Created by seanhogan > 9 months ago, 5 Aug 2016
seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
5 Aug 2016 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djl070 said..

ejmack said..
I could be totally off here but my guess it's a Ian Fox designed board, and more than likely developed and tested much of the time here in port Phillip bay, Victoria.

And been tested quite a bit here in W.A. also

LOL and here in new cal !!! International design by Mr Fox !!!

So if it's Ian Fox why is it a Severne Board ? (just kidding)

djl070
WA, 290 posts
5 Aug 2016 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Only commenting on what I've been seeing on the water this year here,pre productions flying around

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
5 Aug 2016 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

well I guess it's the best way to develop a reallly good board, take it to different places and test it !!

Orange Whip
QLD, 1043 posts
5 Aug 2016 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking forward to the day when I can watch a 2 min video of a board sitting in a shop and conclude its the best board ever

andysails
SA, 79 posts
6 Aug 2016 3:37AM
Thumbs Up

+1 for Tuttlebox fin box on the Severne Fox! Hopefully next year when the 120 litre model arrives.

Ian K
WA, 4041 posts
6 Aug 2016 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..
I'm looking forward to the day when I can watch a 2 min video of a board sitting in a shop and conclude its the best board ever

Well nobody's concluded that. I'm guessing it's the design focus that has sparked interest.

"THE FOX, It is a high wind heavy chop board "

vs.

"The Carbon Art Freeride is an exciting all-round high performance board with exceptional handling and ease of control."

Or you could go for even more of an all rounder, a freestyle wave. Or, count yourself as one of the very few who can extract the full speed potential of a slalom board in the advertised conditions.

Apart from Mr Love with his one-off Port Phillip Bay specials I can't think of any manufacturer who promotes this as the main focus?

Be interesting to see how it is compared it with the current choices. Until then you could say it is the best board in this new category.

Orange Whip
QLD, 1043 posts
6 Aug 2016 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..

Orange Whip said..

Well nobody's concluded that. I'm guessing it's the design focus that has sparked interest.

"THE FOX, It is a high wind heavy chop board "

vs.

"The Carbon Art Freeride is an exciting all-round high performance board with exceptional handling and ease of control."

Or you could go for even more of an all rounder, a freestyle wave. Or, count yourself as one of the very few who can extract the full speed potential of a slalom board in the advertised conditions.

Apart from Mr Love with his one-off Port Phillip Bay specials I can't think of any manufacturer who promotes this as the main focus?

Be interesting to see how it is compared it with the current choices. Until then you could say it is the best board in this new category.

Anything that keeps the sport healthy is a good thing IMO

gregob
NSW, 264 posts
6 Aug 2016 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

This might be a dumb question. Other than manufacturing efficiency, why don't board makers simply make a Tuttle and Powerbox version of their boards?

I don't know the first thing about board making but it would seem like a fairly minor part of the whole process that seems to potentially reduce sales of the product. Kind of like the changes over time movie distribution. There was a long period where they released movies on VHS / beta and then VHS / DVD /Bluray etc. IT made no economic sense to choose to reduce the size of your potential market.

Is cost to make two different lines that significant or is there another reason that is obvious I am unaware of?

Of course, having an industry standard fin box would be ideal. But coming from an IT background I am used to accepting that is wishful thinking and not to hold my breath.

DavMen
NSW, 1498 posts
6 Aug 2016 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Noticed on another thread that the 2017 JP Supersport now comes with Tuttle Box's.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
6 Aug 2016 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

A quick look at Tabou, Fanatic, RRD, and JP suggests that the Powerbox is the industry standard for freeride boards. It would be hard for an entry board brand to go against what must be a EU standard despite the advantages of the Tuttle box. I am sure that the sales in a big French or German board retailer would eclipse the whole Australian market.

Ian K
WA, 4041 posts
6 Aug 2016 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al Planet said..
despite the advantages of the Tuttle box.

So what are the disadvantages of a power box compared to a short tuttle? I can't see any, other than that the parallel sides of the tuttle make it easier to sand down to correct a mismatch.

The advantages of the power boxes that I can see are:

- only one screw to find/lose tighten up.
-More likely to let go if you hit a log, saving the board, and wear and tear on me. (last time out for me at Primbee, the Tribal Weed Speed is one tough fin!)

I don't think you could split them on strength needed for normal sailing.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
6 Aug 2016 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..

Al Planet said..
despite the advantages of the Tuttle box.

So what are the disadvantages of a power box compared to a short tuttle? I can't see any, other than that the parallel sides of the tuttle make it easier to sand down to correct a mismatch.

The advantages of the power boxes that I can see are:

- only one screw to find/lose tighten up.
-More likely to let go if you hit a log, saving the board, and wear and tear on me. (last time out for me at Primbee, the Tribal Weed Speed is one tough fin!)

I don't think you could split them on strength needed for normal sailing.

I have never had any problems myself ( I sail an Atom with a powerbox) but I think would be easier if there was a single system across Freeride/Freerace boards. Having two screws is insurance if you don't tighten one properly and Tuttle must be better for big fins.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
6 Aug 2016 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

I have a full kit of tuttle race fins for my Slalom boards but my rough water boards are FSW and I have PB Freerace fins for those. I'll always have both sets of fins so the PB Tuttle debate isn't really an issue for me. There are some good fin brands in both PB and Tuttle - Select S1, Vector EX and Freeride and BP.

Ian K
WA, 4041 posts
6 Aug 2016 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haggar said..
I'll always have both sets of fins so the PB Tuttle debate isn't really an issue

Hear, here. A true windsurfer.

JonesySail
QLD, 1067 posts
6 Aug 2016 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Speaking of exciting new freeride/race boards/chop munchers like this one, what happened to the new Mistral flapper design?

Ride
WA, 236 posts
6 Aug 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Lots of exciting options are appearing in this fast chop/ocean free ride/free race bracket like the Goya Bolt & Fanatic Blast & JP All ride

Orange Whip
QLD, 1043 posts
6 Aug 2016 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

So, if the Fox is a high wind board and 105 litres does that mean it's designed for 85 kg+ riders?

Magic Ride
719 posts
6 Aug 2016 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Gregob,

That's a great question, it would be nice to have several different fin options on boards.

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
2 Nov 2016 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ejmack said..
I could be totally off here but my guess it's a Ian Fox designed board, and more than likely developed and tested much of the time here in port Phillip bay, Victoria.

You are right

had a presentation at Zu by Ian fox and Ben Severne.

I think this this board concept is spot on.

pirrad
SA, 850 posts
3 Nov 2016 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Starboard carve circa 2004 with a different paint job, old is new again. At least the carve had tuttle box.

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
3 Nov 2016 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al Planet said..
A quick look at Tabou, Fanatic, RRD, and JP suggests that the Powerbox is the industry standard for freeride boards. It would be hard for an entry board brand to go against what must be a EU standard despite the advantages of the Tuttle box. I am sure that the sales in a big French or German board retailer would eclipse the whole Australian market.

You arare right. This is the reason Ben Severne gave at his presentation.

hoop
1979 posts
3 Nov 2016 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Had to give you a green thumb for that one pirrad

snorkel962
QLD, 448 posts
10 Sep 2017 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Had my first go on a Fox 105 yesterday..after all the talk there is nothing like time on the water to see what it is like. 12-15knots on Rowes Bay which has a horrid short chop and occasional larger lumps in the water. A few bigger gusts to maybe 16, so not screeching wind but fun.

My impression was that this is a really, really fun board to sail. Plug and play with it being super easy to just jump on and enjoy. As a board designed for managing chop it is great. Slides up onto the plane easily like a slalom board would, but the shoulders stay clear of the chop so it is much less technical to sail and the vee makes getting through chop efficient. After an hour the lack of fatigue was notable compared with sailing a slalom board in the same water ( and I use Patriks mostly which I think are pretty nice on that front for slaloms). Gybing was fun and easy, and I am very far from a gybemeister! Living in box-jelly-croc- world, ability to uphaul is important to me and this was fine ( I'm just short of 80kg)

So for a design brief of it being an efficient, fun board in choppy conditions it has a big thumbs up from me. Cant wait to get it on the water again. Will see how it goes with more ToW and experience.

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
10 Sep 2017 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snorkel692 said..
Had my first go on a Fox 105 yesterday..after all the talk there is nothing like time on the water to see what it is like. 12-15knots on Rowes Bay which has a horrid short chop and occasional larger lumps in the water. A few bigger gusts to maybe 16, so not screeching wind but fun.

My impression was that this is a really, really fun board to sail. Plug and play with it being super easy to just jump on and enjoy. As a board designed for managing chop it is great. Slides up onto the plane easily like a slalom board would, but the shoulders stay clear of the chop so it is much less technical to sail and the vee makes getting through chop efficient. After an hour the lack of fatigue was notable compared with sailing a slalom board in the same water ( and I use Patriks mostly which I think are pretty nice on that front for slaloms). Gybing was fun and easy, and I am very far from a gybemeister! Living in box-jelly-croc- world, ability to uphaul is important to me and this was fine ( I'm just short of 80kg)

So for a design brief of it being an efficient, fun board in choppy conditions it has a big thumbs up from me. Cant wait to get it on the water again. Will see how it goes with more ToW and experience.

Great feedback Snorks, what sail and fin did you use ? I have a Patrik Slalom as well and pretty much always sail in moderate to heavy chop.

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
10 Sep 2017 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Here's another board that looks interesting and designed for rough confused chop that we tend to get in bays.

www.atomicwindsurf.com/masterblaster

mr love
VIC, 2308 posts
10 Sep 2017 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sticking that up Jman but I am not going to Hijack this thread. I had a really good look at a Fox quite a few months ago...it,s a different board to what I am doing with the Masterblaster, the Fox has massive V and is more "fast freeride", mine is a Slalom board. The Fox looks great, I was very impressed and I think it will be an awesome board for Port Phillip Bay. I reckon guys that have been enjoying boards like the Tabou Rocket should seriously take a look at the Fox for sure.
If somebody wants to start another thread to ask about my little project I will be happy to answer...however as I said I will not discuss it in this thread.

Thanks Martin

snorkel962
QLD, 448 posts
10 Sep 2017 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Haggar said..

snorkel692 said..

Great feedback Snorks, what sail and fin did you use ? I have a Patrik Slalom as well and pretty much always sail in moderate to heavy chop.

I used a 7.8 3-cam and the stock 36cm fin. Plenty of scope around both there I think.

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
11 Sep 2017 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

Subsonic said..
Mr Severne was blasting around at Melville last Friday on one. Made everyone else look slow.

Big call, Slowie recorded 38+kts on his M137

Blokes an Alien, no use watching him and thinking "gee that might suit the likes of me"
He could make a solid bloody timber door with a door handle as a fin look flash and fast

Subsonic
WA, 2975 posts
11 Sep 2017 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mineral1 said..

John340 said..

Subsonic said..
Mr Severne was blasting around at Melville last Friday on one. Made everyone else look slow.

Big call, Slowie recorded 38+kts on his M137

Blokes an Alien, no use watching him and thinking "gee that might suit the likes of me"
He could make a solid bloody timber door with a door handle as a fin look flash and fast

Too true.

I dont know why people still put slowie (and a few others) on the same page as the rest of us. They're all mutants I tells ya!

It just makes us all look incredibly bad.

putting that aside, having purchased a fox 95, I can tell you they're not at all slow. Quite impressed with the speed.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"the Fox, finally ...........!!!!" started by seanhogan