Forums > Windsurfing General

Tiny bumps on bottom of board - 2014 JP FSW Full Wood Sandwich

Created by jn1 > 9 months ago, 5 Feb 2019
jn1
2454 posts
5 Feb 2019 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

I have an interesting one . 1000's of tiny pin head sized bumps have appeared on the bottom of my 2014 JP 85 Free Style Wave Full Wood Sandwich board. I've owned this board since brand new in 2013 and it's given me 5 years of the best and happiest B&J sailing. Puts a grin on my face every time I use it and makes me gybe like a pro . Could anyone hint at what these bumps are and what caused them ?. I'm pretty sure I didn't have them two months ago.

When I lived 40km from my local, this board used to be stored wet in a bag inside my car when I would go to work for the day (but with zip open) and sail after work. However, I have moved closer to the my local, for the past year, I go home and pack. So, this board isn't stored in hot car anymore. I also have a 2015 JP 102 FSW FWS that had much harsher storage treatment. It was sometimes stored wet on the roof racks (with zip open). However, this board does not have these bumps. All boards are stored in a spare room, removed from bags and vented when not in use.

I did some very big jumps a few weeks ago at North Haven and accidentally landed a few of them flat. I sail 24 knots like a nut job across a very choppy Semaphore water (I'm 73kg). Not sure if both these situations do this wood board any good ?. Could this be cavitation damage ? or flexing damage ?

Should I sand it a bit and see what happens ?. Pics below:

Area effected:

Mark _australia
WA, 22114 posts
5 Feb 2019 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Yup you got it

water under the paint, trying to get out. Not fatal just not ideal

I would not sand it, that red will be an insanely thin coast, you will sand the bumps out and end up with an even worse moonscape of grey/white primer holes

jn1
2454 posts
5 Feb 2019 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Ok, thanks for info.

How did it get there ?. Osmosis from the board bag 2 years ago, and it's coming out now ?

Subsonic
WA, 2977 posts
5 Feb 2019 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jn1 said..
Ok, thanks for info.

How did it get there ?. Osmosis from the board bag 2 years ago, and it's coming out now ?

+1 water under paint. Storing wet board in bag not a great start, but i've heard JP had some issues with paint a few years back. (Dodgy paint). A friend of mine had a magic ride and got told specifically not to store the board in bag while wet because the paint wouldn't cope.

olskool
QLD, 2444 posts
6 Feb 2019 3:58AM
Thumbs Up

Fanatic suffered a similar issue with paint on boards from about the same era.. Mostly on underside of boards. Oddly enough it was Red as well!
That colour is so fast it disappears faster than the board. Just tell yourself its a sacrificial paint like antifouling. Yeah, its meant to wear away coz im goin so fast!!

Manuel7
1247 posts
6 Feb 2019 4:41AM
Thumbs Up

Not just the clear coat lifting? They have the same ones at Vela, I could go check.

Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
6 Feb 2019 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

It will probably make your board go faster by reducing drag like shark skin does.

jn1
2454 posts
6 Feb 2019 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Ok thanks. Yeah Manuel, looks like its the clear coating. When I put a bright torch on the surface, I see tiny tubes coming out of the surface (reflaction effect)

Mark _australia
WA, 22114 posts
6 Feb 2019 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

I'd still say water, just in between paint layers.
However, on many of the full gloss bottom boards the clearcoat does peel, pretty much all the 2014-15 JP, all the RRD waveboards about 2016-18, ummm one other that eludes me right now- clear peeled badly. Poor prep at factory.....

So really, yours is doing better....... it is not falling off.......

jn1
2454 posts
6 Feb 2019 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe I should store the board in bag more so the rough effect covers the entire bottom of board ?. A new finishing method to give the board a couple more knots ?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Tiny bumps on bottom of board - 2014 JP FSW Full Wood Sandwich" started by jn1