Forums > Windsurfing General

Windsurfer Glide 2990 a 276 Litre Performer Designed by Bruce Kendall

Created by RichardG > 9 months ago, 7 Jun 2018
RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
7 Jun 2018 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

www.sail-world.com/news/205539/Olympic-alternative-board-goes-into-production

Maybe will have to add one of these to the collection of toys.

You can never have too many toys.

Maybe retire the IMCO, although not sure about pricing of these which does not sound as good value as the Windsurfer LT, got one of those on order. Maybe Bruce will offer discounted boards/rigs to Australia to encourage growth of this new class here.

85 cm wide, 276 litre and just under 3 m long. Full carbon rig with 8.5 m2 sail. Board weighs under 14 kg.

Reflex Films
WA, 1437 posts
8 Jun 2018 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

I like it! Looks like fun to sail - would love to see fin sizes and planing thresholds. Racing Seems to be all about foiling at the moment

Reflex Films
WA, 1437 posts
8 Jun 2018 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

I like it! Looks like fun to sail - would love to see fin sizes and planing thresholds. Racing Seems to be all about foiling at the moment

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
8 Jun 2018 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

all seems very 2008 ..not that that's a bad thing . they were the Bush years.

-"To the C students, I say you too can be president of the United States."

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
8 Jun 2018 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al Planet said..

I guess you could run a foil on it, noting it has a tuttle box, thereby bringing it into the so called "present". Given its volume at 85 cm wide maybe you could foil in 2-3 knots.

AUS 814
NSW, 452 posts
8 Jun 2018 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a race board to me ?..

Paducah
2444 posts
8 Jun 2018 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al Planet said..

Unless you are a person of color in which case you won't even be hired as a manager at McDonalds.
(Paraphrasing, I believe, Chris Rock)

What the Mistral Prodigy/RS:X should have been.

Richard G - as many windfoil boards are 85+cm, this won't foil any sooner. Source: mine is 90.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
9 Jun 2018 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paducah said..

Al Planet said..

Unless you are a person of color in which case you won't even be hired as a manager at McDonalds.

Richard G - as many windfoil boards are 85+cm, this won't foil any sooner. Source: mine is 90.

America is not the world.

Foiling at 85 cm should be achievable.

How soon ? Well may you ask, but you have to be patient to fly.

Indeed foiling without a "foil" is achievable on the daggerboard of a Mistral One Design at 63 cm wide !

Remember foiling has its own area on this website so best we not say anymore here. I don't have a foil anyway.

Paducah
2444 posts
11 Jun 2018 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..

Paducah said..

Al Planet said..

Indeed foiling without a "foil" is achievable on the daggerboard of a Mistral One Design at 63 cm wide !

Remember foiling has its own area on this website so best we not say anymore here. I don't have a foil anyway.

Having lived on three continents, I'm well aware of what the world is. You had mentioned the possibility that this board could foil in 2-3 knots. It won't. I, too, have daggerboard planed on an IMCO and Equipe. Modern foiling is something completely apart, and I agree, doesn't need to sidetrack this conversation.

This is a very interesting and, seemingly, well executed board that stands on its own merits.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
11 Jun 2018 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paducah said..

RichardG said..

Paducah said..

Al Planet said..

Having lived on three continents, I'm well aware of what the world is. You had mentioned the possibility that this board could foil in 2-3 knots. It won't. I, too, have daggerboard planed on an IMCO and Equipe. Modern foiling is something completely apart, and I agree, doesn't need to sidetrack this conversation.

This is a very interesting and, seemingly, well executed board that stands on its own merits.

Yes agreed. I wonder if it is made with a foil box ?

Imax1
QLD, 4520 posts
11 Jun 2018 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paducah said..

RichardG said..

Paducah said..

Al Planet said..

No it won't foil in 2-3 knots , Aussie humor. Are we reallly that strange ? , I hope so

ejahn
14 posts
28 Aug 2018 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Is it 276L or 220L? The videos show a 220L board.

Gliderep
3 posts
5 Oct 2018 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, check out the new website. Most answers are here www.glide-sport.com
The fin box is foil capable - but this board is not designed for foiling. A foiling board & rig needs to be as light as possible - so durability & cost is not the priority. Certainly a foiling board should not have a centre board or mast track.
The Glide is designed to be durable & affordable while keeping the weight down as low as possible. It is a high performance course racing or touring board and can be a fun reaching board. It is also really good for learning to windsurf.
The text on the board in the video is wrong - the board is 276 liters. I taught a 98 kilo friend to windsurf in 15 to 20 knots with a 3.3 M2 & he up hauled sailed around the bay, tacked & learner gybed with only 1 or 2 swims. He was stoked. The stripes in the middle of the board are a good guide for a learners feet positions.

Gliderep
3 posts
11 Oct 2018 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Most answers are here www.glide-sport.com

Gliderep
3 posts
11 Oct 2018 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
www.sail-world.com/news/205539/Olympic-alternative-board-goes-into-production

Maybe will have to add one of these to the collection of toys.

You can never have too many toys.

Most answers are here www.glide-sport.com

Maybe retire the IMCO, although not sure about pricing of these which does not sound as good value as the Windsurfer LT, got one of those on order. Maybe Bruce will offer discounted boards/rigs to Australia to encourage growth of this new class here.

85 cm wide, 276 litre and just under 3 m long. Full carbon rig with 8.5 m2 sail. Board weighs under 14 kg.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
11 Oct 2018 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

"Length 2990cm - suitable for sailing up wind on fin, controlled jumping & air line transport"

sounds like it IS an airplane !!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Windsurfer Glide 2990 a 276 Litre Performer Designed by Bruce Kendall" started by RichardG