Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

WT Calendar 2020-21 Season

Created by Mort67 > 9 months ago, 11 Oct 2020
Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
11 Oct 2020 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

The committee has decided to trim back the calendar this year in terms of number of events planned. Partly due to having a reduced committee size and difficulty in getting a full calendar to actually happen. The focus will be on a smaller number of "title events" to encourage participation and hopefully get some definitive results at the end of the season.

October
Sat 17th Season Opener Social (Low Head) - Foil windsurfing, Wally sailing and wave sailing, try something new followed by pizza night - Alan Cook 0448 784 752

November
Sat 21st Try Windsurfing morning at the Kingston Beach Sailing Club - Jo Chau 0428 248 168 (Supported by WT)

Sat/Sun 28/29th State Titles - Windsurfer Class/R300/LT (Delayed 2019/20) at the Sandy Bay Sailing Club - Jo Chau 0428 248 168

January
Sat/Sun 9/10th State Titles - Wave sailing (Round 1) at Marrawah - Al Cook 0448 784 752

Sat 16th Learn to windsurf North - Lagoon/Georgetown , Al Cook 0448 784 752

Mon 25th Dash for Cash, Sandy Bay Regatta -SBRA Event, supported by WT (Contact TBC)

February
Sat 13th State Titles - Freerace GPS (Round 1), Hobart (location to be advised on Seabreeze ahead of event) - Dave Morehead 0418 361 801

Sat/Sun 20/21st 2021 State Titles - Windsurfer Class/R300/LT - SBSC. Jo Chau 0428 248 168 (date & venue to be confirmed)

March Sat-Mon 6-8th State Titles - Freerace GPS (Round 2) at Stanley (incorporating the Cape Country Classic)

Other events: GPS5 Event - Points go toward State Titles Venue: Anywhere in the state, results posted via KA72 to the GPSTC. Contact: Dave Morehead 0418 361 801

Note: WT State Titles Windsurfer/R300/LT (Windsurfer Class) points will be combined from the 2020 & 2021 State Title events.

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
11 Oct 2020 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

With the reduced calendar, you may ask yourself, why be member of WT? One of the primary reasons for WT and other AWA affiliates to exist is to provide a legal entity for 3rd Party insurance coverage. The AWA has spent a lot of effort in renegotiating the insurance post COVID and the new policy offers some additional benefit:

This insurance cover applies when members and other insured persons/entities are involved in activities that are sanctioned by AWA/WT. These activities include sanctioned AWA/WT events, training, practice sessions, and windsurfing activities 24 hours a day (except organised events not sanctioned by AWA/WT).

Effectively that means that WT members sailing together in GPS, wave or other "training" activities maintain "member to member" cover for 3rd party insurance.
More details of the cover can be found at www.windsurfing.org/files/info/2020-21_AWA_SummaryofCoverv4.pdf
Membership for WT can be signed up at windsurfing-tas.tidyhq.com/public/membership_levels

Cheers, Mort

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
12 Oct 2020 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

The forecast for Saturday is for light to moderate easterlies. Good conditions for a race at the Tamar Yacht club. I have a couple of spare boards for anyone who is interested in giving it a try. Following this we will be at Lagoon beach for some foiling or longboard sailing from around 4 pm. Pizza will be at 7pm.

MatStirl
TAS, 136 posts
13 Oct 2020 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mort and Alan

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
17 Oct 2020 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions today were quite challenging given the rain and cold southerly. Regardless Ken and I joined 15 dinghies on the river for some racing after our glorious leader and premier Peter G officially opened the season ( for sailing ). After a couple of finger numbing hours on the water we returned to the clubhouse for cakes and tea or beer. As usual Tamar put on some fantastic racing and the cakes and scones were delicious.

I have cancelled the pizzas this evening and will fire up the oven when it's warmer.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
17 Oct 2020 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Tasty treats at the yacht club!

Kazza
TAS, 2341 posts
19 Oct 2020 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Be honest Al, you really just went in the race for the food

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
19 Oct 2020 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazza said..
Be honest Al, you really just went in the race for the food

Actually I arrived at the clubhouse late in the morning when it was much colder and windier and there were all the young crew who had been out training in the brutal conditions, not to mention the coach and rescue boat crew. I figured that that would be it for the day apart from King Peter and the cakes. However as the afternoon arrived they were still motivated for more racing. Apparent temperature was around 2 degrees!!! Fortunately the rain eased and the temperature went up by at least a degree by the time I got on the water. ( There was no avoiding it if I wanted scones.)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"WT Calendar 2020-21 Season" started by Mort67