Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Patrik 2013 FSW 2013

Created by paddymac > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2013
paddymac
WA, 917 posts
19 Oct 2013 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

www.patrikdiethelm.com/index.php/product/boards/free-style-wave

I got this board as an alternative to my obsession with going fast. Bump and jump, burn and turn on the river for fun sessions or when it's just too choppy for a slalom board as well as coastal bump and jump. I've got Gaastra Cross 5.6 and 6.4 for it.

I've now had a number of sessions in a variety of conditions.

Speed with control in choppy conditions - straps out and back, 5.6, 32cm MB freewave. In these conditions I could really push it and feel confident. Pulled a 31kt and I don't reckon I would have gone much faster on slalom gear but it was a whole more relaxed. On one occasion I spun out a speed and the soft rails allowed me to pull it back into shape with no issues. Really nice to gybe fully powered up. Great over the back of the chop. Fast and fun!

Bump and jump - straps in and middle. Used the 6.4 in marginal wind and 5.6 in 18ish. Choc weed wave 24. Great fun, launches into the air really easily and gives a nice soft landing. Easy gybing, very forgiving for a hack like me. Enough float in the marginal stuff to keep me happy @ 80kegs. Quite loose on a wave given its size.

The full carbon build means it feels crisp but there is plenty of shape below to make it feel comfortable and give great control.

Really happy with this board, it puts a smile on my dial every session.

Mobydisc
NSW, 8485 posts
19 Oct 2013 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Great review of what sounds like a great board. Ditto for the Coolrider too.

paddymac
WA, 917 posts
19 Oct 2013 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Oops, typo in the title, Patrik 102L FSW

GusTee
NSW, 240 posts
20 Oct 2013 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review, good read.
How do you think it will go with a slalom oriented fin and race sail vs a slalom board for rough water?

paddymac
WA, 917 posts
20 Oct 2013 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

I'm thinking of getting a powerbox Goldwing I spotted to give it a go. Will post if I get it. I want to do a comparison between it and the 100 slalom. For an expert rider you'd always have your money on the slalom. For me, well... we'll see. I reckon the rougher it gets the closer the FSW will be but it will be much more relaxed sailing.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Patrik 2013 FSW 2013" started by paddymac