Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Cheeky Monkey Slalom 236cm x 83cm

Created by dweller > 9 months ago, 4 Nov 2012
dweller
NSW, 131 posts
4 Nov 2012 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

I have just finished this one today, it is 236cm x 83cm and 7.5kg.

The design is the same as the 148ltr, but 3cm less width and the back straps are 2cm further in and a green pigmented sanding coat

mr love
VIC, 1700 posts
4 Nov 2012 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Stuart, The monkeys are breeding

dweller
NSW, 131 posts
4 Nov 2012 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Things always happen in the back of the van!

Mobydisc
NSW, 8423 posts
26 Nov 2012 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

I tried this board out last Saturday afternoon at Kyeemagh NSW.

It is quite different to my Tabou Rocket 135. The differences most noticable are the extra width, shorter length and how the straps were right out on the rail.

It was quite exciting to ride in the light winds. Once on the plane and in the straps it felt really exciting which is great in lighter winds. The board rides very flat on the water. I really have no idea how to gybe such a wide board as the video below shows. However when you fluff a gybe its hard to fall off because of the board's width.

After reading about the NSW slalom event that day, this would have been an excellent board for the event plus as its 83cms wide it fits in with slalom rules.

It could definately handle a pretty big sail, something over 9m quite easily.

Anyway here is a clip of me sailing the board:

keef
NSW, 1994 posts
27 Nov 2012 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

nice stuart you have done well, theres a lot of work gone into that board , has it got a double concave

mr love
VIC, 1700 posts
27 Nov 2012 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Keef, I haven't spoken to Stuart in detail but I beleive it is just a blown up version of my 70 wide board. That board is flat v in the tail with a subtle double concave, the concave running out at about 400 from the tail.
The V on my board was 0.7 degree a side so 1.4 degree combined and then the concave was applied to that and from memory only about 3mm deep max ( need to check the file)
If Stuart literally scaled the board in the Y vector ( width) then the V will have slightly reduced but I am not sure exactly what he did to my file.

Regards Martin

keef
NSW, 1994 posts
27 Nov 2012 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

martin im recycleing an old longreef express ,i should have sent you some ideas i had planned ,it would be interesting in CAD but its a bit late its ready to glass

dweller
NSW, 131 posts
28 Nov 2012 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Martin is 100% correct the board is exactly the same model as the ML112 and just scaled in the y axis. The reduced v makes the board ride really flat and extremely fast for its size as you you can see in this short video and gpsteamchallenge results from the weekend.

gpsteamchallenge.com.au/sailor/view/3893

sorry about the sound!
Stuart

mr love
VIC, 1700 posts
28 Nov 2012 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Cool, Looks like it sails really nicely.

I just checked the original 70 wide board CAD file. The V is 1.7 degree combined so 0.85 degree a side. The concave is very subtle , only 1.6mm deep. I put a reasonable amount of V in it as it is designed for Port Phillip Bay.
I then scaled to 83mm wide in the Y direction which is what Stuart did and the V decreased to 1.5 combined, .75 degree a side, so very little change.

Great work Stuart.

mr love
VIC, 1700 posts
28 Nov 2012 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Oh and Stuart, why are you out sailing, should be working on my SUP

dweller
NSW, 131 posts
29 Nov 2012 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Resin was drying!

Subscribe