Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Fanatic Shark vs Taboo Rocket

Created by DrCaligari > 9 months ago, 7 Sep 2011
DrCaligari
5 posts
7 Sep 2011 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hello every1, i just started windsurfing 1.5 months ago, altough i have a vast sailing experience mainly 470. Anw my current gear is an old RSX board and a 5.7 neilpryde sail. So now that i have a little more experience i started looking for boards and i have found the following, a fanatic shark 130 lt 2009 and tabou rocket 125 2010 and tabou rocket 2010 145. Will it be very hard for me to continue learning on a 125? Ive been told that if i drop alot in the water the mast hitting the board might break it, also only by comparing which is the best board?
Thanks

jakranz
VIC, 126 posts
16 Sep 2011 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

Good Stuff, I can't comment on the Fanatic Shark but can highly recommend the Rocket. I progressed from a JP Xciteride 135 very quickly to a Rocket 105 2010. The Rocket is double concave underneath and slices through the chop while being very fast. It depends how heavy you are and where you sail, I'm close to 100kg with wettie and other gear on and sail it up to a 7.5m cambered sail in Port Phillip Bay. I would probably pick the 125. The 5 liters to the Shark wouldn't make a difference, but the 145 lt could be a handful in chop and you may outgrow it soon. Tabou is also quite strong compared to JP for instance, however a severe smack on the nose with the mast will crack most Epoxy boards. I bought a NeilPryde boom / mast protector and separated the mast bit to attach it to the rig (~ 50cm below the boom) where the impact zone is. Other options are nose protectors but they are ugly IMO.
Another tip to prevent catapult, you may want to start getting used to the board by mounting the back footstrap in the middle rather than sailing slalom style. I frequently went over the handle bars when fiddling with the back foot into the straps in the outside position. Good luck mate.

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
16 Sep 2011 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

the fanatic sharks are extremely good for ding resistance, and they are awesome to gybe,

the rockets i found where built a little to light for me...

GazMan
WA, 835 posts
17 Sep 2011 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

jakranz said...

Good Stuff, I can't comment on the Fanatic Shark but can highly recommend the Rocket. I progressed from a JP Xciteride 135 very quickly to a Rocket 105 2010. The Rocket is double concave underneath and slices through the chop while being very fast. It depends how heavy you are and where you sail, I'm close to 100kg with wettie and other gear on and sail it up to a 7.5m cambered sail in Port Phillip Bay. I would probably pick the 125. The 5 liters to the Shark wouldn't make a difference, but the 145 lt could be a handful in chop and you may outgrow it soon. Tabou is also quite strong compared to JP for instance, however a severe smack on the nose with the mast will crack most Epoxy boards. I bought a NeilPryde boom / mast protector and separated the mast bit to attach it to the rig (~ 50cm below the boom) where the impact zone is. Other options are nose protectors but they are ugly IMO.
Another tip to prevent catapult, you may want to start getting used to the board by mounting the back footstrap in the middle rather than sailing slalom style. I frequently went over the handle bars when fiddling with the back foot into the straps in the outside position. Good luck mate.

Same goes for Fanatic boards. Got a new Fanatic Hawk years ago and had heard about noses on the newer lightweight construction boards getting easily smashed. Found a Chinook mast base protector (with plastic clip that fits around mast one end and velcro webbing other end), turned it upside down and secured it with the velcro around the mast at bottom of boom cutout area. Works a treat on rotational sails though would probably stuff up rotation of bottom camber if used on cambered sail.

jakranz
VIC, 126 posts
17 Sep 2011 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

GazMan said...

jakranz said...

Same goes for Fanatic boards. Got a new Fanatic Hawk years ago and had heard about noses on the newer lightweight construction boards getting easily smashed. Found a Chinook mast base protector (with plastic clip that fits around mast one end and velcro webbing other end), turned it upside down and secured it with the velcro around the mast at bottom of boom cutout area. Works a treat on rotational sails though would probably stuff up rotation of bottom camber if used on cambered sail.

Sounds like a similar setup I have, although mine pops on the mast with two clibs. I'm also using it on campered sails NP V8 7.5m and Ka Koncept 6.6m without affecting the cam rotation (the cam is between the clips), doesn't look too good but a healthy nose is all worth it IMO.

thommo72
SA, 82 posts
18 Sep 2011 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

I did a bit of research into freeride boards earlier this year. I've been sailing for a few years so I was looking for different features than you DrCaligari. I ultimately bought a Starboard Carve 121 litre (pretty happy with it). The Tabou Rockets were highly rated and appear ideal for people moving from really big boards to something with a bit more performance. I hope the following links help.

http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/120-litre-freeride-boards-overview-2010-138.html

boardtests.com/freeride-boards/

DrCaligari
5 posts
19 Sep 2011 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the help everyone, really helpful and friendly forum you have here, i will give you my feedback when i make up my mind.

DrCaligari
5 posts
1 Oct 2011 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Bought it 2 days ago and tested yday, its nothing like the old RSX board i had, very responsive and ultra fast without even trying, i had my fair share of falls but almost all of them when im trying to tack/jibe.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9018 posts
1 Oct 2011 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

What did you get?

DrCaligari
5 posts
2 Oct 2011 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

Oh sorry totally forgot to mention, :D, i got the 145 rocket

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews