Forums > Windsurfing General

Lifejackets mandatory open water

Created by EugeneZA > 9 months ago, 3 Jul 2016
robdddd
TAS, 164 posts
26 Jul 2016 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

I signed your petition....would have been nice if it supported windsurfers too.

Imax1
VIC, 2062 posts
26 Jul 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

I believe in freedom of choice , but form follows function , so can we benefit from a safety law ?

Donk
NSW, 382 posts
27 Jul 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Do competitors now have to wear PFD's at competitions such as Merimbula Classic, Australian Wavesailing Titles etc? Insurance would require competitors to wear them. Any recommendations on a decent PFD to wear in conjunction with a waist harness?

martyj4
201 posts
27 Jul 2016 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

The thing that authorities forget is that simple things like wearing a wetsuit slows the effects of hypothermia - which I believe is one of the biggest CONTRIBUTORS to drownings (esp in Tas). You can go and sail without a wetsuit and not break the law, and predispose yourself to drowning in (I believe) a much greater way, than wearing a wetsuit and not wearing a PFD. Helmets are far more important that PFD's. They minimise concussions/blackouts which are things more likely to contribute to deaths. Again, it's safety gone mad for the sake of red tape, and water police looking good by making some pissweak convictions. The vast majority of sailors make good safety choices.

Zed
WA, 1211 posts
27 Jul 2016 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

I think I'd be too scared to wave-sail with one on a big day. Downright dangerous wearing one wave-sailing.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Lifejackets mandatory open water" started by EugeneZA