Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

Sunday Sailing photos 12.2.2017

Created by Gillianv > 9 months ago, 13 Feb 2017
Gillianv
TAS, 367 posts
13 Feb 2017 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Sunday tested all of us with extremely windy conditions and there was both gear and bodily damage.
Geoff, Greenie, Alan, Raffa, Paul T, Paul B, Nick and I went out at Bell Bouy during the middle of the day in 31-37 knot winds
A 4 metre sail was the ideal size for most on the water.

East was sailed in the late afternoon by Alan, Paul T, Paul B and myself ( the last six photos ).

Hope the foot is better than expected Geoff !

Gclark1
TAS, 546 posts
13 Feb 2017 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

What a day - those photos say it all (most of it). I particularly like to see Al swimming, I mean the shot of Al almost making the top-turn....

Greenie should have turned LEFT at the top of that jump, and Paul ALMOST put that Mule Kick down the right way up, but it was more Table Top than the photo shows. 'Cool Kids' is now 'Old School Paul - stick with something long enough...

It looks like Gil timed her runs for the biggest waves of the day, intentional I am sure as she is turning over a new, radical leaf in preparation for the half century (I am sure that is what she said to me).

The foot could be better - but it could have been the knee or the ankle too. Six weeks off the water (or a bit less perhaps.......3 I reckon...EASY!) They are only little fractures, and it is only 3 Metatarsels.

This is what happens when you get your foot stuck in the front strap when you go over the front. I was lying on my back on the front of my board with my front foot still fully IN the strap. I could not believe the angle that it bent to, and grateful that the damage was not worse.

Thanks for helping me off the beach Greenie!

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
13 Feb 2017 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greenie was out sailing when I got to Bell Buoy and I thought "where's Geoff" until I was told he had broken his foot so I was quite surprised to see him casually sitting on the beach watching the action as if nothing had happened. It made me think of that scene from Monty Python "The Holy Grail".

I would say that Bell Buoy will seem very quiet for a few weeks but on my record this summer I probably wont be there either.

Hope it knits up quickly Geoff.

Rustbucket68
TAS, 487 posts
13 Feb 2017 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Great pics Gill and Al...such an awesome day with heaps of wind. Hope you have a speedy recovery Geoff...break looks a bit nasty..the wave riding was great at East Beach but the wind was very gusty and it was difficult to line them up..at times it was slightly cross off..looking forward to the next wave session

houston
TAS, 3173 posts
13 Feb 2017 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Ouch that must have hurt lucky you didn't do a bunch of ligaments............ have to say Clarky your foot looks weird more like a monkey than human which probably means you'll fix quickly

martyj4
500 posts
13 Feb 2017 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Well there was some breakage down south, but equipment, not body, eh Ant?

martyj4
500 posts
13 Feb 2017 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Just getting to the top turn .....

Kasplash!

Ant's new 3 piece mast.

geared4knots
TAS, 2645 posts
13 Feb 2017 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Geoff, you mean you were rolled in the surf?, not a jump/loop?
booties really suck , as you just cant get your foot out when you want too, i presume you had boots on?
hope pain free now and lots of rest elevation while greenie and the boys dress up in their nurse uniforms for you
Great to see Paul has had some great fun in the surf, lots of guys up there should give it a go, dont know what they are missing out on!

Gclark1
TAS, 546 posts
14 Feb 2017 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

G4K - It is always the silly little things that cause tha damage... I had just launched off the beach, popped over a little 1 footer and landed into the face of the next one (Bellbuoy short wave period). The board stopped, I didn't. The back foot came out but because my (body) trajectory was straight at the front of the board, and rotating clockwise, the front foot didn't.

Boots on - yes. I hate having to wear boots but at Bellbuoy, you have to wear boots or you break your feet...

As for the uniforms, I think that I can do better than that...

Kazza
TAS, 2341 posts
14 Feb 2017 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Ouch, you reckon that's a little break!! I can thank my lucky stars then, same thing happened to me just after xmas, thought the knee, ankle and foot were going to be totally stuffed but got to the beach and I could walk with no pain.....such relief. Foot's still playing up a bit but slowly healing. Commiserations to you.

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1651 posts
14 Feb 2017 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Marty I would say it takes heaps more skill to break a wave mast in two places so you are rapidly improving Houston

Gclark1
TAS, 546 posts
14 Feb 2017 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Ooooooooohhhhh - I get it.

I thought the mast was just the latest development from that mob who came upon with the 'Z' boom all those years ago. I couldn't see what was broken. It's obvious that the driver doesn't work of course.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
14 Feb 2017 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

With all the Fanatics and Revolutionaries around its not surprising that stuff keeps getting broken.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"Sunday Sailing photos 12.2.2017" started by Gillianv