Forums > Windsurfing General

Windsurfing in Dahab

Created by Bristol > 9 months ago, 2 Mar 2011
Bristol
ACT, 343 posts
2 Mar 2011 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

I spent two weeks in Egypt last November. Twelve of these days were at Dahab, the other two in Cairo. If you are thinking of taking a windsurfing holiday there, my experiences may help in your planning. If you've been there, maybe this post will revive happy memories. If neither, I'm sorry to have wasted this small amount of your time.

I won't elaborate on matters that you can find out from websites or travel resources such as Lonely Planet's guide to the “Middle East”.

Club Dahab:
Is one of quite a few providers offering a “package” of accommodation, sailing gear and tuition. Their brochure can be ordered through their website. Their “package” is offered on a week-by-week basis; change-over day is Sunday. I was able to negotiate the extra days both sides of my official “week”. They were very helpful in this.

I was very happy with the enthusiasm and competence of the instructors. I am sure my sailing improved as a result of their instruction and peer pressure.

I chose to stay at the 2-star Ganet Sinai; a 4 star option is also available. Accommodation included breakfast and dinner. The food was consistent, acceptable if somewhat uninspiring.

I did have misgivings on the choice and condition of Club Dahab's sailing gear. There were not enough boards of the type and size sought by myself and my peers (freeride, ~115 litres). Generally, the anti-skid was tired; I had a few gybe attempts where my back foot slipped off the board, resulting in cracked nuts, and great mirth from the shore and in the bar that night - one of my stacks was captured on video. Apparently their boards are replaced every February, so I suppose they were showing their age. I did think that other package providers (eg Harry Nass) had boards in better condition.

The sailing:
In a word, awesome. Freeride heaven. Routinely, the wind would start building about daybreak, peak at about 1100, continue full-on until about 1400, and then was often calm by 1600. Peak wind strength seemed to be about 20 knots. I never felt overpowered with a sail of 6 sq. metres; probably could have gone a bit bigger. Water and air temperature were both about 25 degrees.

You can sail in the lagoon, or, better, just behind the sand spit that partly forms the lagoon. Called “Speedy”, this is the place for long runs on flat water in clean wind. At Speedy, however, the wind is blowing directly offshore. If something breaks, your next landfall is Saudi Arabia should the patrolling rescue boat not spot you. You have to have confidence in your ability and gear, and the rescue boat. And Allah.

Getting to Dahab:
If you travel to Dahab independently (as I did), you can fly to Sharm El Sheikh, and then go by bus or taxi to Dahab. There are frequent EgyptAir flights to Sharm El Sheikh from Cairo. Dahab is 100 kilometres north of Sharm, through the desert. I went by taxi.

Egyptian drivers display considerable courtesy to each other, up to a point. At night time, for example, they will turn off their lights when approaching another vehicle. The oncoming vehicle reciprocates, generally. Great. Two cars approaching each other at a combined speed of about 200 kph. In the dark. Or worse, a car and a truck approaching each other at that speed. I'm in a car.

Should the driver of the second vehicle fail to reciprocate promptly, then it becomes “light wars”. Horns, high beam, driving lights, gesticulations and language that would make a camel blush. I travelled by taxi at night from Sharm to Dahab. On safe arrival at Dahab, I went straight to the bar. Perhaps I should have gone to the mosque.

I travelled the return trip in bright daylight.

Dahab township:
Is far from being a luxury resort, in fact, first impressions are that it's a bit squalid. Streets are messy and buildings are unfinished. The combined towns of Mashraba, Masbat and Assalah are about 5 minutes away by taxi. There is a waterside promenade with many shops and funky restaurants. Good for a night out.

Dahab for non-sailors:
Mrs. Bristol did not come to Dahab with me. I think, on reflection, that was a good decision. (She went instead to her mother's birthplace in Ukraine). There's really not a lot to do at Dahab for non-sailors. Dahab is a “one trick pony” sort of place. It's a brilliant trick.

Petra:
I was planning a side trip to the ancient ruins of Petra, in Jordan. It was theoretically do-able as a day trip from Dahab. You have a 0530 start, and finish at 2300. The early start and late finish times are dictated by a ferry timetable, the ferry bypasses Israel, going from Egypt to Jordan. I would have had to commit to the Petra trip the day before, choosing a day the when the forecast suggested little or no wind. I ran out of days – such a day never came.

Some indicative costs:
These are in $AUS.
Weeks package with Club Dahab (excluding charter flight to and from UK, including single supplement) $850
Supplementary nights at Ganet Sinai: $50 per night.
Taxi Sharm to Dahab: $35
Taxi Dahab to Mashraba: < $3
Heineken Beer: < $2.50 a bottle
Lunch (pizza, fish etc): <$6

If I were going again:
(a) I would investigate condition of boards at the rental outlets, to at least match my home gear
(b) I would again plan on visiting Petra
(c) I would take a bash protector for the mast base
(d) I would travel only by daylight between Sharm and Dahab, and return

FormulaNova
WA, 14142 posts
2 Mar 2011 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bristol, I hope you don't mind me offering my comments to your thread.

I went in September/October about 4 or 5 years ago. It was gusty. Gusty. Gusty.

Having said that, the gusty wind was okay the further you got out, and in the speed strip it was okay. I preferred to use the larger V8 (i.e. cammed) sails as they were much better in the gusts than the wave sails that were used for almost everything else.

I stayed the first week and a half at the Coralia, and sailed with the Harry Nass hire centre, and the next week and a half I stayed at the Hilton and sailed at Club Mistral/Club Dahab. I felt that Club Mistral had a better range of gear to suit me and my weight, as they had more cammed sails in the smaller sizes.

One thing to watch is that most of these resorts have you reserve a board for your exclusive use. If you don't use it, no one else gets to use it either. You can use any other unreserved boards, but there aren't that many.

My mistake was that I reserved a 115L board which for my weight at the time was almost a sinker. The problem is that it is so gusty that it was too small, and all of the 130L boards were reserved. I had to find whatever I could and often used a 140L or bigger boards.

Next time I would reserve a bigger board.

Other thing I would recommend is bludging a lift from the rescue boats to take you back out to the speed strip. Much faster and easier

I also took a camel back, which was a great idea as it takes ages to get back to shore, so you don't really want to go in for a drink.

The taxi ride from SSH is much better if you prearrange it with your hotel. The normal taxis are not airconditioned and a bit of a monopoly, so in my case you can get charged a lot, and I think I paid something like $100 USD. The hotel organised return trip was something like $25 USD.

I wish I was there for longer as it was a worry avoiding the local restaurants for fear of catching the bacteria that give you 'Dahab Dash'. The prices of food were good and it smelled excellent, so it was sad to stick to boring/bland hotel food. Not that the food in the hotels were bad, but the local stuff seemed better.

If I make it back there next time, I will avoid Cairo altogether and fly to SSH either on a Euro tour plane, or change the same day in Cairo.

BundyBear
NSW, 325 posts
2 Mar 2011 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Whilst I can't speak for Dahab other than a ship i was on sailed past it a few years back

Petra is unbelievable, if you get a chance allow at least two days to do it, a one day bus trip from Aquaba was not enough.
As for the wind I spent a total of 7 days in the area in October, the wind howled 25+ for the first 4 days then dropped to 0 for the last three and the temp got into the 40's

and here is a nice shipwreck off Sharm el Sheik

FormulaNova
WA, 14142 posts
2 Mar 2011 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Bristol said...

The sailing:
In a word, awesome. Freeride heaven. Routinely, the wind would start building about daybreak, peak at about 1100, continue full-on until about 1400, and then was often calm by 1600. Peak wind strength seemed to be about 20 knots. I never felt overpowered with a sail of 6 sq. metres; probably could have gone a bit bigger. Water and air temperature were both about 25 degrees.

You can sail in the lagoon, or, better, just behind the sand spit that partly forms the lagoon. Called “Speedy”, this is the place for long runs on flat water in clean wind. At Speedy, however, the wind is blowing directly offshore. If something breaks, your next landfall is Saudi Arabia should the patrolling rescue boat not spot you. You have to have confidence in your ability and gear, and the rescue boat. And Allah.

The rescue boats are pretty good and one insisted on rescuing me when he noticed that I was taking ages to get upwind. In retrospect that a good choice, as you are right in that the wind drops off around 2pm, and drops to almost nothing. Fast. When you see everyone else head in from speedie, make sure you go too before you run out of wind!

Egyptian drivers display considerable courtesy to each other, up to a point. At night time, for example, they will turn off their lights when approaching another vehicle. The oncoming vehicle reciprocates, generally. Great. Two cars approaching each other at a combined speed of about 200 kph. In the dark. Or worse, a car and a truck approaching each other at that speed. I'm in a car.

Should the driver of the second vehicle fail to reciprocate promptly, then it becomes “light wars”. Horns, high beam, driving lights, gesticulations and language that would make a camel blush. I travelled by taxi at night from Sharm to Dahab. On safe arrival at Dahab, I went straight to the bar. Perhaps I should have gone to the mosque.

We asked one of our drivers why they drive without headlights most of the time, and I think it was to ensure that they could see anything else that was on the road. It makes a lot of sense when you are driving 100kms at over 100km/h, there are no street lights, hardly any cars, and there are camels with or without riders in the middle of the road.

They were scary drivers, but actually pretty good, when you understood what they were doing.

I think Barn here spent at least a season at Dahab. Lucky so and so...

barn
WA, 2960 posts
2 Mar 2011 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

They pretty much drive with their eyes shut yelling INSHALLAH INSHALLAH.. If they die, they get to go to a better place anyway, somewhere where they wont have to drive tourists around for 5LE a day.

A transfer bus flipped when I was there killing at least 20 Russians and loads went to hospital. yeeew!

busterwa
3777 posts
2 Mar 2011 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

I deferr travel there untill gadaffi resigns hey.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9020 posts
2 Mar 2011 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

busterwa said...

I deferr travel there untill gadaffi resigns hey.

Wrong country.

Pity half the profits from Egyptian tourism went straight in Mubarak's bank account. Sort of half explains how the ex leader of one of the world's poorest countries is the world's richest man. I'm not sure if I'd like to go there as there are many good windsurfing places much cheaper and easier to get to from Australia.

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
2 Mar 2011 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Bristol said...

Dahab for non-sailors:
Mrs. Bristol did not come to Dahab with me. I think, on reflection, that was a good decision. (She went instead to her mother's birthplace in Ukraine). There's really not a lot to do at Dahab for non-sailors. Dahab is a “one trick pony” sort of place. It's a brilliant trick.

Not quite true - I did a season in Dahab working as a dive instructor - the scuba diving is great and it's possibly the easiest and safest place on the planet to learn. Clear warm water, little current, no boats (it's almost all shore diving) and lots of cool coral and critters to discover.

Bristol said...
Petra:
I was planning a side trip to the ancient ruins of Petra, in Jordan. It was theoretically do-able as a day trip from Dahab. You have a 0530 start, and finish at 2300. The early start and late finish times are dictated by a ferry timetable, the ferry bypasses Israel, going from Egypt to Jordan. I would have had to commit to the Petra trip the day before, choosing a day the when the forecast suggested little or no wind. I ran out of days – such a day never came.

Lol... I did nine months there and never made it to Petra for the exact same reason. Planning on going to Petra BEFORE Dahab on my next trip.... :D

FlickySpinny
WA, 657 posts
2 Mar 2011 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not sure if I'd like to go there as there are many good windsurfing places much cheaper and easier to get to from Australia.

Where?

Seriously.

I have not yet found anywhere that can match Dahab for quality of sailing and value for money. Would love to find somewhere comparable closer to Australia where I can show up with a pair of boardies and a harness and sail my nuts off on the latest gear for a week in great conditions for next to no money. Preferably either waves or flat water, and a minimum wind speed of 18 knots. Totally open to suggestions, because you're right, Dahab is a pain to get to from here.

racerX
457 posts
3 Mar 2011 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

FlickySpinny said...

Where?

Jericoacoara in Brazil

Mobydisc
NSW, 9020 posts
3 Mar 2011 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

racerX said...

FlickySpinny said...

Where?

Jericoacoara in Brazil

That is a long way away too. Perhaps closer to home where you can just turn up at a place and go windsurfing would be Lancelin? Lord Howe Island and Fiji have windsurfing holiday packages.

Best not to forget Hawaii too. I have not been to Hawaii but guess you need a car there and can't just expect to stay somewhere close to a windsurfing beach unless you are willing to pay. With the strong Australian dollar it has to be a good time to go to America even if you have to go through the invasive scans and feel ups at the airport.

FormulaNova
WA, 14142 posts
3 Mar 2011 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Karl, even though Dahab was gusty, I have to admit that they have it worked out at these places. Heaps of new windsurfing gear all rigged up and ready to go, a short walk to the water, and a very high standard of hotel.

Although building the hotels so close to the water was not the best plan.

It is nice to sail into shore, walk up to the bar at the Coralia/Harry Nass centre, and buy a drink on your hotel tab, and then wander over to the pizza place for a great lunch.

In the afternoon you can watch a lot of the instructors get out and play and you get to see a lot of freestyle.

I have to say, I can't work out the hours there. It is often windy well before 9am, but they don't open up until 9.

Squid Lips
WA, 708 posts
3 Mar 2011 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Penghu, off the coast of Taiwan looks pretty good. Weeks on end with wind like this:

www.penghuwindsurf.idv.tw/

Little Jon
NSW, 2115 posts
3 Mar 2011 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Bristol said...
If I were going again:
(a) I would investigate condition of boards at the rental outlets, to at least match my home gear
(b) I would again plan on visiting Petra
(c) I would take a bash protector for the mast base
(d) I would travel only by daylight between Sharm and Dahab, and return

If you're going to Petra, its also worth a day trip to swim in the dead sea. The water is very salty which makes it heavy and you are relatively light and therefore float easily. Its impossible to drown, if you position yourself vertically in the water arms by your side, the water will only come up to about nipple level because you float so much. Don't get the water near your eyes and it stings like crazy.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Windsurfing in Dahab" started by Bristol