Forums > Windsurfing General

2011 Xcite ride 130 fin upgrade

Created by olskool > 9 months ago, 18 Oct 2017
olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
18 Oct 2017 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Im getting an Xcite Ride 130. Im 105kg,Use 8m Cheetah.15-20kts. Will standard 44cm fin be ok.?Whats a better upgrade for pointing n speed?

Imax1
QLD, 4548 posts
18 Oct 2017 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Good board , u will enjoy it
Standard fin will be fine , but for your weight id go bigger.
Bigger the better i say , if your going the same type of fin id go a 48 or so. If your really powered up and the fin gets a bit too much then the original will be perfect.
Because im also heavy i always go to the bigger size ( helps getting on the plane ) even overpowered ive never had a board tail-walk with my weight . When i use my 8.2 im tossing between a free ride 52 or slalom 48.

ps : it will never go upwind as high as your long boards.

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
18 Oct 2017 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Imax1. Have seen a mate change from standard freeride to a C3 venom same size. But the board really got going using the venom. Huge difference in performance. Pointing wise its only to overcome tidal flow. If wind n current in same direction.

grich62
QLD, 663 posts
18 Oct 2017 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Im getting an Xcite Ride 130. Im 105kg,Use 8m Cheetah.15-20kts. Will standard 44cm fin be ok.?Whats a better upgrade for pointing n speed?

what year we talking andrew i found the exite to be a good gybing fast board ,but it will just slam the brakes on every now and again ,stll have not worked out what i am doing wrong when it does.50 for light days and 47 medium days , and 44 for the full on survival days.mines a a 158 l and comes with a 52 never had to use a smaller fin;

Imax1
QLD, 4548 posts
18 Oct 2017 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..
Thanks Imax1. Have seen a mate change from standard freeride to a C3 venom same size. But the board really got going using the venom. Huge difference in performance. Pointing wise its only to overcome tidal flow. If wind n current in same direction.

The Venom will go a little higher and faster but the free ride does everything easier. I kind of like the free ride where I mainly ride because the water can be very rough in onshore winds and jybing and chasing waves ,just a little easier.

MarkSSC
QLD, 634 posts
19 Oct 2017 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
olskool said..

Guy Cribb has published a method for calculating the right fin size. It is part of an article on fins he has on his website. The basic formula is...

INtuition's delusional mathematics for freeriders to establish relative fin size to sail size: Half your sail size plus 4 is about right. For example half of 8m is 4, plus 4 is a 44cm fin (arguably 4+4=8- I know, not 44), but if you catch my drift it works. So a 7m sail is 35 + 4 = 39cm fin, 4m sail = 24 cm fin and so on. In rough water it's half the sail size plus 2. Unlike most other things in windsurfing, interest- ingly, this equation has not changed for a couple of decades... The most common fin incompatibility with sail size is in the intermediate market when someone has bought a 150 ish litre freeride board to develop their skills on with a 6- 7m ish sail. A very typical 'first short board' purchase. Big freeride boards over 140 litres like a JP X-Cite Ride, Starboard Carve, Fanatic Shark, RRD Firemove, Naish GT etc are all supplied with fins over 46cm - designed to be used with sails over 8m but vastly over finned if you're 70 kilos and just getting planing with a 5.7m! FYI they're supplied with such a large fin to try to win the magazine tests that preoccupy the brands so infectiously. It is with this board purchase the inter- mediate freerider needs to seriously consider buying an extra fin - around 35cm - an adjusted fin size based on sail size and board width.

Jacko51
SA, 219 posts
19 Oct 2017 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Or sail size x 5 + 4. e.g 7.3 x 5= 36.5 + 4 = 40.5 so I use a 40 on my 115 Patrick. Different board size's may be a different calculation.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2011 Xcite ride 130 fin upgrade" started by olskool