Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

advice on fanatic hawk 100

Created by ESM > 9 months ago, 29 Nov 2013
ESM
19 posts
29 Nov 2013 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone advise on this board for chop and flat water. Strengths and weaknesses

Waiting4wind
NSW, 1817 posts
30 Nov 2013 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Good all round board, smooth in chop and gibes nicely.

GazMan
WA, 699 posts
30 Nov 2013 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Waiting4wind said..

Good all round board, smooth in chop and gibes nicely.

+1
Beautiful board to gybe and goes quite fast in a smooth effortless way but still very controllable in chop, except for in steep chop when its just a bit too fast! (fsw would be better in rough chop)

IMO only weakness would be light wood sandwich construction which is wafer thin (I've cut an earlier Hawk open to attempt repair and well known board repairer in Perth said it was the thinnest, lightest sandwich construction he had seen from Cobra factory).

jn1
SA, 1720 posts
4 Dec 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I agree. I used to own a 2012 100 Hawk. Poorly constructed (very fragile, wonky fin box, deck around feet was too thin). Other than that, excellent board. Very lively. It jumped really easy. I found it difficult to go up wind. The only reason I got rid of mine, was I was a bit under volumed in winter on the fresh water lakes (salt winter was fine)... and that's mostly what I used it for. If it was 110L, I would still have it.

GazMan
WA, 699 posts
5 Dec 2013 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jn1 said..

Yeah, I agree. I used to own a 2012 100 Hawk. Poorly constructed (very fragile, wonky fin box, deck around feet was too thin). Other than that, excellent board. Very lively. It jumped really easy. I found it difficult to go up wind. The only reason I got rid of mine, was I was a bit under volumed in winter on the fresh water lakes (salt winter was fine)... and that's mostly what I used it for. If it was 110L, I would still have it.

Yeah, with all it's performance I couldn't get my Hawk to point upwind very well either regardless of what fin I tried. Now have a Tabou Rocket which sails upwind much better than Hawk.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"advice on fanatic hawk 100" started by ESM