Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Simmer Style Icon 2019 - First look

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 2 Oct 2018
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
2 Oct 2018 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

I Just picked up my new sails for the season, This is the Simmer Style Icon 5.3 and I've also got the 5.6 and it's their 5 batten world wide wave sail.
What Simmer Style has to say about the Icon....

The Icon our all time best selling sails, this is our most versitile sails in the range as it combines ease of handling with a sensationally crisp direct riding feel. The five batten panel layout gives you an absolute control in all situations and the confidence to push hard. If you are jumping in high-wind jumping in Capetown or down the line wave riding at Hookipa, the Icon ultimate level of stability in vast wind ranges. Versatility is the name of the game for the traveling windsurfer and the Icon is the most versatile sail ever designed.

For the 2019 Icon features more curve in the top 25%, but with a breaking point for the twist lower down in the sail. This allows the sail body and mast to generate more energy which effectively creates a more dynamic sail body. The new vertical shaping techniques allows us to create a more harmonious sail profile which results in a more even skin tension between all areas of the sail, providing a more balanced and effective rig.

For a sail that works in all type of conditions, world wide, the Icon is your choice.

Looks very well built

I spy the new Simmer SX10 carbon boom

I've picked the 5 batten sails for my largest sails in my quiver for a bit of extra wind range and stability

Simple single eyelet in the clew

5.3 is my most used sail at Gerroa

I've also picked up some new Blacktips in 5.0 & 4.7 to round out my quiver

They definitely have Style

Won't miss these on the water

Anyways I'll give you the run down when I get a chance to get them wet. Head over to the Simmer Style website to get the full rundown or visit www.simmerstyle.com.au and Jesper can hook you up with some awesome Simmer Style gear.

windsurftom
NSW, 333 posts
4 Oct 2018 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

The sail looks great, I am interested if that is the recommended amount of looseness in the leech in the last pic?
Looks like a race sail twist off

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
4 Oct 2018 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windsurftom said..
The sail looks great, I am interested if that is the recommended amount of looseness in the leech in the last pic?

I'm leaning towards I may have pull it down a tad much. It's the first rig so some trial and error was expected, They do say they have introduced more twist so maybe it's correct...Time will tell.
I've not rigged a 5 batten sail for many years so not sure what I should expect these days. What is noticeable though on the new Blacktips compare to the previous version (as featured in my other post) is that the luff sleeve has introduced a noticeable amount of mast bend before you even start the down hauling so maybe this is the same for the Icon.

I'll keep you posted.

????

Soul
13 posts
8 Nov 2018 3:23AM
Thumbs Up

Just orded the Icons in 4.7 Legacy 5.3 monofilm 5.9 Legacy. Hope that i get them soon .

uweh
311 posts
8 Nov 2018 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

the new simmer carbon boom is really good....

thinman
2 posts
1 Jan 2019 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jh2703 said..

windsurftom said..

I'm leaning towards I may have pull it down a tad much. It's the first rig so some trial and error was expected, They do say they have introduced more twist so maybe it's correct...Time will tell.
I've not rigged a 5 batten sail for many years so not sure what I should expect these days. What is noticeable though on the new Blacktips compare to the previous version (as featured in my other post) is that the luff sleeve has introduced a noticeable amount of mast bend before you even start the down hauling so maybe this is the same for the Icon.

I'll keep you posted.

????

Agree on the overdownhauling after cranking my own way down out of force of habit from slalom and race sails. In my experience with Icons the batten above the boom will be a hair forward of the mast at the ideal downhaul setting for looseness as well as for max outhaul range. Kudos to Simmer for keeping this sail in the lineup, and for dubbing it the Legacy. There's dignity in having been around for awhile, hopefully for sailors as well.

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
1 Jan 2019 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

I guess it's time to give an update on the sails...The Icon is nothing short of my perfect sail.

I've been going with the trend the last few years, dropping battens like hot potatoes. After my first sail on a 5 batten sail for many years I'm totally switching back with no intentions in future of going any less.

The Simmer Icon is truly a real world sail, It's handled everything I've thrown at it...Waves, bump and jump and free sail.

My 5.6 is my go to sail, Paired with my 2019 Q115 it's so good in xoff at my home break.

It's totally effortless to sail, I can sail this in most conditions with ease. Even when over powered it keeps it's sh!t together. The need to change down is way different compared to my older 4 batten sails. The thing I noticed the most is it's stability, And if any one knows Gerroa they can vouch for how gusty it is...No issue with the Icon.

Like I said...It's my perfect sail, It's improved my sailing so much this year. Perfect combination of power and stability.

If your around Gerroa and want to try mine, I've got a 5.6 and 5.3 that you can take for a run.

....The BlackTips are still pretty sick also, I've got a 5.0 & 4.7 you can test ride also.

Give Simmer a go, Easy logistics and great people to deal with. You won't be sorry.

Cheers J.

7 Jan 2019 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick note that there is following sizes in the 2019 Simmer Icon for demo (in WA).

Your also welcome to test the Blacktip 2019 in the same sizes

Cheers
Jesper

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Simmer Style Icon 2019 - First look" started by jh2703