Forums > Windsurfing General

Qantas Domestic - New Baggage charges

Created by WindWarrior > 9 months ago, 23 Nov 2009
WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
23 Nov 2009 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Have just created this as a new post after responding to an earlier thread with jet star in the title.
Due to our work we do a heap of flying ex east coast into Perth and back.
Below is the latest breakdown of baggage allowances and excess baggage charges from Qantas.

Have just completed 2 x trips Syd to Perth in the last 3 weeks.

First trip I had 1 x board, 1 x sail, 1 x boom, harness, fins, extension... all in a double board bag.
I had one other bag with me for check in.
As I do a lot of flying I am able to have 2 x check in bags with Qantas.

Everything was weighed... and the total calculated to see what was over the allotted 30 kg (2 x bag Gold Frequent Flyer policy)

Was told by the check in staff the gear was over weight slightly but they would let it through... but was then warned I would be charged ex Perth if I had the same weight on the way back.

No probs ex Perth as I returned without sailing kit.

Second trip ex Sydney to Perth return last week.
Checked in with a full crew (4 guys and a HEAP of camera gear which equated to 6 bags/cases checked in between 4)
Everything was weighed... right on the money no probs !

Ex Perth to Sydney on Saturday VERY DIFFERENT STORY

The official charge is now $10 per additional kilo over your allowable/allotted amount.
Had to shell out $270 in excess baggage fees
We were a man down at check in as one of our team had to leave on an earlier flight.

Long story short.

If you fly qantas and do NOT have gold frequent flyer or do NOT fly business class.

23kg is your allotted amount
They are now weighing everything... surfboards included :(
The weight of your board is now subject to your allowable weight.
Anything over 23kg is now charged at $10 per kilo.

Kev

PS - oh and anyone expecting to load up their carry on with additional weight... they are now looking at weighing ALL carry on luggage with a maximum allowed weight of 7.5kg

PPS - Qantas are no longer using the $11 per surfboard/windsurfer rate for additional luggage. It's all done on weight. This now covers ALL sporting equipment (golf clubs, ski paddles, tennis bags ect ect) All are now weighed and referenced against your allowable 23 kg

FletcHuz
VIC, 300 posts
23 Nov 2009 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

this is getting F@#KED they don't charge fat people for carrying a few extra KG. Maybe they should go to a system where you get a TOTAL quota incl body weight and luggage.... or maybe you need to figure out how to wear your windsurf gear - make a jacket out of fins and mast extensions - and weat your wetsuit and harness on the plane (wouldn't be real comfortable but not much worse than the seats they give you anyway!)

firiebob
WA, 3129 posts
23 Nov 2009 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Kev

I thought Qantas couldn't take a sailboard because of length, or is that Jetstar.

Last January I went Cairns to Perth with Virgin, because I had my son with me and they allow an extra 5 Kg per passenger for sporting gear I had no excess baggage cost, the downer is no direct flight for me.

If Qantas can take my board I now have to weigh up my options, because they fly direct and at this stage have cheaper flights. I'll make a few calls and weigh all my crap.

It is a bummer when you pay excess and you look around the plane at all the fat buggers

Brett Morris
NSW, 1197 posts
23 Nov 2009 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

I think the personal weight question is a good one...EG, i weigh 83kgs, so does a person who weighs 93kgs have to pay extra? No, then why do we get the same baggage allowance?
I know this is a silly argument, but clearly weight is a marginal cost to the airline, so when will the airline start weighing passengers?

FormulaNova
WA, 14049 posts
23 Nov 2009 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

I think you guys are missing the point entirely (sorry!).

The airlines aren't out to make a fair system for you. They aren't there to make sure that you have a pleasant experience flying with them.

They are there to make money. Nothing else.

They are only nice to you to make you come back to them, and in the case of the budget carriers, they are only nice enough to make you come back if the price hasn't already made you.

They will never give a discount for lighter passengers as there is no benefit to them.

On the other hand, they can offer freight for a specific market where they can set the price to what the market will bear. As they are scrambling for more money, they can set it at a price they know they can get away with, and at the moment it is $10 a kg. Given that this is for 'instant' freight, it is IMO a cheap rate. Their normal airfreight rates are horrendous!

sailpilot
QLD, 780 posts
23 Nov 2009 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

What would happen if you bought yourself 2 discount seats on the one flight, therefore for 60-80 bucks you should get another 23 kg ($230 worth) of luggage. Plus no fat bastard flopping his lard over your side of the armrest.

FormulaNova
WA, 14049 posts
23 Nov 2009 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

sailpilot said...

What would happen if you bought yourself 2 discount seats on the one flight, therefore for 60-80 bucks you should get another 23 kg ($230 worth) of luggage. Plus no fat bastard flopping his lard over your side of the armrest.

Seriously? Well, if you had no person to take that seat, you would lose your 'extra' airfare and still have to pay for your excess luggage.

It doesn't help too much with flights between Sydney and Perth anyway, as the cost of an extra airfare is more than the extra luggage allowance is worth.

I would be happy to pay the excess luggage costs if I could rock up to a freight terminal give them my boards and sails, and fly out a different day. The worst part about taking the gear is getting it to the airport in the first place.

port
VIC, 446 posts
23 Nov 2009 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

We flew Tiger Airlines,you can purchase a sports luggage for $30.00 for 30 kilos plus your normal luggage/suitcase i think around 15 kilos plus your carry on baggage,but they are clamping down on the weights.

nfi
VIC, 25 posts
23 Nov 2009 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

WindWarrior said...

As I do a lot of flying I am able to have 2 x check in bags with Qantas.

Everything was weighed... and the total calculated to see what was over the allotted 30 kg (2 x bag Gold Frequent Flyer policy)

I am flying melb-perth with qantas in a couple of weeks (Gold FF). Done so in the past with my gear (usually 3 sails, 1 board) and haven't had a problem, but I am thinking of taking an extra sail and mast. do you recon they will let a fin go in hand luggage (could be expensive mistake)? I thought the allowance was 32kg? any clues?

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
23 Nov 2009 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

I tried the fat guys versus skinny trick. I pointed out the fact I'm currently weighing 63kg ( due to 3 great back to back stomach illnesses) and the guy next to ne was looking like 100kg without having lunch, therefore I'm saving the $400 odd bucks with of weight. She laughed but just put her hand back out for the cash. Looking foward to flying to wa in Jan. ... Not.

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
23 Nov 2009 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

There are a couple of different figures (re weights) that Qantas use

23kg - allowable luggage weight with standard seat purchase

30kg - allowable luggage weight for Gold Frequent Flyer and/or Business class seat

32kg - the maximum weight the bag snatchers out back will carry

The current system (which I experienced personally on Saturday) would allow a person with a standard ticket to have 23kg of gear as part of your seat purchase.
You can take more but will simply be charged $10 for EVERY kilo over 23.

If your bag weighs more than 32kg.. you will need to re-pack into another bag... still being charged for the weight above 23kg AND the bag*

If you are a gold frequent flyer or have a business class ticket you get 30kg of allowable luggage weight.
If you have over 32kg** you get charged an additional $20 ($10 per kilo)
If it is over 32kg you will need a second bag and will be charged for the additional weight

* I watched on as a person had to strip gear out of their luggage on the floor in front of the check in counter and stuff it inside a bag provided by the check in staff. (Cheap arsed blue and red checkered bag with zip and handles.. $2 from any Go Low or Two Buck shop)
By the comments I think they were being charged for the bag on top of the additional weight !

I have also had to do this before but was not charged for the bag or the additional weight under the OLD system ($11 per additional bag)

** The 32kg ruling is an OH&S requirement that the bag snatchers not lift anything over that weight

Qantas - The Flying Kangaroo Bastards

Kev

PS - fin, extension or harness in carry on is a big NEGATIVE. Apparently any of which could be used as a weapon to take over the plane... or to hijack the food cart so all the fatties can gourge away on on what our crew refer to as SH^T in a TRAY

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
23 Nov 2009 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

btw... these baggage charges ain't so new... from memory they were introduced in July.

I did a trip up to Cairns with a double board bag at the end of July and got told about it then... got away with it because it was two of us and we both had Qantas Club membership...

re the carry on... this will depend a lot on the airport... I remember once flying out of Ayers Rock after a photo shoot having to re-pack a camera gear into plastic bags because they a) wouldn't let me take it on board as is and b) wouldn't check it in because of insurance issues. Also usually manage to get a tripod on board in Sydney while in Adelaide they believe a tripod is a weapon...

stehsegler
WA, 3450 posts
23 Nov 2009 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

FormulaNova said...

I think you guys are missing the point entirely (sorry!).

The airlines aren't out to make a fair system for you. They aren't there to make sure that you have a pleasant experience flying with them.

They are there to make money. Nothing else.

That's because like so much else in this beautiful country these companies are primarily operating on the basis of greed. Look at companies like American Apparel... you can be profitable, make a truck load of cash and still have social conscience without being driven by greed.

On the other hand, they can offer freight for a specific market where they can set the price to what the market will bear. As they are scrambling for more money, they can set it at a price they know they can get away with, and at the moment it is $10 a kg. Given that this is for 'instant' freight, it is IMO a cheap rate. Their normal airfreight rates are horrendous!

Last quote I got for air freight ex Germany to Australia was $7.5/ kg. I don't see how $10 a kg is cheap. The real problem (as you point out) is that due a lack of competition Qantas can charge whatever they want. They are pretty much the airline version of Telstra.

So for example how is it that European carriers have special flat rates for windsurf boards and surfboards? Yes they actually know the difference and unlike Qantas they actually know that modern windsurf equipment packs neatly into a 250cm bag.

Ever wondered why the number of Euros in WA during summer has dropped? Well, it's because you can fly to South Africa (which has very similar conditions to WA) and take your board either for a flat rate of $150 or in some cases even for free... and yes, you can take you bags and check them in at the airport the night before. Why all this special service? Because they have competition and we don't... sad reality.

crabs
18 posts
23 Nov 2009 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

Ever wondered why the number of Euros in WA during summer has dropped? Well, it's because you can fly to South Africa (which has very similar conditions to WA) and take your board either for a flat rate of $150 or in some cases even for free... and yes, you can take you bags and check them in at the airport the night before. Why all this special service? Because they have competition and we don't... sad reality.

Thank God for Qantas!

FormulaNova
WA, 14049 posts
23 Nov 2009 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

Last quote I got for air freight ex Germany to Australia was $7.5/ kg. I don't see how $10 a kg is cheap. The real problem (as you point out) is that due a lack of competition Qantas can charge whatever they want. They are pretty much the airline version of Telstra.

So for example how is it that European carriers have special flat rates for windsurf boards and surfboards? Yes they actually know the difference and unlike Qantas they actually know that modern windsurf equipment packs neatly into a 250cm bag.

Ever wondered why the number of Euros in WA during summer has dropped?

That's not something the locals are going to be bothered about :) Although it will tip the balance in favor of the Euro kitesurfer...

Well, it's because you can fly to South Africa (which has very similar conditions to WA) and take your board either for a flat rate of $150 or in some cases even for free... and yes, you can take you bags and check them in at the airport the night before. Why all this special service? Because they have competition and we don't... sad reality.

I guess that's one thing about Australia. We have a large landmass with a relatively small population. For both Telstra and Qantas, you don't have as much competition as the profits to be made are not as big as places in Europe or the US.

You can see that now as other airlines are moving into routes where they can make money and are staying away from routes where there is no healthy profit margin.

The lack of competition is there because no other carrier sees a profitable reason to get involved, and as a result prices are high.

In my own experience, I started using VirginBlue because they offered an excellent sporting goods luggage allowance, and only looked at Qantas when they dropped the generous allowance. Of course, at this point Qantas decided that they didn't need to be so generous either....

nfi
VIC, 25 posts
23 Nov 2009 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

WindWarrior said...

There are a couple of different figures (re weights) that Qantas use

23kg - allowable luggage weight with standard seat purchase

30kg - allowable luggage weight for Gold Frequent Flyer and/or Business class seat

32kg - the maximum weight the bag snatchers out back will carry

The current system (which I experienced personally on Saturday) would allow a person with a standard ticket to have 23kg of gear as part of your seat purchase.
You can take more but will simply be charged $10 for EVERY kilo over 23.

If your bag weighs more than 32kg.. you will need to re-pack into another bag... still being charged for the weight above 23kg AND the bag*

If you are a gold frequent flyer or have a business class ticket you get 30kg of allowable luggage weight.
If you have over 32kg** you get charged an additional $20 ($10 per kilo)
If it is over 32kg you will need a second bag and will be charged for the additional weight

* I watched on as a person had to strip gear out of their luggage on the floor in front of the check in counter and stuff it inside a bag provided by the check in staff. (Cheap arsed blue and red checkered bag with zip and handles.. $2 from any Go Low or Two Buck shop)
By the comments I think they were being charged for the bag on top of the additional weight !

I have also had to do this before but was not charged for the bag or the additional weight under the OLD system ($11 per additional bag)

** The 32kg ruling is an OH&S requirement that the bag snatchers not lift anything over that weight

Qantas - The Flying Kangaroo Bastards

Kev

PS - fin, extension or harness in carry on is a big NEGATIVE. Apparently any of which could be used as a weapon to take over the plane... or to hijack the food cart so all the fatties can gourge away on on what our crew refer to as SH^T in a TRAY

Thanks for the tips Kev. That would have pi$$ed me right off if I had to leave $500 worth of gear with the x-ray police.

pacman76
QLD, 123 posts
24 Nov 2009 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

I think they dont charge you when you take off but then sling you on the way back when you are away from home with all your gear and no choice. I had this happen to me with Virgin Airlines on the way back from Melbourne.
Not Happy Jan!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Qantas Domestic - New Baggage charges" started by WindWarrior