Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2017 F2 Vegas Twin

Created by legless > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2016
legless
WA, 852 posts
14 Nov 2016 4:56AM
Thumbs Up

Decided to get the 2017 F2 Vegas Twin as I was after a twin fin board to minimise the issues with sailing with weed fins at budgie F2 is the only company currently making twin fin freeride boards. A twin fin is not going to be faster than a single fin but it is so much more comfortable to sail in shallow weedy spots as you have much more grip thus reduced spin out and the spin out either correct themselves or are easily pulled back as you can sail with smaller fins than a single which is needed in the shallow spots at Budgie,

Twin fins make windsurfing so much better for a heavy weight back foot heavy sailor like me.

Only had a short run on the 146 as end up getting a bit overpowered in the gusts with the 8m sail I had up which was also getting its first sail. But the board felt great and am looking forward to trying the smaller sizes.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9018 posts
14 Nov 2016 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

How much do these boards go for?

AUS 808
WA, 439 posts
14 Nov 2016 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

You might want to move your straps outboard for some speed, otherwise they look nice

joe windsurf
1480 posts
14 Nov 2016 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

what i find interesting is: new boards get wider as they get more volume, but they also seem to be making them shorter !!

AUS 808
WA, 439 posts
14 Nov 2016 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

I can't find any dimensions for these boards, the F2 web site only lists volume.

Who is stocking these in Australia?

MattDowse
NSW, 172 posts
14 Nov 2016 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Windsurfing Shop
www.windsurfingshop.com.au/
I saw them yesterday they look good!

Picard
NSW, 2 posts
14 Nov 2016 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS 808 said..
You might want to move your straps outboard for some speed, otherwise they look nice

I am a big heavy guy I do not need to put my straps outboard. If you are lighter you are best putting them outboard for speed f2 even put a sticker on the second from back outboard position as the best position for the footstraps.

Picard
NSW, 2 posts
14 Nov 2016 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

AUS 808 said..

I am a big heavy guy I do not need to put my straps outboard. If you are lighter you are best putting them outboard for speed f2 even put a sticker on the second from back outboard position as the best position for the footstraps.
Select to expand quote
AUS 808 said..
I can't find any dimensions for these boards, the F2 web site only lists volume.

Who is stocking these in Australia?

Obelix
WA, 1086 posts
14 Nov 2016 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

They are looking nice and friendly.
Wonder if you had a chance to sail the standard Tabou Rocket, and how these boards compare to them ?
Or how they compare to the Patrick Freerides .

legless
WA, 852 posts
14 Nov 2016 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..
They are looking nice and friendly.
Wonder if you had a chance to sail the standard Tabou Rocket, and how these boards compare to them ?
Or how they compare to the Patrick Freerides .

I have not sailed the Rocket but used to have a Patrik Freeride. The F2 Vegas 146 is faster than the Patrik freeride 145. The big difference is the twin fins the confidence you gain with two fins is the difference that confidence enables you to push the limits.. I believe a big single fin will plane earlier than 2 smaller ones but the 2 smaller ones will have a bigger wind range than one big one. I believe a single fin will have less drag thus faster but to get the most out of twin fins you use thinner fins or asymmetrical ones thus you reduce the drag difference.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
14 Nov 2016 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

if you hit say a turtle and loose a fin, do you sail in circles after that ?

seriously, nice concept ! Saw a guy in france have a slalom board designed that way by PC2

legless
WA, 852 posts
14 Nov 2016 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
if you hit say a turtle and loose a fin, do you sail in circles after that ?

seriously, nice concept ! Saw a guy in france have a slalom board designed that way by PC2

It is a good safety feature a few year back when sailing Twin fin Hifly's I snapped a few fins. As I only ever snapped one at a time I was able to sail back as I still had a fin to keep me going in a strait line.

forceten
1312 posts
14 Nov 2016 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

F2 AFAIK aren't in the states. Are they made at Cobra?

The F2 I had , way back was very very robust and v.good.

I like the twin fin concept, which allows shallow water starts/sailing, be interested in impression of the twin
Having tried the MUF Delta fin , in photo, as a single , I was disappointed in its turning, twin could be entirely different.

djl070
WA, 290 posts
15 Nov 2016 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Yes they are made @ Cobra and are mainly in Europe these days

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2017 F2 Vegas Twin" started by legless