Forums > Windsurfing General

board painting

Created by jp747 > 9 months ago, 7 Feb 2014
jp747
1548 posts
7 Feb 2014 5:26AM
Thumbs Up

just wanted to repaint using brush on the underside of a board..seems like paint's chipping off and showing second skin which is ocher in color. Am no handyman and got no spray paint gun.. Do I use laquer, acrylic etc. sand it down first and coat it with something to keep it smooth and clear? Am really just planning to sand down the thin paint remaining, sand it again then brush paint it then sand again..any easy suggestions that wouldn't eat thru the board's skin would be nice.. regards all

keef
NSW, 2015 posts
7 Feb 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jp747 said..

..any easy suggestions that wouldn't eat thru the board's skin would be nice.. regards all

use anything you like except acrylic appliance paint , you cant sand it

jp747
1548 posts
7 Feb 2014 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

thanks keef was about to enquire about acrylic but it must be more toxic to fiberglass

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
7 Feb 2014 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Fibreglass should be good with any paint you put on it, but if there's any chance of it getting to the core foam, you need to seal that first with an epoxy resin.

Most enamels are un-sandable the gloss is on the surface underneath is oily. If I'm not using 2 pack spray paint I use automotive lacquer.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
7 Feb 2014 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

if you are not going to spray for god's sake don't use a brush. Use a foam roller you have half a chance then, especially if it is applied thick enough to juussst run a bit so it will kinda self flatten
Give it a good week in the sun and you'll be able to buff out any roughness

jp747
1548 posts
11 Feb 2014 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

am guessingthat the ocher colour is the fiber glass.. so am planning to lightly sand the whole underneath including the fiberglass? will try to use better auto paint than just enamel and what am thinking is maybe more lacquer thinner to spread the paint better, sand it then a second coat to the deeper chip-off's then sand again for smoothness but what kind of top coat would be best for clearness and smoothness?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
11 Feb 2014 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

That colour is probably the filler they apply then sand back before painting. You should do the same. Do not try to sand out chips, then you will just have a low spot that stands out afterwards. You need to fill them
Fill all of them with spot putty (auto stores have it) and sand back board with about 240grade WET with a BLOCK. Use of a sanding block will ensure it is flat.
The paint the whole thing with a high build primer (also called spray putty) then sand (block) back again to 240 grade.
What you will have then is a white board with nice coloured swirls and dots all over it where the spray putty has filled tiny scratches that you didn't see.

Now it may be ready for paint.

Ancientglen
36 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

When Goran from Koma Surf here in Southport repaired the paint job on my old fibreglass Farrelly windsurfer, he used automotive spray paint as it stands up much better to UV than ordinary house paint, even exterior types. He had to colour match the existing pattern, but if you're painting the entire bottom of the board, you could go to Supercheap Auto or somewhere similar and buy a couple of spray cans of a suitable colour. If you take your time and spray lightly, laying down a couple of coats rather than trying to flood the surface with one heavy coat, you should get a nice smooth finish, far better than you'd ever get with a brush.

Cheers, Glen.

jp747
1548 posts
12 Feb 2014 4:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ancientglen said..
When Goran from Koma Surf here in Southport repaired the paint job on my old fibreglass Farrelly windsurfer, he used automotive spray paint as it stands up much better to UV than ordinary house paint, even exterior types. He had to colour match the existing pattern, but if you're painting the entire bottom of the board, you could go to Supercheap Auto or somewhere similar and buy a couple of spray cans of a suitable colour. If you take your time and spray lightly, laying down a couple of coats rather than trying to flood the surface with one heavy coat, you should get a nice smooth finish, far better than you'd ever get with a brush.

Cheers, Glen.

initially this was what I thought of but I wasn't sure what the contents of these spray cans were..i.e. lacquer or acrylic..etc.. never got to really read the fine print

Ancientglen
36 posts
17 Feb 2014 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jp747 said..

Ancientglen said..

Cheers, Glen.

initially this was what I thought of but I wasn't sure what the contents of these spray cans were..i.e. lacquer or acrylic..etc.. never got to really read the fine print

I've actually never looked at the content labels myself! A quick trip or phone call to your local parts store should answer the question. I doubt if it would be acrylic, I know you can buy spray cans of enamel, and there's something else that's even harder, but my brain's not working right now... Epoxy perhaps?

Cheers, Glen.

firiebob
WA, 3129 posts
18 Feb 2014 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

That colour is probably the filler they apply then sand back before painting. You should do the same. Do not try to sand out chips, then you will just have a low spot that stands out afterwards. You need to fill them
Fill all of them with spot putty (auto stores have it) and sand back board with about 240grade WET with a BLOCK. Use of a sanding block will ensure it is flat.
The paint the whole thing with a high build primer (also called spray putty) then sand (block) back again to 240 grade.
What you will have then is a white board with nice coloured swirls and dots all over it where the spray putty has filled tiny scratches that you didn't see.

Johnno just do as Mark says go to woe, just get the primer in a spray can and forget about painting after the final sanding, easy as.

jp747
1548 posts
19 Feb 2014 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
firiebob said..
Mark _australia said..

Johnno just do as Mark says go to woe, just get the primer in a spray can and forget about painting after the final sanding, easy as.

I have got to read what's in those spray cans first and look for a suitable filler as well..it's basically just taking off old paint that's peeling off but it's getting to look like sunburnt skin peeling off if you know what I mean...wear and tear in water and sun I guess

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
19 Feb 2014 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ you don't have to worry about it. I don't know why you are
Use the cans you wanted to use from the auto store (lacquer based acrylic) and that is why I suggested spot putty and spray putty (high build primer) from the auto store as they are all compatible products.

jp747
1548 posts
20 Feb 2014 5:41AM
Thumbs Up

am pretty sure you're right Markey i've never done anything like this before that's why .. and the wrong stuff might just burn or eat anything..

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"board painting" started by jp747