Forums > Windsurfing General

Anchor and pail required

Created by Obelix > 9 months ago, 21 Oct 2014
Obelix
WA, 838 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/kite-and-windsurfing-safe.asp

This was mentioned before, however I just received an email from the Marine Safety so here is an impulsive reaction...

What anecdotal evidence they base these requirements on?
I wonder if they thought this through. Windsurfers and kites are not quite like boat.

I.E. Life Jackets are not built for impact. What if one wants to protect himself? Not quite easy to fit an impact vest under a life jacket.

How impractical is EPIRB a windsurfer or a kite?

The flares exposed to water don't generally work. I would say, 50% of flares never ignite, as nicely demonstrated before this year's LOC race.

I think some education would be more beneficial. Maybe a skippers ticket without the practical bit?

redfrogs
NSW, 5 posts
23 Oct 2014 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/kite-and-windsurfing-safe.asp

This was mentioned before, however I just received an email from the Marine Safety so here is an impulsive reaction...

What anecdotal evidence they base these requirements on?
I wonder if they thought this through. Windsurfers and kites are not quite like boat.

I.E. Life Jackets are not built for impact. What if one wants to protect himself? Not quite easy to fit an impact vest under a life jacket.

How impractical is EPIRB a windsurfer or a kite?

The flares exposed to water don't generally work. I would say, 50% of flares never ignite, as nicely demonstrated before this year's LOC race.

I think some education would be more beneficial. Maybe a skippers ticket without the practical bit?

www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/marine/MAC-B-KiteWindsurfingSafetyEquipB.pdf

no bailing equipment

EITHER epirb or flares

No one can eyeball 400m so theres a fair bit of leeway i imagine

AUS1111
WA, 3329 posts
23 Oct 2014 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

On the subject of epirbs, they are a probably a pretty good idea for those who like to sail their racy stuff out off the coast. It's pretty easy to find yourself two or three kms off shore after a few minutes on a screaming broad reach, and if something snaps or you crash and hurt yourself, you're in a world of trouble.

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap, compact and waterproof one?

WazzaYotty
QLD, 301 posts
23 Oct 2014 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

There are plenty of small PLB's on the market around the $320-330 mark.
ACR, GME etc. Try eBay. I've bought off the bigger sellers there when buying EPIRB's for a yacht.
For instance KANNAD make a model that is water proof to 10m, and has a flotation pouch for less than $330 with 7 year battery life.
$1 a week? Not bad value at all. You could use it if you crew on or holiday on a yacht or like hiking in cold, remote places. Or lend to your kids or mates.

There are plenty that meet 1P67 standards re dust and water ( 150mm -1000mm water resistant) and that float on their own. Given that we'd probably have them in our vest in another Aquapouch or bag it would seem pretty safe.

stehsegler
WA, 2974 posts
23 Oct 2014 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS1111 said..
It's pretty easy to find yourself two or three kms off shore

Who sails 3 kms off shore? Can you swim 3kms?

Remember the golden rule of sailing in waves. Would you go swimming in this? No? Then don't wave sail in it.

I think the same goes for racing ... assume that in a worst case scenario you have to ditch your gear and swim back in. If you don't think you can comfortably to that you shouldn't be going out 3 kms. Don't rely on technology for your rescue ... rely on yourself!

saltiest1
NSW, 2047 posts
24 Oct 2014 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

AUS1111 said..

Remember the golden rule of sailing in waves. Would you go swimming in this? No? Then don't wave sail in it.

I think the same goes for racing ... assume that in a worst case scenario you have to ditch your gear and swim back in. If you don't think you can comfortably to that you shouldn't be going out 3 kms. Don't rely on technology for your rescue ... rely on yourself!

well with these new rules anyone can go as far as they like. as long as they have the gear

Obelix
WA, 838 posts
24 Oct 2014 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Pinnaroo Point to the nearby rock is 800m, and people generally do that trip all the time. It basically qualifies everyone for the safety gear.

It's cool actually.
Something breaks, or you get tired then activate the device and get a free ride home

WindWarrior
NSW, 1008 posts
24 Oct 2014 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stehsegler said..

AUS1111 said..

Cough cough... pretty sure the distance from the beach out to KooKs would be a good couple of k's !

stehsegler
WA, 2974 posts
24 Oct 2014 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

True... Of course out there the swim back to the beach is the least of your problems.

I think the deep channel between the reefs is the first hurdle on the way home.

Besides... That's why you bring your mates. They can go and get a boat... And bring a few cold ones along for the ride home

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Anchor and pail required" started by Obelix