WA, 11828 posts
19 Oct 2014 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Recipe.
Ingredients,
dead flat water,
wide board,
short fin.

Enter gybe, with a smoothly increasing pressure on the rail, when the fin starts to leave the water, and the tail starts to slide, hold the pressure there. You're now getting most of the centrifugal resistance from the rail.
This increases rate of turn dramatically and is loads of fun!!!!
If you get tooo enthusiastic though, fin and rail will loose their grip, and the board disappears from under you!

Possibly other people have been doing this for ages, but my team have only just discovered it, since using delta style fins to get into smooth weedy water.
Does this type of gybe have a name?

fangman
WA, 1238 posts
19 Oct 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
Recipe.
Ingredients,
dead flat water,
wide board,
short fin.

Enter gybe, with a smoothly increasing pressure on the rail, when the fin starts to leave the water, and the tail starts to slide, hold the pressure there. You're now getting most of the centrifugal resistance from the rail.
This increases rate of turn dramatically and is loads of fun!!!!
If you get tooo enthusiastic though, fin and rail will loose their grip, and the board disappears from under you!

Possibly other people have been doing this for ages, but my team have only just discovered it, since using delta style fins to get into smooth weedy water.
Does this type of gybe have a name?

I like Stroppo's term: Power Slide, but Rail Slide is probably a better description.

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
19 Oct 2014 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Talked to strop in the rain while we waited for wind that didn't come. And I agree with him, it feels like accelerating around a gravel corner in a rear wheel drive car.

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
19 Oct 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..
Talked to strop in the rain while we waited for wind that didn't come. And I agree with him, it feels like accelerating around a gravel corner in a rear wheel drive car.

Don't know why you are so amazed, this is how I gybe 99.9% of the time, particularly the part below, which is normal......isn't it?
"Quote"
If you get tooo enthusiastic though, fin and rail will loose their grip, and the board disappears from under you
That's standard for me

fangman
WA, 1238 posts
19 Oct 2014 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Mineral, No what is amazing is there was a guy down here yesterday who was visiting from up on the Pinnaroo patch who had managed thus far avoiding being shanghaied into the Pinners mob. Your reputation is under threat here Mineral - you had better sort this guy out before the word gets out that you are getting soft.

Trousers
SA, 565 posts
20 Oct 2014 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

I'd think that on'ce you've initiated the gybe, most powered gybes are driven by the inside rail. I guess in really wide boards I can see burying the rail might expose the fin, but despite really leaning it over, my tail end never slides out, so this slippy thing has me intrigued. Footage plz!

fangman
WA, 1238 posts
20 Oct 2014 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

This is a pic of Stroppo on a Delta ( taken by Snides last summer) and you can see the Delta is only just hanging on! I think it's only a 18cm fin from memory. A little more back foot at this point gets the power slide happening. I think it a product of the shortness of the fins (plus all the stuff Decrep said) that you can get it to work - my guess is the freestylers probably do it all the time. I am still concentrating too much on getting my gybe around to really pay attention to the finer details on what is happening, other than its good fun??

Trousers
SA, 565 posts
20 Oct 2014 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said.. other than its good fun??

There's no finer reason in my book!

That board don't look any wider than my Tabou, so next northerly (goes pretty flat where i sail) I might try and under-fin it and see if I too can pull a Stroppo...

Not sure about that front arm though, is that part of the technique!?

azymuth
WA, 1962 posts
20 Oct 2014 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Trousers said..

fangman said.. other than its good fun??

There's no finer reason in my book!

That board don't look any wider than my Tabou, so next northerly (goes pretty flat where i sail) I might try and under-fin it and see if I too can pull a Stroppo...

Not sure about that front arm though, is that part of the technique!?

Methinks only Stroppo can pull a Stroppo

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
20 Oct 2014 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at that track, I'm sure he's either sliding or has just slid, the direction the board's travelling doesn't quite line up with the curve of the track behind him. And that fin isn't doing much good.
Possibly once the fin is completely out of the water, that's when you loose it, some video would be great to do a proper analysis of just what's happening.

I don't think the rig plays much part in this, so I doubt Strop's arm has any bearing on the slide, it's all rail pressure.

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
20 Oct 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
azymuth said..
>>>
Methinks only Stroppo can pull a Stroppo

Well nobody could disagree with that!!!
But it's not that hard to do a rail slide, with a short delta style fin and a wide-ish board.
The hardest part is not pushing it too far!

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
20 Oct 2014 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

I am sure he would have had that front arm out straight earlier in the gybe.
He does look like he's just posing for the photo, and having great fun!

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
20 Oct 2014 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

He may be preparing to flip the rig?

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
20 Oct 2014 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

I think we need Stroppo to talk us through it...

stroppo
WA, 727 posts
20 Oct 2014 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

I was preparing to spay Snides but not intending to wet his camera sorry Snides and your right Mike on the track the board did get loose for a very short time as i was finding the pressure point of the fin that's a common thing to do whether your on the fin in a straight line or wave sailing or gybing!

fangman
WA, 1238 posts
20 Oct 2014 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stroppo said..
I was preparing to spay Snides ....

Now thats a Loreena Bobbit type typo!!

stroppo
WA, 727 posts
20 Oct 2014 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

R!!!!!!!!!

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1598 posts
20 Oct 2014 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

stroppo said..

hahahahahahahahahaha

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
21 Oct 2014 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..

stroppo said..

being a vet the possibility of a typo didn't occur to me!

snides8
WA, 1729 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fangman said..
This is a pic of Stroppo on a Delta ( taken by Snides last summer) and you can see the Delta is only just hanging on! I think it's only a 18cm fin from memory. A little more back foot at this point gets the power slide happening. I think it a product of the shortness of the fins (plus all the stuff Decrep said) that you can get it to work - my guess is the freestylers probably do it all the time. I am still concentrating too much on getting my gybe around to really pay attention to the finer details on what is happening, other than its good fun??

im always up for a good 'spaying' !!

I saw the young strop mobile coming from afar
and knew what he had in store for me
def a show boat gybe and not his normal efficient
fast gybe.

Windxtasy
WA, 4013 posts
21 Oct 2014 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Superb photo Snides!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk