Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Does wearing a gps improve your windsurfing?

Created by Dan133 > 9 months ago, 2 Oct 2013
decrepit
WA, 8706 posts
4 Oct 2013 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

Improved same aspects, neglected others.
So after 3 years, in my 4th season, back to basics. Learn to gybe properly.
If I hadn't started with the GPS, I would have learnt how to gybe long time ago.
But had so much fun in the meantime

What you haven't been doing alphas?

decrepit
WA, 8706 posts
4 Oct 2013 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

petermac33 said..

GPS has killed much of the racing on the river for sure. Most of the guys including slow boat now just sail upwind to then sail crazy angle off the wind,wtf. They are a ever present danger and like kitesurfers should be confined to their own little patch.

Sailing across the wind in a local drag race is much more fun.

Is this a piss take

Kato, haven't you been following Peter's posts, his views are usually a bit different to most others.
It may be if he actually uses a GPS he'll be forced to admit that the Earth spins.

keef
NSW, 1992 posts
4 Oct 2013 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Milsy said..

if the question is, does wearing a gps improve my sailing?, the answer is........no, , for me, i probably wouldn't have been as motivated without the gps, but its the effort that comes off that motivation that improves ones ability,

hey champ your saying you wont improve by wearing a gps , but it makes you more motivated to spend more time on the water = improvement, ill have to go along with that

vando
QLD, 3386 posts
5 Oct 2013 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sailquik said..

Yes, but more importantly it has improved my enjoyment of the the total windsurfing experience immeasurably!

GPSTC, GPSSS, Speed Fortnight, Lake George trips, new friends all over Australia and all over the world! etc, etc.

Come on Daffy you guys only sail one way and walk back .

I do agree with the social aspect Ive meet alot of guys and girls from all over Aus

Shane
WA, 199 posts
4 Oct 2013 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

There's nothing like participating in some regular slalom racing if you want to improve your all round sailing skills

aussieboats
NSW, 222 posts
5 Oct 2013 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

After 33 years of selling windsurfing gear , the gps to me is the most important improvement in the last few years , people are not only improving technique and speeds but the whole sport has grown in numbers , 3 years ago we had only 4 members in the mid north coast team and now where solid with over 30 members and the team spirit is so strong , so big thumbs up to the gps ,

fitz66
QLD, 523 posts
5 Oct 2013 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Wearing a gps does not improve your sailing, it shows up gaping holes in what you thought your ability was.Time on the water, commitment and pushing it improves your sailing and the gps gives you reference points to improve on. Plus you do meet lots of great people.

Milsy
NSW, 1176 posts
5 Oct 2013 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
keef said..

Milsy said..

if the question is, does wearing a gps improve my sailing?, the answer is........no, , for me, i probably wouldn't have been as motivated without the gps, but its the effort that comes off that motivation that improves ones ability,

hey champ your saying you wont improve by wearing a gps , but it makes you more motivated to spend more time on the water = improvement, ill have to go along with that

your quick off the water too man, i only left that there for a second, the gps allows one to focus more on a particular style or set of goals, you could still focus on those same goals without it, your simply just creating a platform for accountability for speed in your sess, putting pressure on yourself off the measured results,, do you think you can go really fast and not be that good a sailor? i've seen guys break forty who can't do a plaining gype, the gps, or gpstc is only requiring you to get to a certain level of sailing competence, after that it starts to become more a measure of power not sailing prowess, for example leo is a good sailor, great speed on the gps, bryon is a great sailor but not as fast as leo, so the gps after a point wont improve your sailing its just measuring power, not sailing prowess, it appears once you've developed enough sailing prowess, a few yrs, you'd now be better off spending your efforts wearing a helmet, vest, weight and just keep converting more power, better gps results, but not necessarily more improvements in ones sailing ability,,,,buying a stopwatch wont make you a better runner, running itself will do that,, i'm off to port to pick up my new ka sails, yay, I think learning how to rig them well for myself over time will improve my speed more than wearing a gps will, good luck beefy keefy

Milsy
NSW, 1176 posts
5 Oct 2013 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
aussieboats said..

After 33 years of selling windsurfing gear , the gps to me is the most important improvement in the last few years , people are not only improving technique and speeds but the whole sport has grown in numbers , 3 years ago we had only 4 members in the mid north coast team and now where solid with over 30 members and the team spirit is so strong , so big thumbs up to the gps ,

YEAH! The maurders is a great team , with a magnificent captain, and amazing team members, the gps has definately improvemented numbers to sailing, by creating a platform where you measure results, taking it away from recreation and giving time spent on the water more purpose, or precieved purpose for the user, as it builds towards a bigger picture, set goals etc, but thats the negative, windsurfing is a great recreational past time, the gps addiction can take away some of that magic, as one becomes more focused on a set of goals, can lead to disappointment, frustration with the sport, simply put, taking away from some of the fun,,,,, im coming up man, im leaving soon and be there about midday, thanks and see ya soon mark

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6286 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windxtasy said..

sboardcrazy said..

Kazza said..

Definitely, but my upper body has got bigger from holding onto big slalom sails (my t.shirts are a little tighter now). Jumping practice as suffered, don't like jumping expensive slalom boards & rigs. Tendonitis in the hip flexors from loading up the quads in down wind blasts and going for distance. So all in all I've found it has improved the sailing (more courageous flying downwind) but is hard on the body because you tend not to listen to the bod as much as to time to get out and your always going for it.

I must be doing something wrong as I don't get sore legs and everyone else says their legs get cramps or something.. Probably not good enough and not doing long enough bear offs yet.

I just get sore all over!

That's normal but boy the chiro stretches help even if I have to get up every few hours during the night so I don't seize up! ( Only after a long session) . That's one thing I was dissapointed in when I got my GPS - the biggest day I've done is 39kms.. How the boys do 160kms amazes me! I suppose the faster your average speed the easier it would be . I'm probably just too slow.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6286 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windxtasy said..

Obelix said..

Improved same aspects, neglected others.
So after 3 years, in my 4th season, back to basics. Learn to gybe properly.
If I hadn't started with the GPS, I would have learnt how to gybe long time ago.
But had so much fun in the meantime

I have done MORE work on the gybes because of the GPS. It is the area I most need to improve in.

I need to learn to tack but I don't want to start as my sessions will look worse..

keef
NSW, 1992 posts
5 Oct 2013 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Milsy said..

hey champ your saying you wont improve by wearing a gps , but it makes you more motivated to spend more time on the water = improvement, ill have to go along with that[;)

your quick off the water too man, i only left that there for a second, leo is a good sailor, great speed on the gps, bryon is a great sailor but not as fast as leo, so the gps after a point wont improve your sailing its just measuring power i'm off to port to pick up my new ka sails, yay, I think learning how to rig them well for myself over time will improve my speed more than wearing a gps will, good luck beefy keefy

hey milsy the quick and the dead you know I think you nailed it , I'm off to port to pick up my new ka sails gps sailing becomes an equipment race , as you reach your ability you need to upgrade your equipment, e,g Leo's board is a lake board designed for flat flat water and basically a dog in chop, so you need specialized equipment to improve your times, doesn't mean your a better sailor,
keep your eye on the graphs if primbee is 20 to 30 wsw,w,wnw, even sw youll have a good chance of doing 40knts, mick made it down in 2 1/2hrs

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6286 posts
5 Oct 2013 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
keef said..

Milsy said..

hey champ your saying you wont improve by wearing a gps , but it makes you more motivated to spend more time on the water = improvement, ill have to go along with that[;)

your quick off the water too man, i only left that there for a second, leo is a good sailor, great speed on the gps, bryon is a great sailor but not as fast as leo, so the gps after a point wont improve your sailing its just measuring power i'm off to port to pick up my new ka sails, yay, I think learning how to rig them well for myself over time will improve my speed more than wearing a gps will, good luck beefy keefy

hey milsy the quick and the dead you know I think you nailed it , I'm off to port to pick up my new ka sails gps sailing becomes an equipment race , as you reach your ability you need to upgrade your equipment, e,g Leo's board is a lake board designed for flat flat water and basically a dog in chop, so you need specialized equipment to improve your times, doesn't mean your a better sailor,
keep your eye on the graphs if primbee is 20 to 30 wsw,w,wnw, even sw youll have a good chance of doing 40knts, mick made it down in 2 1/2hrs

Yes I'm looking at my older sails wondering whether I need better and the new board I bought is probably slower than my old one ( but more fun in chop) so I'll prob be slower..

Obelix
WA, 810 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Of course you improve with a GPS.

You have something to compare with, and strive to do better in different categories.
Provides some excitement while waiting to compare results.
Makes you a part of a social group, all there to help you improve.

As for me, unfortunately, I also got too obsessed with how to go faster because of it.

Windxtasy
WA, 3820 posts
5 Oct 2013 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..

Of course you improve with a GPS.

You have something to compare with, and strive to do better in different categories.
Provides some excitement while waiting to compare results.
Makes you a part of a social group, all there to help you improve.

As for me, unfortunately, I also got too obsessed with how to go faster because of it.

You're not alone there...

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Does wearing a gps improve your windsurfing?" started by Dan133