Forums > Windsurfing General

Overpowered

Created by Highjump > 9 months ago, 1 May 2015
Highjump
9 posts
1 May 2015 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Having kited for the last while, there hasn't been too many times that I've felt over powered. I love the feeling of being overpowered, but in control still and able to boost big. Though while kiting today on the Sunshine Coast, at Moffats beach, for the first time kiting I had to stop. After several jumps, and snapping lines I went back out on another bar and lines with a 10M Cabrinha FX. Epic air, Great fun, until it got to the point where the kite became unresponsive from being too over powered. Shock to myself, I had to make the call to go in as it was too much. This made me wonder, what conditions others have been out in and it got too much. Smart idea would of been to go and get a smaller kite, though I haven't had the need in the past so didn't have one. The wind when I went out was sitting at around 35-40, and when out got to 45-50 Knots. Cant wait to see footage from people standing on the beach watching!
Cheers to Dave, who launched, and landed my kite

Vince68
WA, 675 posts
1 May 2015 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Windsurfers normally rig down ...like, a smaller sail perhaps. I've never seen a kiter sail in 35-40 knots. That's even a lot for a windsurfer. The kiting forum might have some better advice for you. Have fun with that

Highjump
9 posts
1 May 2015 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Just saw what I've done, meant this for the kiting forum! Apologies.

Mark _australia
WA, 22114 posts
1 May 2015 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ nah you fit right in
Anyway if it is that windy, windsurf.

AUS1111
WA, 3617 posts
1 May 2015 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Highjump said..

The wind when I went out was sitting at around 35-40, and when out got to 45-50 Knots. Cant wait to see footage from people standing on the beach watching!

I'll just translate for any windsurfers reading this who might not be familiar with kiting terminology;

"The wind when I went out was sitting at around 18 -25 and when out got to 25-30 Knots."

gavnwend
WA, 1364 posts
1 May 2015 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Try more downhaul as in your case a smaller kite might help.

powersloshin
NSW, 1656 posts
1 May 2015 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

He must be Macroscien brother....

:-)

shoodbegood
VIC, 873 posts
1 May 2015 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

35-40 knots, that pushes you around just standing on the beach, if you can handle the sand lashing you,
45-50, you're a legend if you can control any kite/sail and associated water conditions,
That's time to watch the very best

Mark _australia
WA, 22114 posts
1 May 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ no no, you see in kiting vernacular, 45-50kn means "there was a gust sometime (ish) in the hours when I was out, that was 45-50kn"

It means 35kn average...... At best.

Proven by: how many 9-10m kites do we see out all afternoon at Coronation or G/head when on a good day? Cos that's a solid 35 all arvo, gusting 40. NONE. They're all on 7m so god knows what wind strength they claim.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
2 May 2015 1:10AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure about all kiters, but over here we call it a "good day" when its 20 to 25knots as we a very nicely powered and the ocean and waves arent too massively bumpy/white capped out.
I see you guys must get a bit frustrated that we can be so powered up in smoother ocean/wave conditions, compared to your "good day" finally powered and planing 35knot washing machine conditions.
We can always go out in 40knot winds on a 5m kite, but why would you want too in messy ocean slop? Kinda like going water skiing, wakeboarding or surfing in messy 1m white capped conditions .
I guess its the difference between the two sports, you guys love the big white capped bumpy stuff where kiters , like surfers I guess, prefer the smoother glassy waves/conditions , but we can still be fully powered.

appleman
TAS, 443 posts
2 May 2015 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

I reckon your classic lottofwind ,I think your the right dude or bunndle of sticks, that makes all lots of wind. I only flick to the footy show ,and watch ,when the big man Sam kracks a joke, or has something controversial to say ,and by oath, I enjoy the bullshoot , keep it up .be borring with out the shorts

R1DER
WA, 1455 posts
3 May 2015 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..

We can always go out in 40knot winds on a 5m kite, but why would you want too in messy ocean slop? Kinda like going water skiing, wakeboarding or surfing in messy 1m white capped conditions .

Oh no he shouldnt have posted that. Cause really it's really saying he's a soft c0kc only scared little kids and very old men would admit that!! Oooopsey!! Ha I new he was a old man.

mathew
QLD, 2027 posts
5 May 2015 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..
Not sure about all kiters, but over here we call it a "good day" when its 20 to 25knots as we a very nicely powered and the ocean and waves arent too massively bumpy/white capped out.
I see you guys must get a bit frustrated that we can be so powered up in smoother ocean/wave conditions, compared to your "good day" finally powered and planing 35knot washing machine conditions.
I guess its the difference between the two sports, you guys love the big white capped bumpy stuff where kiters , like surfers I guess, prefer the smoother glassy waves/conditions , but we can still be fully powered.

When there are white-caps on a non-surf break, the wind is blowing around 12 kn. At 35 kn, water starts to vapourise at the water-air interface; at 40 kn you will see about 4-6ft of mist due you the air pressure literally vapourising the water surface.

This is the world over, for fishies, windsurfing, surfing, etc.... and kitesurfing.

The only difference in the two sports, is that you kitesurf... apparently in conditions that can only be described by the laws of physics of a universe where the universal-gas-constant differs from this universe.

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
7 May 2015 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

most people really dont have a clue how strong wind is and usually over estimate it a lot

To get an idea of 40 kn jump in a car then ask the driver to do 75 km on a freeway then climb out your window :)

Sailing down at lake george in SA really shows this - the wind is super consistent with only a 3-4 knot variation.
The number of time ppl would come in and say its blowing 30 kn out there and yet when we look at the wind meter we had set up for the whole session it was usually only about 22-25 knot average and never peaked above 30.

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
7 May 2015 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

But what I found also quite surprising that the same 25 knots wind feel completely different in the open space and in our closed narrow waters on GC.
Measured accurately with anemometer so no confusion here.
When starting at wind shadow delicately then approaching 25 - knots 30 knots wind at speed and prepared for a run lasting 20 seconds here on Gold Coast internal waters feels nothing in comparison the the same wind speed on open waters in the Moreton Bay or Burrum or big lake.
Here you could easy handle 7.0 oir 7.8 for maximum acceleration since on the open 6.2 or even less will be adequate ( at the same wind speed)

jmetcher
QLD, 144 posts
7 May 2015 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

I sailed in 50 knots once. Was fun - watching my gear cartwheel downwind touching the water once every 100 metres or so. And that was a big heavy Windrush Clubman. The hour long swim to retrieve it was fun too. Definitely would do again.

tilldark
QLD, 275 posts
7 May 2015 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Roar said..

To get an idea of 40 kn jump in a car then ask the driver to do 75 km on a freeway then climb out your window :)

I've been tempted to do that when my wifes been driving

wildrover
WA, 76 posts
8 May 2015 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

......... or just put my head out my apartment window

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Overpowered" started by Highjump