Forums > Windsurfing General

Virgin Airlines - Travelling with gear

Created by Willaus0001 > 9 months ago, 25 Aug 2008
Willaus0001
QLD, 333 posts
25 Aug 2008 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

My brother and I are heading to WA this summer after many years of talk. We are trying to decide whether to drive or fly.

I was checking out athe Virgin excess baggage info and it seems fine to travel with windsurfing gear.

Just wodnered if anyone who has done it could give me any feedback and info about how to make sure you get the gear on the plane and it gets to ther other side without being F&$ked up or costing a packet?

Cheers,

Will

lanky
QLD, 213 posts
25 Aug 2008 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Not to WA but I have flown with Virgin/pacific blue and they are really good. As long as you manage to keep under their max limit for a piece of luggage which i'm pretty sure is 32kg they will take it without question. I had a board, boom and gear bag which weighed 32.4 and a sail and mast bag which weighed 15kg and they didn't say a word. All they made me do was carry it all the way to the excess luggage area.

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 952 posts
25 Aug 2008 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

A mate of mine flew over last year on Virgin from Sydney. He brought 2 boards, 2 booms, 2 masts and 3 sails. No excess and no hassles what so ever. He had one of those double board bags from Pryde and a seperate sail quiver bag. He put the whole lot through special luggage.

stehsegler
WA, 2974 posts
25 Aug 2008 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

Virgin just changed their baggage rules... the following info was given to me by the friendly people at Virgin:

Unless you book a full fare or business class ticket the following applies:

- you have to pay $8 for a 23 kg allowance of baggage at the time you book the ticket
- if you have windsurf gear with you they will give you an additional 5 kgs of allowance for a total of 28 kgs.
- Ever kg over 28kgs is charged $8 per kilo.

For example if you have a double board bag which weighs 32kgs you are looking at
$8 for the 28kgs plus 4 kgs excess at $8 per kilo = $40 for a bag with 32 kgs.

If you want to take a second bag with 32 kgs that another $256 in excess charges.

As you can see, your excess charges quickly will outweight the cost of the ticket. Similar charges were introduced between Europe and Australia about 10 years ago. One of the reason why most Europeans these days rather fly to South Africa than Australia. To South Africa you pay a flat rate per board bag.

I am not sure what the situation is with freight. If anyone here knows of a company that does cheap freight to WA from the East Coast it would great to hear about.

Personally I don't understand why Airlines don't introduce a flat rate per surfboard bag, windsurfboard bag or windsurf quiver bag. It would make flying a lot less stressful and you would know exactly what to expect when making travel plans.

I guess this will mean in the long run that either fewer people will fly to WA from the East Coast to go windsurfing or a rental market opportunity will open up. However, I can see that most people would choose Hawaii over WA if the prices for tickets+gear transport were similar.

FormulaNova
NSW, 8885 posts
25 Aug 2008 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

I am not sure what the situation is with freight. If anyone here knows of a company that does cheap freight to WA from the East Coast it would great to hear about.

Personally I don't understand why Airlines don't introduce a flat rate per surfboard bag, windsurfboard bag or windsurf quiver bag. It would make flying a lot less stressful and you would know exactly what to expect when making travel plans.

I guess this will mean in the long run that either fewer people will fly to WA from the East Coast to go windsurfing or a rental market opportunity will open up. However, I can see that most people would choose Hawaii over WA if the prices for tickets+gear transport were similar.

I posted about this in the general forum last week. It was only today that I actually did the calculations for excess luggage and was horrified.

Luckily three of us going to WA had already booked our tickets to Perth before this came in, so the old luggage restrictions still apply to our bookings. (I wonder if I should front up with 3 gear bags of 32kg each?? )

If I was booking now, I would book Qantas. We took our gear with them from Sydney to WA about 2 years ago, and they were fine. They can charge $20 (or $22?) per piece, which compared to VB's new rules, is better. In our case, they gave us a bit of a break on the price at the time, but even if we had to pay the full deal I think it would still be okay.

There is a rental market in WA anyway, and you can rent gear from 2nd wind and a few other places.

I have been looking at shipping my gear over via rail if the prices get too expensive in the future, but for the moment, Qantas is not a bad alternative.

I can't really blame Virgin Blue for trying to make a few more dollars though as the fuel price increase has hit their bottom line hard. I would have preferred it if they just increased their prices a little bit across the board, but that would probably have impacted their competitiveness.

Hawaii or WA? Why not both!

Willaus0001
QLD, 333 posts
26 Aug 2008 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers guys for the info.

thought about hiring gear but its never the same and need to have sponsors stickers on my sail so when i go and show them pics they dont get pissed :).

I saw those things about changes to VB baggage, but didnt look to closely so glad you clarified it for me.

Anyway - looks like flying is the easier option, so much quicker and cheaper even with a few excess baggage fee's.

I cannot wait!!!!! been watching Plug & Play 2 and the section with jeager Stone makes it looks friggin mad over there!

you lucky bastards who live there ;)

thanks again.

lanky
QLD, 213 posts
26 Aug 2008 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

One of the most important thing with traveling and windsurfing is make sure all your gear is dry. Wet gear adds on heaps of excess weight which I found out the hard way when it rained for 2 days before my flight and I sailed the day I left. HAHAHa.

FormulaNova
NSW, 8885 posts
26 Aug 2008 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

lanky said...

One of the most important thing with traveling and windsurfing is make sure all your gear is dry. Wet gear adds on heaps of excess weight which I found out the hard way when it rained for 2 days before my flight and I sailed the day I left. HAHAHa.

My gear is always wet, so when I packed my sail bag and weighed it, it was around 30kgs, i.e. just under the 32kg limit per bag. There were no surprises at the airport for me.

My mate who keeps his gear dry was okay going to WA, but when coming back his bag was overweight by a kg or two. Luckily they didn't make us repack it, as I don't know how we would have done it.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Virgin Airlines - Travelling with gear" started by Willaus0001