Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

S2 Maui Venom 2018

Created by byronmc > 9 months ago, 26 Feb 2018
byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
26 Feb 2018 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

The new S2 venom is out and what a sail.
super light and stable and wow it's fast.
used the 7, 6.3, and 5.7 first day and all did over 40 knots with top speed over 44.
very happy for the first time I used them.

NordRoi
621 posts
28 Feb 2018 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Just for my personal knowledge. Is the wrinkle that appears on the "mast sleeves" or Huge mast pocket, is that normal or it would requires adjustment, like spacer? Thanks.

AUS4
NSW, 1249 posts
28 Feb 2018 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NordRoi said..
Just for my personal knowledge. Is the wrinkle that appears on the "mast sleeves" or Huge mast pocket, is that normal or it would requires adjustment, like spacer? Thanks.

It doesn't matter what a sail looks like on the beach, you don't sail on the beach, if you have a sail without wrinkles on the beach you will have wrinkles and creases when you are sailing on the water. Good sails are designed to incorporate side mast bend etc while sailing.

NordRoi
621 posts
28 Feb 2018 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Lol, touch?!!! I however did my homework before posting the question and i checked venom pictures from their website. On two battens , a few were present, but not as the one on the pics. wrinkles are a bit more present. I'm not criticizing the rigging, just asking for guidelines on rigging a new sail. Would you say a new sail with the recommanded mast would never need spacers? Thanks in advance!

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
2 Mar 2018 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

The photo makes it more noticeable than in real life now I look at the photo.
sail brands like north have way more pronounced wrinkles, the top brands are doing this now to allow stretch on that side so when sailing they look and feel amazing.
ihave no spacers the cams are tight on the mast.
photo from first time I rigged it.

geoITA
145 posts
10 Mar 2018 1:53AM
Thumbs Up

You can eliminate wrinkles very easily by using spacers, if you wish. But this will also load the cambers more, so you will get a stiffer rotation. It's a matter of compromise.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
10 Mar 2018 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

since MauiSails became CC/constant curve and S2Maui always were CC
what masts are you using with such lovely sails ??

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
12 Mar 2018 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

I have tried the sails with the s2 mast. The Maui and the loft all ringed and felt the same which suprized me so I would imagine any cc mast be ok .
the one thing that can have a big impact is mast diameter if to thick it can increase can tension and effect rotation.

Kwibai
74 posts
4 May 2018 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

A first impression:

Locked in feel down low. The foil is like a harness but breathing. The top opens up a lot more and sideways mastbend is also more pronounced compared to it's rivals. Great sail for lighter riders that don;t want to rig big like the Giants. It's easy to open the sail upwind without getting hammered. I can see why it won the foil ranking last year.

BRUCE H
NSW, 179 posts
26 Jul 2018 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

I have used 7.7 s2 for 6 months now in place of my old Maui Sails, same mast. S2 is way lighter and feels locked in which I love. Rotates beautifully and the lightness means that it gybes like a 6.6, makes it so much easier. I am an average sailor but on Green Island at the nats I found I could manage even my 90 litre board when massively overpowered. On my bigger board I could gybe well in the races and go past people. Pumping onto the plane out of gybes was amazing, maybe because its so powerful but also the light weight makes pumping easier. Maybe less durable than the Maui because of lighter materials . Oh and the bright colours came out nice in the photos.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7916 posts
26 Jul 2018 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

How many cams?

AUS4
NSW, 1249 posts
26 Jul 2018 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..
How many cams?

Looks like 8 cams Sue.

ratz
WA, 469 posts
26 Jul 2018 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

four cams I would say
eight battens.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
27 Jul 2018 5:57AM
Thumbs Up

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
27 Jul 2018 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Are there any sails being made now with more than 4 cams? I have an old NP WC mk4 with 6 or 7 cams

Kwibai
74 posts
27 Jul 2018 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
Are there any sails being made now with more than 4 cams? I have an old NP WC mk4 with 6 or 7 cams

There truly is no need for it. The good thing about modern sails and the Venom in particular is the balance betweeen drive and softness. That makes for a very foregiving and energy saving feel at possible blistering speeds. The more I sail with the Venom ,the more I realize taking a given size is more related to the goal one has in mind for a given session than anything else. I've been sailing in sessions in which I could have taken any size from 5.7 to 7.7 and be competive for that given goal. The route towards the future is not with more cambers but with less. Modern foils are so stable and rigid that there are answers lying within the shapes created by the artists designing the foils that bring us the fun we derive from them on the water.

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7916 posts
2 Aug 2018 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

I should have known it would be a full on race sail if Byron was on it..

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
19 Aug 2018 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Its a beast a fantastic top of the line race sail that's fast and locked in making sailing easy.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"S2 Maui Venom 2018" started by byronmc