30 May 2014 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Clearly the sport is in decline

Impressive turnout

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
30 May 2014 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Never ceases to amaze me the footage of this event. I'd like to know how they manage that many windsurfers and their gear - do people rig up a couple k's up and down the coastline and just sail up to the start or is the event area big enough to manage the incredible numbers.

(I know Vando has attended so he might be able to shed some light)

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
30 May 2014 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Two new cal's in the top ten (and they're teens...) :-)

I checked the list, no aussies but a couple of kiwis.

There was a tandem and tonight a guy is giving it a go on a foil... in 30 knts...

yoyo
WA, 1646 posts
30 May 2014 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

The guy in the middle must feel like a motocross racer who after getting the holeshot falls in the first corner.

Dr Duck
SA, 450 posts
30 May 2014 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Here are few pics of the 2013 Defi Wind. I stumbled across it by accident in Gruissan when I was on a cycling holiday. No shots of the windsurfing, but some to set the scene. It's as big and organised as a rock concert with a similar atmosphere. I would love to do this race one day. Note the 3.3 sail in one pic! Strong and offshore. For the SA guys, the conditions are remarkably similar to Sellicks in a summer SE. Not sure how they handle the boat cover and stuff like that. Philip Koster was handing out the prizes when I was there.

The Windsurfing Shed
NSW, 294 posts
30 May 2014 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

sausage said..

Never ceases to amaze me the footage of this event. I'd like to know how they manage that many windsurfers and their gear - do people rig up a couple k's up and down the coastline and just sail up to the start or is the event area big enough to manage the incredible numbers.

Here is an inside video of yesterday's race. It gives you an idea of rigging area, launching etc.

Light breeze for the spot 20-25kts, 100L-6.3 for Valentin Brault (finished 2nd), not sure about gear for the rest of the leading guys.

Forecast for the rest of the event looks promising...
www.windguru.cz/242

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
30 May 2014 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

leading guys were geared with 7m, they did well as the wind dropped in the second half of the race.

jusavina
QLD, 1440 posts
31 May 2014 12:30AM
Thumbs Up

If you are DSQ or give up a race you get 1001 points... That might be hard to come back at the general classification after that

That's just 1000.3 points difference when you win a race.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
31 May 2014 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

CaptainHadoc
NSW, 128 posts
31 May 2014 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

The beach north of the start line is big enough. There's also quite a huge car park in front of the south side of the beach, so space isn't a problem. You also have people renting cabin all along that same beach, so that's even more space to ring. Really space isn't a problem. Plus you don't need no big sails...

BenKirk
NSW, 600 posts
31 May 2014 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

With that wind, big waves and large numbers of sailors it reminds me of a NSWWA comp at Gerroa...

I'll be passing Gruissan in August, is it windy then?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
31 May 2014 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

it's windy all year round down there ;-) all you'll have the best temperatures

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
31 May 2014 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

The conditions look great this year !

vando
QLD, 3416 posts
31 May 2014 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

No wind snags when i went.
It blew 40knots the day before and the day after the event
I was there a couple days before so manage to sail down the run. 10ks of flat water
amazing atmosphere though so many sailors
would love to go again some time

AUS1111
WA, 3617 posts
31 May 2014 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Ditto!

Was there ten days and got one magical hour of sailing. Thankfully the forecast was so bad that there was never any hope of racing, so rather than wait around the beach the missus and I got to check out the local vineyards, Toulouse, Carcasonne, Marseilles etc. It's hard to have a bad time in France.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
1 Jun 2014 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Only 650 out of 1000 were brave/mad enough to take the start of the 4th leg in 40knts

Dr Duck
SA, 450 posts
1 Jun 2014 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

I'm amazed. Just brutal.

JonesySail
QLD, 1068 posts
1 Jun 2014 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

wow the start must be so hard...the footage for the leaders heading back looks awesome.. what an inspirational event...the only place I can imagine this working in Australia is WA, Shark Bay...

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
1 Jun 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Cucchi (point7 boss) won the last race minutes ago, now to the maths to sort a winner for the event

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
1 Jun 2014 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

Cucchi (point7 boss) won the last race minutes ago, now to the maths to sort a winner for the event

Windsurfing is the winner at the end of the day Sean

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
1 Jun 2014 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely !!! If only it wasn't so far away (+ travelling with gear) it would really be worth having a go !!!!

The Windsurfing Shed
NSW, 294 posts
2 Jun 2014 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Nice inside video of the last day:

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
6 Jun 2014 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

The Windsurfing Shed
NSW, 294 posts
17 Jun 2014 11:15PM