Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

2019 starboard foil board

Created by CAN17 > 9 months ago, 22 Sep 2018
CAN17
575 posts
22 Sep 2018 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2019/boards-2019/foil-boards/

Very boxy looking, almost similar to the formula 177. IMO it looks more like a modern board for foiling compared to its 2017 board. Love the shape and lots of foot strap positions

Has anyone tryed this board.
Would love to see how it would compare to a it's sb formula 177 board in a foil race.

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
24 Sep 2018 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

The formula is faster. Teamriders pick the formula over the foil177 for ifca events, partially because the wider nose gives the board more lift in light winds. Also, the bit of difference between front and backfoot helps control in high winds. Power under the backfoot is nearly identical.

CAN17
575 posts
25 Sep 2018 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Are they using bigger foils in those events. Ie longer fuselage and bigger wings.

Why do Some brands like naish have a smaller more narrow board when others like SB, jp and fanatic have much bigger wide style boards and yet all claim to get going in very low wind. Isn't naish's board more surf/freeride oriented

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
27 Sep 2018 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..
Are they using bigger foils in those events. Ie longer fuselage and bigger wings.

Why do Some brands like naish have a smaller more narrow board when others like SB, jp and fanatic have much bigger wide style boards and yet all claim to get going in very low wind. Isn't naish's board more surf/freeride oriented

I've found the set needs to be balanced for light wind performance. The width of the board is of less importance. If matched with a suitable sail. A big board will need a lot of power to get going and up in the air. Also, with a formula for example you really need to go through the glide/planing phase before going up. To get the power / speed needed for these kinds of beasts big sails are necessary. A smaller board can get very well powered up by a smaller sail! I can get going in the same wind with a smaller board / light 5.2 as with the formula and 7.8. (Same foil) The small board will also mostly skip the whole planing / gliding phase somehow, going for less drag immediately. My theory is that the lighter weight just needs less power, and the tail doesn't stick as much as with a big board! Also ofcourse matching a small board with a really powerful wing (high sqcm) will make it fly earlier.

The reason for the bigger / widestyle boards is just more upwind power, speed, stability and the ability to be coupled with large powerful sails for up/down performance. Above a certain point you won't win in early planing anymore and only gain in up/down performance. For my small board (86L * 70w*180l) I get most early planing from about 5.2, any bigger wont really help early planing but will increase power for up/down in the air. Same goes for the formula above about 7.8.

Only last week I was out on 4.0/small board/Fone foil (850sqcm) and up in the air at the same time as a guy with a pryde alu(650sqcm), formula and 7.8. Its just really different styles of sailing. He had way better angles and speed, I was more free for jibing, carving and jumping.

I found a bigger board easier to control the foil and keep it steady and the smaller boards more playful. Ofcourse for racing you want the most ease you can get, while with freestyle I set my mastfoot to about 80cm from the front boxscrew, and footstraps behind the box ( front strapscrew -2/-3cm from front boxscrew) for more pop, manouvrability and playfulness. For racing I use the same foil, but put the straps forward (+1/+4cm from front screw), and masttrack at about 108-111cm from the front screw.

In the racing situation the power has to come from the sail / boardwidth, and stretching everything gives the stability. For freeride/style i put everything close together and on top of the foil for power, because I have the small sail/less torque over the foil due to small board width.

So yes you're dead on. The naish is more freestyle/wave ori?nted and the big brand PWA boards are more racey ;). The intermediate +/- 80-85 boards are perfect freeride boards because of the blend of stability (due to width) and playfulness (because not sooo wide).

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"2019 starboard foil board" started by CAN17