Forums > Windsurfing General

Black Resin

Created by Dean 424 > 9 months ago, 28 Dec 2014
Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
28 Dec 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Just experimenting with epoxy at the moment trying to construct a centre board out of ply to suction cup onto the bottom of my paddle board to teach the kids on. Went all bad today when the resin basically would not stick to the ply that I had spray painted black and ended up all botchy. Probably easier to start again. How would one taint a resin back so I don't have to do it three times?

R1DER
WA, 1455 posts
28 Dec 2014 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Buy epoxy black pigment add it to the resin.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
29 Dec 2014 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
R1DER said..

Thanks didn't know it existed.

ikw777
QLD, 2995 posts
29 Dec 2014 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dean 424 said..

R1DER said..

Thanks didn't know it existed.

You can get it mail order from Boatcraft Pacific and is quite cheap. I find it tends to slow down cure times. Also the resin will remain somewhat translucent, so it might not hide the ply very well. You will have to experiment a little.

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
29 Dec 2014 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the lead. I don't mind if it is a bit translucent. I would just like to get better at this epoxy thing so that I can repair my own boards etc.

jamesf
NSW, 988 posts
29 Dec 2014 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dean,

Not quite as much fun as messing with epoxy, but I've found that a large plastic chopping board works really well with suction cups as a centreboard. Good luck with the teaching of the kids, give them plenty of breaks and play time in between sailing (I've found the ratio is about 5 minutes sailing / 25 minutes playing!)

Dean 424
NSW, 440 posts
29 Dec 2014 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks James will take onboard, but was trying to replicate the carbon look with the white paint sanded back and thought it better to practice on a bit of ply rather than a board.

MarkSSC
QLD, 634 posts
30 Dec 2014 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dean 424 said..
Thanks for the lead. I don't mind if it is a bit translucent. I would just like to get better at this epoxy thing so that I can repair my own boards etc.

I used some white pigment recently as part of the epoxy mix. The end result was a bit yellowish but strong. I believe though, that the better way is to spray on a two pack finishing coat for colouring purposes. This is then buffed and polished. I have experimented with white gel coat placed over the top of expoxy. Normally these two materials are not used in tandem as the polyester reacts with the foam core. What I have done is to use the gel coat as a surface finish, that I sand and buff. Spraying two pack polyurethane can be toxic and expensive but does provide the professional touch.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Black Resin" started by Dean 424