Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

NUEVO 120li

Created by barbarian > 9 months ago, 25 Nov 2015
barbarian
NSW, 215 posts
25 Nov 2015 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Board = Nuevo 240cm x 64 = 120li (photos to come)
Me = 80+kg
Sail = Naish Chopper XL (5.3-5.7ish)
Why do I own a board with almost 40litres in excess?
Wind = 5-15kts
Surf = 2-3ft (my biggest wave was 3ft - long period swell 15secs.
I'll let this photo from my session this afternoon do the talking - I recorded it on my GPS watch :)

waves that run in excess of 500m? how awesome is that!

)

wintortree
NSW, 194 posts
25 Nov 2015 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Yea this is so sweet. How good is box cross off for well over half a km wave(746.9m) so fun. Today was epic. Big boards mean sailing where though not possible

barbarian
NSW, 215 posts
26 Nov 2015 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

So, I've sailed the 120 Nuevo over the past two years on and off by borrowing a board from my brother. It turns really well and feels very loose on the wave. In cross-off it loves to be underpowered [east coast] and therefore generate speed from the wave - it invites you to surf the wave properly rather than sail the wave. The board is very floaty which means when the wind drops you really can stand and wait for the next gust. This happened on a few occasions to me yesterday - really it went glassy! On this board you will not fall in - in fact I even tacked in this low wind.

I have sailed with and without the trailer fin (the 120li comes with three fin boxes). The board planes early already, but even earlier with the third fin, it points just that much better with the third fin. Powered up I prefer it without the third fin, the turning is better, but not so much better that you wouldn't ever use the trailer fin - it as its place to get you into the take off spot - particularly important at Toowoon Bay where the current drags you off the point.

The board is long (not that long!) compared to other modern wavebands - particularly with this years bevy of 215cm boards around! However this means in non-planing conditions you can rail upwind without having to resort to SUP sailing - something I have experimented with, and actually enjoy. But the speed generated on the Nuevo on the wave and the ability to throw it around is incredible compared to my Fanatic 8'5 which is the only board I could legitimately sail in the low wind conditions I often have to contend with.

If you have a young family and your window for sailing opens for an hour or so - and that is it - take it or leave it. Then the Nuevo 120 is a board you will ve very happy with. If you live in Maui or Geraldton, then get a smaller one!!

BenKirk
NSW, 600 posts
26 Nov 2015 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Good info thanks. I'm still running a 105ltr Exo Wave as my light wind board - and at 95kgs when it gets really light I struggle. SUPsailing is fun but you can't beat being on a waveboard, with straps on a decent wave. Being Sydney Northern Beaches we get great waves but not much wind.

I'll have to look into one of these 120's!

wintortree
NSW, 194 posts
2 Dec 2015 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a pic of looking down the line at box head. The wave never ends. Even at 2 foot.

uweh
311 posts
2 Dec 2015 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

cool pic...thanks

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"NUEVO 120li" started by barbarian