Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Waterproofing sails

Created by Francone > 9 months ago, 28 Nov 2016
Francone
WA, 289 posts
28 Nov 2016 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

I hear that with time Dacron may absorbs water. Is it feasible (and recommended )to waterproof an older Dacron sail? How? Which product can be used?

Thanks

Francone

John340
QLD, 3064 posts
28 Nov 2016 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

According to Wikipedia, Dacron sail material has low water absorbency. This allows the fiber to dry quickly if they get wet.

Paddles B'mere
QLD, 3586 posts
28 Nov 2016 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Dacron is a marketing name for PET, PET (polyethylene) is hygroscopic like heaps of polymers and so can absorb water. I'd be thinking that the dacron would need to be pretty much stored in water to absorb it though, I dunno what the absorption rates are. I wouldn't bother waterproofing it.

Sparky
WA, 1121 posts
28 Nov 2016 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

Francone, you seem to be finding the most difficult route to having a windsurf sail on your SUP.

Shifu
QLD, 1919 posts
28 Nov 2016 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Francone said..
I hear that with time Dacron may absorbs water. Is it feasible (and recommended )to waterproof an older Dacron sail? How? Which product can be used?

Thanks

Francone

Do not worry about it. Waterproofing is completely unnecessary on your sail.

You do have to waterproof your fins though.

LeeD
3939 posts
29 Nov 2016 2:17AM
Thumbs Up

A 6.5 lbs dacron sail might weigh 7.5 lbs after initial uphaul, and barely affects waterstarting.
After the 6.5 lbs dacron sail is up and sailing for 3 minutes, it barely weighs 6.7 lbs., so it's not noticeable.
Due to the surface area of dacron sails, it's weave compared to flat monofilm, the drying time is about the same.

Beaglebuddy
1595 posts
29 Nov 2016 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Regular surfboard wax works well, it does take a while to apply and you need to do both sides. It does however last a long time, in fact I guaranty you will never do it again.

LeeD
3939 posts
29 Nov 2016 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff, BB, and especially if you melt it just barely, and brush it over the entire sail.....
Best to just shake the sail after you get it up in the air....like pumping. The water flies off quicker than a monofilm sail.
Yes, I do use a 4.5 SuperFreak as my sail of choice in that sizing, and I have North Voodoo's, Zeta's, WW InterfaceWave and Airs, NP Search, Ezzy Waves, and Simmer Reefs, and Loft Lips in that sizing.

djl070
WA, 290 posts
29 Nov 2016 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Or you can just buy a monofilm sail,problem solved

John340
QLD, 3064 posts
29 Nov 2016 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Beaglebuddy said..
Regular surfboard wax works well, it does take a while to apply and you need to do both sides. It does however last a long time, in fact I guaranty you will never do it again.

I didn't think Americans did satire.

joe windsurf
1480 posts
29 Nov 2016 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

i have seen expert windsurfers bring their kit to the water and beachstart with their sail NOT touching the water
if they fall in after that - racing , trying something new or mistake/breakage
in other words - as others have said - don't leave it in the water

personally NEVER put anything on my sails, but local, Georges, once suggested 303 Aerospace Protectant
it was more for UV protection on monofilm, but other than that I have NOT heard of anyone putting anything on their sails

forceten
1312 posts
30 Nov 2016 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
John340 said..

Beaglebuddy said..

I didn't think Americans did satire.

Actually we invented it. This I feel is not.

nazsail
VIC, 317 posts
30 Nov 2016 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Put a sticker on mine once...

joe windsurf
1480 posts
1 Dec 2016 7:00AM
Thumbs Up

put monofilm tape to keep it dry then ??
this is a joke - in case mis-interpreted

Sparky
WA, 1121 posts
1 Dec 2016 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh, you could get a sail maker to replace any areas of Dacron with monofilm.

AUS 808
WA, 440 posts
1 Dec 2016 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..

this is a joke - in case mis-interpreted

What, the whole thread?

Velvo
NSW, 1 posts
1 Dec 2016 7:21PM
Thumbs Up