Forums > Windsurfing General

Smiths Lake anyone been there

Created by Adriatic Blu > 9 months ago, 9 Dec 2008
Adriatic Blu
14 posts
9 Dec 2008 5:43AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

We have an opportunity to be holidaying at Smiths Lake for Xmas, Staying at Sandpipers cabins apparently its right on the edge of the lake. Also Wallis lake is near by as I look at the map of the area.

I haven't been there before, so my wife the kids and I we are really looking forward to the break.

So has anyone been there and is the lake windsurfable???,
Wondering if Anyone can give me a preview of what to expect up there.

Hanging out for your replys. Thanks

Adriatic Blu

gh
NSW, 127 posts
9 Dec 2008 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hate to burst your bubble but the lake is open to the ocean at the moment (done illegally). You will be able to sail out the front of Sandpiper in the deep channel that is left, good for learning on lighter days but a bit flukey if the NE picks up. If a decent SE blows it will be not a bad little speed run. Had the same conditions last January. It will be better to sail from the kiosk/rental spot at Tiona on Wallis Lake (the guy who runs it is a sailboarder) if you want a decent run. I'll be camping at Sandbar in January and have ka sails so say hello, as usually I'm the only person sailing Smiths.

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 953 posts
9 Dec 2008 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Use to stay at Sandpipers myself. It use to be awesome sailing up there. Opening up the lake to the ocean may have changed things a bit.

Johno
NSW, 32 posts
9 Dec 2008 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hi. Sail Wallis lake.One of my favourite all time locations.For a N/E go to what i think the locals call Dots point.This is the best Flat water sailing spot I have ever sailed.Access is via a dirt track,on the hill about 500m before Tiona caravan park.(marked by no camping sign).Sailing from the rental shop is great for the kids but can be a bit of a hike through the shallows to get out into the wind.For a southerly go down to the sailing club which is a couple of k's down the road towards Forster.There is a channel out front of the club with a sand bank on the south side which makes for perfect fast,flat sailing.Talking about it is making me wish I was going.
Might see you there.

evlPanda
NSW, 8725 posts
9 Dec 2008 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Adriatic Blu said...

We have an opportunity to be holidaying at Smiths Lake for Xmas, Staying at Sandpipers cabins apparently its right on the edge of the lake.

Wow, memories. I actually first learnt to sail while staying at Sandpipers in... 1982ish. My dad hired a catamaran for couple of days and taught me. I just sailed around the lake the whole time.

If you're taking kids don't let them swim/walk across. Is much further than it looks.

Lucky you.

Adriatic Blu
14 posts
9 Dec 2008 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hi to all,

From the sound of the replies from you guy it is all positive and sound like a fantastic place to holiday. I am very excited about the place now and can hardly wait to leave.

Sorry Johno I know how you feel the past 8 years we haven't been able to holiday at all work always interupted any plans, so when this opportunity came up I jumped at the offer. I am sure you will have some time soon to get away as well.

My only concern is the illegal opening of lake to ocean what does that mean is it safe???
Anyway can'nt wait

thanks again guys for the info

Hey gh will you be there from the 1st of jan we will be around there that time

Adriatic Blu

DavMen
NSW, 1458 posts
9 Dec 2008 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

When the Lake is opened to the ocean the water runs out quite quickly. Once flushed it usually seals up just as quick.
It all depends how long ago it was opened - my guess is by xmas/new year it will have almost completely closed up with just a shallow (ankle deep at the most)trickle - pretty safe - the opening is fair way around from the Tourist Park, so the Kids (if you have any) will be safe too.

Adriatic Blu
14 posts
9 Dec 2008 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

HI,

Thanks DavMen so the lake does'nt lose all of its water that a relief still sailable then and as mentioned safe. thats great.

Adriatic Blu.

DavMen
NSW, 1458 posts
9 Dec 2008 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Adriatic Blu said...

HI,

Thanks DavMen so the lake does'nt lose all of its water that a relief still sailable then and as mentioned safe. thats great.

Adriatic Blu.

Safe - yes - sailable? maybe not if its just been opened - like I said in the NSW thread(same topic) take a weed fin for shallow water it might help - probably on 40cm deep ATM!

latedropeddy
VIC, 417 posts
9 Dec 2008 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

With the lake open how is the lefthander at the entrance?
I remember surfing it a few years ago on a decent swell, it was quite "nice"
Also any bitey's been seen?

gh
NSW, 127 posts
9 Dec 2008 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Adriatic Blu
I'll be there from the 29th of December. The lake is still sailable but a huge area will be sandbanks. The spot mentioned above near Tiona is Booti Point, a great spot but the track in is rough, needed a 4wd last year.

gh

gh
NSW, 127 posts
9 Dec 2008 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

latedropeddy

Don't now about the swell but last Xmas (lake was open again)a teenager ended up with some bite marks in his board after an early morning surf by himself.

gh

Adriatic Blu
14 posts
9 Dec 2008 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

Hey gh we will be there as mentioned for xmas to the new year so I will see you on the lake also maybe will a new KA sail if my darling wife allows me to have a spending spree in our recession if not then on my tushingham and tabou board.
We could take a day trip to wallis lake as the other guys suggested for longer runs, should be good see you there.

Adriatic Blu

Grasshopper
NSW, 58 posts
9 Dec 2008 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

The track is goood, a little rough but ok to get a van in and out.
The area at the base of the track just been slashed by Pete. So its nice and grassy.
I shouldn't say either, but it is one of the best flat water sailing areas I have sailed in a N/E for years, actually probably ever.
The area is reasonably shallow with fine white sand. And usually a few degrees warmer than most areas in the water.

Top place for the family.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Smiths Lake anyone been there" started by Adriatic Blu