Forums > Windsurfing General

Fins for isonic 107 (2014)

Created by snowsurf 8 months ago, 28 Oct 2023
snowsurf
77 posts
28 Oct 2023 3:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looking for recommendations for fins for isonic 107 (2014). Plan to use 7.5 and 6.5 sail for this.

snowsurf
77 posts
1 Nov 2023 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

I guess the two standard Drake fins for Isonic (Slalom 8 and DW/Downwind) works well. Any experiences with fins that blew these standard fins "out of the water...."?

Tardy
4991 posts
1 Nov 2023 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

I have a few drake carbon fins they're not bad, nothing wrong with them ,select s- max is a magic fin ,but no cheap .S1. Is good and V- max ,the Select s- max will blow your mind ,if you don't mind spending the money ,Z fins are also good
there are many good fins out there ,I still like my G10 Atomic love fins too .

mmilhazes
94 posts
1 Nov 2023 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snowsurf said..
Looking for recommendations for fins for isonic 107 (2014). Plan to use 7.5 and 6.5 sail for this.

Hi

I had this board and sold it, biggest mistake ever!!

This board is on of the best board starboard made.

I am 80k and sailed this board with 3 Cam sails:

6.2 - 35cm Select VMAX Fin
7.0 - 37cm Select VMAX Fin
7.8 - 39cm Select VMAX Fin

Cheers and have fun

Pcdefender
WA, 1288 posts
2 Nov 2023 1:43AM
Thumbs Up

Try a Tribal 33 Weed Speed even when there is no weed.

The extra area gives a feeling of assurance that you can fully load up your backfoot without the feeling of possibly spinning out.

It will also trim the board down more which means in the gusts you should be faster.

The 33 WS goes upwind just great.

A 35 Sonntag carbon i used when i had a 107.

snowsurf
77 posts
4 Nov 2023 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your recommendations and experiences, including sizes and matching sail sizes!

It looks like Select V-Max is no longer sold new. So, maybe used. But S1 and S-Max is still for sale from the shop. Has the Rhino or S-Max replaced the V-Max?

In the mean time, I got myself a 36 cm Drake Slalom 8, which I plan to use with a 6.5m sail. No other Drake or Select fins available nearby in relevant sizes.

Maybe I will try to use that 36cm on my 7.5 Severne Turbo as well - as it is known for being very light in the hands - although most recommendations points toward a 38cm fin for 7.5m. I will keep my eyes open for a 39cm S1, V-Max and S-Max. Snow around the house now, so prioritize skiing - just want to be prepared for windsurfing season start in April.

For the relevant wind speeds, I expect significant chop, so not very tempted to try weed fin.

PhilUK
934 posts
4 Nov 2023 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

According to Select, the S-Max is a combination of V-Max and S1.
I only use Ezzy Lions for fast freeriding, 26 - 27 knots 10 sec average on a good day, so think the faster you go the better fin is required, but have experience of the fins you mention.

I've had S1 in the past, and didnt really like them, they seemed very upright.
I had a 2015 Exocet S3 110l freerace and that was fussy about fins, I think due to a very long planing flat. In light winds with 7.5m sail it need a longer fin to give some lift. So I had an F-Hot 40cm top of the range bought second hand. Being mostly carbon, its a lot thinner than my other fins, has more flex in the tip and felt more reactive underfoot. Spinout is rare. The 2 other fins I used were 36cm Drake DW (with 6.5m sail) and 38cm Drake Slalom-8 for use with 6.5m, & 7.5m if it was powered up. 50% carbon at a guess, and not that much flex at the tip. They were ok for my usage, but didnt feel as nice as the F-Hot. The 36cm DW was the most raked, as you would expect. The 38cm Slalom-8 was good for doing figure 8 courses in a tight area, but keeps the nose down too much off the wind, as you would expect. I would guess a 36cm F-Hot would have more rake, like the DW.
The Drakes were prone to wear at the tips.
When I got a new board, AV Nuvolari freerace, I thought I'd buy a new fin. I got a Select S-Max 37cm, for 6.5 & 7.5m, Its got a bit more rake than my old S1. Its got the same leading edge shape as the F-Hot. The Drake 36cm DW is the most raked. I've not used the S-Max much yet as have been foiling, but it feels a bit better than the Drakes, but not as nice as the F-Hot. I sort of wish I had bought a F-Hot, but they are very pricy and I might have to have waited a while.
In the UK the Select is a bit cheaper than the Drakes, so not worth buying a Drake.

Pics are S-Max between the 2 drakes, then with F-Hot.

BSN101
WA, 2281 posts
6 Nov 2023 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Tribal fins and check the size chart. Atomic have great rap too.

snowsurf
77 posts
15 Nov 2023 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PhilUK said..
According to Select, the S-Max is a combination of V-Max and S1.
I only use Ezzy Lions for fast freeriding, 26 - 27 knots 10 sec average on a good day, so think the faster you go the better fin is required, but have experience of the fins you mention.

I've had S1 in the past, and didnt really like them, they seemed very upright.
I had a 2015 Exocet S3 110l freerace and that was fussy about fins, I think due to a very long planing flat. In light winds with 7.5m sail it need a longer fin to give some lift. So I had an F-Hot 40cm top of the range bought second hand. Being mostly carbon, its a lot thinner than my other fins, has more flex in the tip and felt more reactive underfoot. Spinout is rare. The 2 other fins I used were 36cm Drake DW (with 6.5m sail) and 38cm Drake Slalom-8 for use with 6.5m, & 7.5m if it was powered up. 50% carbon at a guess, and not that much flex at the tip. They were ok for my usage, but didnt feel as nice as the F-Hot. The 36cm DW was the most raked, as you would expect. The 38cm Slalom-8 was good for doing figure 8 courses in a tight area, but keeps the nose down too much off the wind, as you would expect. I would guess a 36cm F-Hot would have more rake, like the DW.
The Drakes were prone to wear at the tips.
When I got a new board, AV Nuvolari freerace, I thought I'd buy a new fin. I got a Select S-Max 37cm, for 6.5 & 7.5m, Its got a bit more rake than my old S1. Its got the same leading edge shape as the F-Hot. The Drake 36cm DW is the most raked. I've not used the S-Max much yet as have been foiling, but it feels a bit better than the Drakes, but not as nice as the F-Hot. I sort of wish I had bought a F-Hot, but they are very pricy and I might have to have waited a while.
In the UK the Select is a bit cheaper than the Drakes, so not worth buying a Drake.

Pics are S-Max between the 2 drakes, then with F-Hot.

Thanks, Phil. Looks like my reply (attempt) a few days ago got lost in space, so here we go again.

The F-Hot shop did not really look like a shop, with no price information and email as only order/contact mechanism. I see that they do several custom carbon builds, not necessarily related to fins or hydrodynamics.

Windsurfing/Snowboarding shops are sold out for a lot of windsurfing products these days, likely not willing to fill up the store with summer products when it is snowing. I guess that I need to plan for some spring shopping.

PhilUK
934 posts
16 Nov 2023 3:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snowsurf said..

Thanks, Phil. Looks like my reply (attempt) a few days ago got lost in space, so here we go again.

The F-Hot shop did not really look like a shop, with no price information and email as only order/contact mechanism. I see that they do several custom carbon builds, not necessarily related to fins or hydrodynamics.

Windsurfing/Snowboarding shops are sold out for a lot of windsurfing products these days, likely not willing to fill up the store with summer products when it is snowing. I guess that I need to plan for some spring shopping.

I think they make to order. Their secondhand fins always sell quickly on Facebook. They refurbish team riders fins and sell them quite often as well. Nothing takes to long to sell, usually around GBP 150 a time. Other quality fins are available, Gasoil, Z-Fins, Sonntag, etc. Select sell direct, like most.

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
16 Nov 2023 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

my iso107 is a little newer but on mine for those size I'm between the

36/38 Vector Volt.

but then I really only use my 7.8 on the 107

Stev0
419 posts
17 Nov 2023 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

I have just got the 2015 107 iSonic for a bargain and running 36cm T-10 carbon, 35cm Tectonics F-1 Falcon, 34cm C3 Sting v1. I'm focused on GPS speeds and got good advice from a fin designer about trying these three fins for 6.7 Overdrive and 6.2 Severne Mach3. I'll report back when I've done some testing...

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
18 Nov 2023 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snowsurf said..

It really would help you get far more relevant answers if you just added your country/location to your ID.
Or at the very least state it in your post.

snowsurf
77 posts
27 Nov 2023 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

snowsurf said..

It really would help you get far more relevant answers if you just added your country/location to your ID.

Good idea. Country was there, but added more on typical conditions. This board will be used for 13-23 knots, choppy, I guess. Currently 7.5 is Severne Turbo and 6.5 is Cheetah. May choose to get a 6.0 NCX to push the speed further.

sailquik
VIC, 6089 posts
29 Nov 2023 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snowsurf said..

sailquik said..

snowsurf said..

Good idea. Country was there, but added more on typical conditions. This board will be used for 13-23 knots, choppy, I guess. Currently 7.5 is Severne Turbo and 6.5 is Cheetah. May choose to get a 6.0 NCX to push the speed further.

OK, I just read your posts through three times again, and eventually deduced that you must be in the Northern Hemisphere from the clue that your windsurfing season starts in April.

Is there not an option for you to place your location in your ID like this? Or is that only an option for Australian posters?:

Not having a go at you. This just comes up regularly in these forums which are very Australia centric. It's often hard to advise on equipment type questions when products and availability vary so much between counties and continents, and the posters location is not immediately obvious.

PhilUK
934 posts
30 Nov 2023 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..
OK, I just read your posts through three times again, and eventually deduced that you must be in the Northern Hemisphere from the clue that your windsurfing season starts in April.

Is there not an option for you to place your location in your ID like this? Or is that only an option for Australian posters?:

Not having a go at you. This just comes up regularly in these forums which are very Australia centric. It's often hard to advise on equipment type questions when products and availability vary so much between counties and continents, and the posters location is not immediately obvious.

If you select a country other than Australia you cant enter a state. The country and suburb doesnt show up if you do fill it in.

SurferKris
341 posts
1 Dec 2023 1:34AM
Thumbs Up

Yes, for us that live outside of Australia the information does not show up under the avatar. Instead one can click on the avatar and see more information.

snowsurf
77 posts
3 Dec 2023 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Haha.. so that is what you meant, Sailquik. Never gave much attention to the letters underneath the avatars. Since these forums are maybe the best I have found "globally" the last couple of years - and they seem to attract people all over the world - I tend to forget that they originally were down under forums. Although, I am very aware of this when shop recommendations and locations are discussed, and when weed fins are suggested ;-). Thanks for not throwing me out of here, despite windsurfing with 6mm neoprene and integrated hood several months of the year :-D.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Fins for isonic 107 (2014)" started by snowsurf