 2023 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

You never know Ado - that Hot Brewz might turn up at the Swap Meet. But depending on condition it might cost a bit more than what you paid for it in the 80's! Cheers Scotty

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Vintage Surfboard Swap Meet 2023" started by ScottyO