Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2015 JP Super Lightwind Gold

Created by PD > 9 months ago, 12 Feb 2015
PD
NSW, 58 posts
12 Feb 2015 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Is this the answer to light wind sailing? This is the best answer I've had yet. We get more light wind days than high wind days, but trying to sail them can be a disappointment. On the plane in the occassional gust and drifting along hanging on to a big rig the rest of the time (done that). Or coping with an 10-12 metre sail on a Formula board, (done that) which very few windsurfers enjoy. Or going to back to a displacement hull or a raceboard (done that - raceboards and a Serenity).

I had the previous JP Super Lightwind (V90 154) and it planed as early with a 9m race sail as the two formula boards I've owned, and although it didn't rip upwind like a formula board it gybed way better, was happy reaching and was fun to sail. I decided I'd buy the new the new SLW Gold regardless of its cost. (I have had medical advice that I am mortal and will probably be on a slab some day and in no condition to consider future board purchases).

So first time out in 5-7 knots with a 9.2 race sail and 70 formula fin. A little cat's paw of wind no more than 9 knots headed my way. I didn't think I'd get planing but the board planed on the second pump, so early I couldn't believe it. I have never planed that early with a 9 metre sail. It felt like it had the perfect rocker line, with no feeling of drag. It slipped over the water like a sled on ice. The next afternoon in a consistent 9-10 knots with the same sail and the stock 56 carbon fin I was on the plane all the time and planing out of gybes.

So it planes earlier than the previous SLW, gybes better, is 1kg lighter and is way more fun than any other light wind alternative I've tried. And the Gold? It's the colour the Textreme deck flashes in a chequer board pattern when it's wet and the sun shines on it and you're ripping along in almost no wind with a big smile on your face.

Mobydisc
NSW, 8378 posts
12 Feb 2015 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Good one, the perfect board for the wind we get here. I'd be interested to see how it goes with a larger cam free sail, whether the lack of cams make much of a difference.

PD
NSW, 58 posts
12 Feb 2015 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mobydisc,
I can tell you how it would go with a 9.5 and 10m Sailworks Retro because I had both during the time I had the previous SLW. The 9.5 pumped well and got the board going much earlier than the 9.1 Sail works NX race sail that I had at the time, although that sail was optimised for higher wind formula racing. The 10m retro was not as good as the 9.5, tended to push the board into the water. And I think it would do the same on this (nominally) bigger board. This board is supposed to be 168 litres. Feels like about 150 and looks like it against a friends 2 formula boards. Rider weight is also a factor. I weigh 78 kg. The fin is very important. A 70cm fin makes it plane 1-2 knots earlier. Older less upwind oriented formula 70 would be fine. I have used 54 and 58 fin on previous SLW. Faster than 70cm of course.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1809 posts
12 Feb 2015 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

With the amount of wind we have had lately this board could be a hot item, despite the fact that it costs it weight in gold. :)

have you tested the upper wind range. Given the summer breezes often build in the afternoon it would be interesting to know how long you can hang on before the ride becomes challenging.

stehsegler
WA, 2935 posts
13 Feb 2015 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Waiting4wind said..
With the amount of wind we have had lately this board could be a hot item, despite the fact that it costs it weight in gold. :)

What's the damage on it? Considering one of them for Singapore.

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1809 posts
13 Feb 2015 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

I think the gold version is around $3.5-4k.

stehsegler
WA, 2935 posts
14 Feb 2015 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Waiting4wind said..
I think the gold version is around $3.5-4k.

yup... that's steep once you add a rig to it.

jn1
SA, 1701 posts
15 Feb 2015 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PD said..
I decided I'd buy the new the new SLW Gold regardless of its cost. (I have had medical advice that I am mortal and will probably be on a slab some day and in no condition to consider future board purchases).

I think this is the right attitude for windsurfing. I've got another 15-20 years of sailing before arthritis finishes the sport. So, I pay the money for gear that I know will work so I can sail for the remainder of my time being the best sailor I can be.

BSN101
WA, 1493 posts
15 Feb 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jn1 said...
PD said..
I decided I'd buy the new the new SLW Gold regardless of its cost. (I have had medical advice that I am mortal and will probably be on a slab some day and in no condition to consider future board purchases).

I think this is the right attitude for windsurfing. I've got another 15-20 years of sailing before arthritis finishes the sport. So, I pay the money for gear that I know will work so I can sail for the remainder of my time being the best sailor I can be.

Beautiful words. In the spirit of living in the now.

BSN101
WA, 1493 posts
26 Feb 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

PD,

Hows the board going? any pictures? Whats your favourite rig with it? ETC?

cheers

PD
NSW, 58 posts
27 Feb 2015 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Board is great. Only complaint I could make is that it is black and heats up immediately on land in the sun. I use it exclusively with my Sailworks NX 9.2. If the wind is stronger than 12 knots I use my JP slalom 80 with a NX8.2, but you could use this board in 15-17 knots with a 7.5. The previous board was great with a 9.5 Sailworks Retro (no cams). These boards will plane early with any good 7.5 - 10m sail, depending on your weight. In very light winds ( under a consistent 10 knots, at my weight 78kg) you will only plane early with a bigger fin than the stock 56. For anyone thinking of buying one, I would say get the Pro construction, (better value for money) and there was nothing wrong with the previous model in the 90 wide. It was more lively than the big 92. There is only one size in the 2015 91 wide and supposedly 168 litres. It feels and behaves like 150 litres and is not comparable in volume to my previous Formula board or friends Formula boards in the 170 litre range. All board manufacturers adjust the stated dimensions and volumes to fit in with other boards in their range and against competitors and to appeal to the perceived market. That is no criticism, it's just what happens in marketing. I'll post some photos from my laptop soon.

BSN101
WA, 1493 posts
27 Feb 2015 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers PD, I look fwd to some pix.

PD
NSW, 58 posts
3 Mar 2015 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Some pix. Slaloms; Comparison from R to L 90 wide SLW, 80 wide SL, 68 wide SL, 66 wide SL; double conclaves to V; profile not thicker towards tale like slaloms; bottom cross linked carbon not Textreme.

Dezza
NSW, 611 posts
3 Mar 2015 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

That's a nice line up!!

And your lawn is in good condition despite being out windsurfing.

PD
NSW, 58 posts
4 Mar 2015 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I've had plenty of time to do the lawn this summer. Worst summer for windsurfing I can remember. I might get my sails out now and take photos of them too. Haven't seen some of them for weeks.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 JP Super Lightwind Gold" started by PD