Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

99L JP Single Thruster

Created by stehsegler > 9 months ago, 7 Oct 2010
stehsegler
WA, 2974 posts
20 Dec 2010 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Finally managed to test the board with a single fin setup in super gusty bump and jump conditions. In short the board feels a lot more loose with a single fin. I seems to get faster on the plane, feel faster and turns a lot easier. The draw back is that you need to concentrate a lot more then you are turning.

I used a 26 cm JP wave fin. Not sure how it compares to other fins on the market. I find there aren't actually that many fins with US around these days.

Keen to now give it a shot in proper waves to see how it compares.

russh
SA, 2923 posts
21 Dec 2010 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Just don't try it with the bite fins in as well - I did and it felt all wrong with the 26cm and sides - iwas too lazy to take them out.

There are plenty of US box fins between 24cm and 30 com if you look around the shops - I got a select 26.5 and it works well.

Sailed the 99 with a 4.2 standard set up in 25-40 knts on the weekend - was a little scary having so much foam underneath you in mega chop but it was do able - so for me 6.1 to 4.2m is a reality.

The fin is so upright though its is a weed magnet - spent more time at a local favovourite friday and saturday jumping in the water and getting the weed off between runs - wave jumps and chop hops wouldn't move it

The thing has a serious turn of speed with the 23cm fin back and heading just off the wind. The more I ride it the more I feel it is definately a great allround board.

But I will still pull out the 112 skate in dead flat seabreezes

russh
SA, 2923 posts
1 Feb 2011 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

Keen to now give it a shot in proper waves to see how it compares.

After a few months of riding all I can say is one thing - it doesn't compare to last years 92 twinnie on a wave and its mighty prone to losing the tail when it gets windier (25+) in cross off conditions with a little bit of chop on the face on a bottom turn - and why do you get plastic fins with a pro model???? Its not quite the allrounder I was hoping for for waves when it gets stronger but is a great blaster

Just need some NW'rs to really compare it on the preferred tack. Thinking I should have gone smaller (93l)

jwd
40 posts
1 Feb 2011 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

i think one needs to remember this is a 99 L board-- aka - a lite wind board-- sailin it in 25 + isn't what its designed to do..sailing 12 -gusting to 20 (w/ a 5.6) is more like its fortae. Having sailed the 99 in waist to mast & a half high side shorish stuff in lighter wind conditions; evan after 3-4 months, still think its an insanely loose, fast & Fun wave board for my - now 210# - weight.. with that said- i got the 93 as well and for 5.3-5.0 conditions it really is much more fun than the 99. At 25+ though....maybe the 83 or evan 75 might be the ticket (??)..

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1824 posts
1 Feb 2011 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

I just picked up the 83L and still waiting for enough wind to give it run. Out of desperation I had a few runs in flat water in underpowered conditions on my 5.8.

It steers well underwater (90kg), Got it on the plane for a few teaser runs which was boring in flat water but the real thrill was the way it snapped around in the gybe.....made me feel like a pro and I'm far from it. Compared to my FSW, which it replaces, this thing is so smooth, loose and slashy in the turns.

russh
SA, 2923 posts
1 Feb 2011 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^^^
I agree with you - I have had a couple of really nice 15-20knt sessions where the speed and floaty tail work well - just wish I managed to get a bit more range out of it - hence I should have gone the 93.

jwd
40 posts
2 Feb 2011 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

the 93 is very sweet..would like to try out the 83 oneday myself....

on a side note..just saw a pic of typhoon yasi headin towards the NE coast--YIKES-- that is one big azz storm -- best wishes to anyone in that area !!

jh2703
NSW, 1184 posts
7 Mar 2011 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Just got my 93 out for the first time today, have to say I'm very happy with it. This board is small for me at 110kg but I had no problem getting it up and going in about 18 knots with a 6.2, I think it's going to be super sweet in 20 knots with a 5.8. I'm going to get the 99 for my wave board and use the 93 as a high wind bump and jump board, a bit extra float is needed.
As others have said I found it super turny and it throws buckets of spray in the turns, I was under powered so found it a little hard to get upwind but it slogs ok. Tomorrows forecast is looking sweet so I'll give it a good workout in Thruster and single setup to see how it goes.
Up until now I've not found a better all round board then my 95 fanatic freewave but the 93 looks like it's got the job...I'll make final judgement after tomorrows sesh.

jwd
40 posts
8 Mar 2011 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

the 93 is sweet indeed ! its pretty much the same dimensions as the 99L but thinner in the mid section- its remarkaable how well it gags in lite winds but quickly planes up in a puff of wind-- much more lively on the wave face than its big brother the 99-- with that said i would never get rid of the 99-- it gags so well in lite wind yet handles fully powered 5.6--> 5.3 ( moderate) conditions so well-- used it today gusty up & down 5.6 side/side off conditions-- so much fun & loose for a 99L board--. the 99 & 93 really do make a great pair despite only a 6 L difference IMHO .. !

jh2703
NSW, 1184 posts
12 Mar 2011 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

93, I like it a lot. The single fin setup is awesome as a bump and jump board, not real fast but super comfortable and in total control, gota love that new fin. As a thruster it's a bit slow to get going, almost have to point it dead down wind to get it to release. But with the thrusters it shines in the turns, gybes are awesome, tight or wide it doesn't matter the board loves them. It's way better up wind with the single fin, but the thruster holds it's own when fully powered.
I'm going to wait till next year for the 99 as I've been told it will be a totally new board, not just the RWW with thrusters stuck in it like this years.
Anyways I'm very happy with it and would recommend you demo one when you can, with the JP trailer doing the rounds again next year give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

russh
SA, 2923 posts
13 Apr 2011 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Had three good sails on the 99l on the weekend - finally on the favourite tack and it felt great - has anyone experimented with different centre fins for the thruster set up.

Found the 23cm supplied a little lacking in upwind performance in stronigsh current withgusty wind when a bit underpowered. Tried with an OES 21cm fin wave the day before and felt better

How big can you go with the centre fin before you over fin it. Would a 23cm Select evo or similar be too much (>5.6m sails)
Cheers

stehsegler
WA, 2974 posts
13 Apr 2011 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

I used a 26 cm centre fin but found it was to big. For lighter wind I would recommend you bring the mast a little bit forward instead. I actually found that in generally the board is very sensitive to mast, foot strap and fin position changes.

russh
SA, 2923 posts
13 Apr 2011 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

I used a 26 cm centre fin but found it was to big. For lighter wind I would recommend you bring the mast a little bit forward instead. I actually found that in generally the board is very sensitive to mast, foot strap and fin position changes.

Thanks for the reply - I have played with set ups and am happy with wave riding performance - just really wondering whether a differnt shape 23cm fin would be too much (select Evo or X1 or similar) compared to the spec straight 23cm fin

Cheers

jh2703
NSW, 1184 posts
9 May 2011 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Finally got my 93 out in powered conditions today, Sailed all day on a 5.0 in bump and jump conditions and loved it. Tried every possible setup to see what the difference would be, Single, Single 22cm and 25cm, Thruster, and Thuster with the 22cm and the 25cm. The bigger fin I purchase was the same design as the original JP supplied fin. I settled on the Thrusters with the bigger 25cm fin for pure bump and jump conditions, heaps of grip and goes up wind better then any other board I have in my quiver. I'm a too heavy to use this board in the waves unless it's balistic, I'll have to wait untill my 99 gets here and then i think it'll be super sweet with the supplied setup

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"99L JP Single Thruster" started by stehsegler