Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2016 Exocet RS Slalom

Created by The Windsurfing Shed > 9 months ago, 28 Feb 2016
powersloshin
NSW, 1010 posts
20 May 2016 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

I also switched not long ago from Manta113 to rs5 2013 and found the board was riding a lot more flat. Run the mast foot at about 130 with 7.5 and 8.7 sails and 43-45 fins. What fin are you using?

cad184
15 posts
20 May 2016 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

as I wrote I was using a 46 cm F-Hot Carbon fin. Normally this fin produces a good amount of lift an it shoul be big enough for the 7,8 sail.
Yes the RS 6 board rides much flatter then the manta. By moving the mastfoot back I tried to lift the nose more. Will have to work on that to find the perfect Setting.

BR

Alex

cad184
15 posts
29 May 2016 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hello,
this time I tried the Rs6 with my 9,4 sail and a 48 cm Z-fin (Sl- ). Again the board was riding very flat. I started with the mastfoot at 136 cm, and went back in 1cm steps. I ended at 131 cm, and still the board caught the waves when I sailed on a braod reach. I wanted to put the mastfoot even further back and maybe put more downhaul on the sail, but then the wind died and I could not try this. next time I am also going to try a bigger fin (select S1, 51 cm).
Maybe some of the RS riders here can comment on their settings.

Best regards
Alex

petermac33
WA, 5040 posts
30 May 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

I sail with my 2011 75cm wide 115litre Tabou Manta mostly with a 7m sail and 44cm carbon Sonntag fin.

It lifts crazy high out of the water. With my 7.6m and the same size fin it still works well but definitely has bit more lateral force on the fin.

This increased lateral force causes the board to feel like its sliding more - resulting in less lift.

A few days ago I tried a 8.4m sail with the same 44cm fin - and the board felt absolutely terrible.

I struggled to get it upwind and the board felt like it was sailing sideways. Absolutely no lift whatsoever.

A bigger sail requires a bigger fin or a much stiffer fin which helps to resist the lateral force a bigger sail produces. Stiff

fins tend to be thick. The thicker leading edge helps to create lift too.

cad184
15 posts
30 May 2016 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

The Zfin is a really good fin, that most of the board Producers recommend for their Slalom boards.
I used the 48 cm ZFin with a Tabou Manta 85 with the same 9,4 sail.The fin produced enough lift and was not too small for the sail.
I dont think that the fin is too small. I had no problems with spin outs, the upwind performance was good.
In spite of that I will try the bigger and stiffer select fin next time.

BR
Alex

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1824 posts
31 May 2016 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cad184 said..
The Zfin is a really good fin, that most of the board Producers recommend for their Slalom boards.
I used the 48 cm ZFin with a Tabou Manta 85 with the same 9,4 sail.The fin produced enough lift and was not too small for the sail.
I dont think that the fin is too small. I had no problems with spin outs, the upwind performance was good.
In spite of that I will try the bigger and stiffer select fin next time.

BR
Alex

When I move the track back i also bump the boom up. It frees the board but also provides better balance for me. I have an earlier version of the board and set the track at about 130 mark

byronmc
NSW, 424 posts
1 Jun 2016 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

RS4 I put at 132 with select V max 39 with 7.7 and V max 43 with 8.4 you need a fin with flex for lift.
I find the new board has heaps of lift I dont need any more lift its like its hovering over the water compared to earlier modles without the cut outs.

cad184
15 posts
1 Jun 2016 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
I have a 2014 model of the RS6 (black with red cutouts). It has cutouts but a little bit different to the new version (without wingers on the side).
Maybe the new 2016 model produces more lift?
The ZFin I use (ZSL -)is a soft fin, that produces good lift in other boards. I also tried different boom heights but it did not have an effect on the lift of the board.

Maybe the 9,4 is too big and too heavy for the board? (I have 94 kg)
I only reached speeds about 25,5 kts with the board and the 9,4 sail. With the Manta 85 I easily reached 27 every time and a peak of 29,7 kts with the 9,4 sail in similar conditions.

With my 7,8 sail I was able to reach 27,5 kts within the first 5 minutes I was riding the new board.

I still believe that the RS6 is a good board, but with the 9,4 the setup is not perfect yet.
I have the back straps in the last hole and the front straps in the second hole from the back. Maybe it will help to put the front straps also in the last position?

Best regards
Alex

joe windsurf
1459 posts
5 Jun 2016 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

there is a discussion in the "general" section about soft and stiff fins ...
here, you all seem to agree that soft fins are the "go to" for better lift and early planing
thanks for that !!
that softer fin concept seems applicable to slalom AND formula fins ...

mgf
1 posts
20 Jun 2016 4:13AM
Thumbs Up

I don't know / don't have the 2014-15 Exocet RS6 but I can compare 2016 RS 6 (width : 82 cm - volume : 134 L) with 2014-15 RS6.5 (width : 85 cm - volume : 138 L).
Rider : 85-87 kg and 1,83 cm

EXOCET RS 6.5 (2014-15) :
- I was riding this board with 9,0 and 8,4 m2 slalom sails (XO Sails Gold 2015)
- Like my other 2014-2015 Exocet (RS4 and RS2) the 6.5 is riding very flat.
- Footstraps at the back position.
- Mastfoot at 130 cm.
- I was riding this board with 48 cm ERD Fastlane Evo fin which has a high lifting capacity.
- I was also trying to ride with a lower pressure on mast foot.
- With these tunings the board runs well with a good compromise between ease / performances (what I like with Exocet RS boards)

EXOCET RS 6.0 (2016) :
- This board replaces my RS6.5 so I'm riding with same sails and same fin.
- The board is very thick so I have doubt about real volume, closer to 140 L than 134L to my opinion.
- Very different board, riding less flat, good capacity to luff up with natural heeling.
- Footstraps at the intermediary position.
- Mastfoot at 130 - 131 cm from the back.
- 48 cm ERD fastlane Evo is very good in light conditions with 9,0 m2 with early planning and good upwind capacities.
- When wind is increasing, fin is too long so I'm using a 46 cm fin (same model) with 8,4 m2 sail.
- Compare to RS6.5, I didn't loose in lower wind condition (that was my fear) and I have a more "aerial" board also easier in choppy conditions but too early for me to say that speed is higher in flat conditions.

For both boards I have tested a Select Rhino LW 47 cm fin witch is a good fin but with lower lifting capacity to my opinion with these boards.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 Exocet RS Slalom" started by The Windsurfing Shed