Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

2016/17 NSW Raceboard Series Final Results

Created by bushfire 7 months ago, 20 Mar 2017
bushfire
NSW, 216 posts
20 Mar 2017 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

The final round of the Raceboard series was held at St George Sailing Club on Botany Bay on Saturday (18th March) and conditions were quite challenging with winds ranging from 2 knots to 25 knots from the SE to ESE. A lot of rain had fallen during the week and that continued during Saturday. Fortunately the grey weather kept the usual gaggle of pleasure craft traffic to a minimum. We completed 3 races on the "standard" SE course which was an interesting figure 8 shape, having 3 upwind legs. Some competitors rigged high wind sails but a bubble of light wind covered the fleet for the first race, making that sail choice a bad one. The final 2 races saw a return of the wind but it was still a bit patchy over the course at times. Great racing as per normal with a few season defining battles being played out. In the end it was James dominating again with 2 out of 3 wins, closely followed by Lea with a win in the last race.

A big thanks to St George SC for being very welcoming hosts and providing top class on water and off-water organisation.

Round 8 results (if you spot an error please let me know. Also note there is no difference between DNF & DNC in these results)

For the series overall, congratulations goes to James Grunfelder for defending his NSW Series Title convincingly from "newcomer" Lea Sitja. These two were well clear of the rest of the fleet but it was a close battle for 3rd place with Richie Reynolds just scraping home from John Doolan.

The growth of raceboarding in NSW is shown by the size of the fleet across the season - an excellent 44 competitors. Looking forward to next season

A big thanks to series sponsors Starboard, Severne and WindSurfnSnow, making for a well appreciated prize giving at the end of racing on Saturday.

A technical note : a series tie is broken by 1) who has the lowest dropped round.
If still tied then, 2) who has the best round score (arranged in order of best to worst for each competitor)

Series Results

SaveSave

bushfire
NSW, 216 posts
20 Mar 2017 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

INTERCLUB

We didn't make mention of the Interclub Trophy. This has been running for many years and even has a perpetual trophy - a wonderful monstrosity but with a lot of history. It goes to the most successful club competing at NSW level - limited to raceboards. There have been various ways of calculating the winner in the past but it generally follows adding up the season placings for the "x" number of sailors from each club. This year we have said the the top 5 sailors' placings from each club should be used. If a club doesn't have 5 sailors then the "series DNC" score should be used - this year that is 45.

Congratulations to Dobroyd Aquatic Club for winning this season (again!) - they have been the most successful club for many seasons. It was particularly pleasing seeing some new clubs in the listing.

AUS817
NSW, 132 posts
20 Mar 2017 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations James, Lea and Ritchie, some really solid performances from all three of you throughout the season. There really was some tight racing among the rest of the fleet throughout the season, and it's always a pleasure to get away with everyone for a weekend of great sailing and the social activities.

Finally and most importantly, I'd like to say a huge thank you to Glen Morrell, without who the Raceboard series would certainly not have been the same for a number of years. Thanks for the organisation, and handling of the results throughout the season. Your support to the sport, in particular the Raceboard class certainly doesn't go unnoticed. I know you're looking for a break next season, but I hope to see you next year as a competitor alone.

bushfire
NSW, 216 posts
21 Mar 2017 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the kind words John!

An update on the results - a scoring error identified and fixed. Give me a shout if you see any others.

Round 8

Therefore a slight change to the series results;

AyreForce1
NSW, 244 posts
18 Apr 2017 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

byra.org.au/peter-loft-marathon/
12 noon Sunday May 7

AUS817
NSW, 132 posts
18 Apr 2017 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AyreForce1 said..
byra.org.au/peter-loft-marathon/
12 noon Sunday May 7

Given the conditions are light, this will be a great opportunity for any Div II guys to get their old Div II Boards and 9.5M Raceboard rigs out.

#DIV II

dbmgreen
NSW, 23 posts
22 May 2017 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Some questions

1) Is there a tentative schedule for next years racing? 17/18
2) Is there a junior div?
3) Can you enter as a member of any yacht club or must be one of those listed?

AUS817
NSW, 132 posts
24 May 2017 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dbmgreen said..
Some questions

Good afternoon,

While I don't have any definitive answers, here is what I can tell you :-

No not yet, this usually doesn't get issued until July/August. That said is usually follows the format for the previous year (6-8 heats in the following locations (Hawks Nest, Dobroyd Aquatic Club, Illawarra Yacht Club,Sanctuary Point, Huskisson, St George Sailing Club, Woolhara, possibly Gosford).

Recent years I don't believe we've had any competitors. However there is a recent push to get a youth fleet established so if there are sufficient competitors I'm sure we could include one (although it may not be at all locations). The current push is for BIC Techno One Designs to be the board of choice for youth windsurfing and Australian Sailing is well and truly behind making this happen. There are discussions ongoing about including the BIC Techno youth fleets in either/or the Formula or Raceboard fleets (or both) throughout next season.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe the club needs to be affiliated with AWA? (Australian Windsurfing Assocation). So it's probably easiest to just be a member of one of the already affiliated clubs.

dbmgreen
NSW, 23 posts
25 May 2017 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for taking the time to respond, will keep an eye on here, maybe try and get myself and the junior down to dobroyd.

AUS817
NSW, 132 posts
26 May 2017 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

You're welcome.

The crew at Dobroyd would welcome you I'm sure. Richie and Lissa do a learn to windsurf school out of Dobroyd.

Also Richie, Lissa and Greg will be no doubt involved in constructing the Raceboard series calendar for next season, so they'll also be able to provide some info on the schedule and when it will be available.

John.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"2016/17 NSW Raceboard Series Final Results" started by bushfire