VIC, 58 posts
10 Feb 2017 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

One week to go!!!

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
13 Feb 2017 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Forecast looks great for this weekend! 20 Knots WSW!

Sputnik11
VIC, 820 posts
14 Feb 2017 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PortPhillipDW said..
Forecast looks great for this weekend! 20 Knots WSW!

What are the details?

PortPhillipDW
VIC, 58 posts
15 Feb 2017 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Find all the details at: www.sailacrossthebay.com.au

Sputnik11
VIC, 820 posts
18 Feb 2017 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PortPhillipDW said..

Not enough wind today?

Spotty
VIC, 921 posts
19 Feb 2017 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sputnik11 said..

PortPhillipDW said..

Not enough wind today?

Correct for the most part, and hence probably why only myself and Simon showed up for the windsurfers.

I planed and straight lined it just about all the way to Rickets Pt on the Formula/8.7KaRace, the wind was a better angle than last year. Launched in what was a good 18knots with leed kiters already about a 1.5 to 2k ahead and went straight over the hangers after the second bar trying to get in the straps.

Started making ground on my course as I could see the leed kiters heading further out offshore & not going as deep. Had caught them by Rickets as a foil I think had pulled to the front of their pack. The wind had started backing off then and I could see the kites sweeping back and forth with only a few making any decent progress.

I just slogged it from there to Sandy breakwater with a several other kiters just managing to make it up to or past us. I went in there to adjust the sail but could not even beach start to continue so had to pull the pin.

Kudos to the kiters and all who persisted and fought to keep their rigs up or do repeated water relaunch's to try and make it to the end. I'm sure those with a fight against cancer would swap any less enjoyable day we have ever had on the water and this is what this event is partly about on one point and that is putting yourself thru a bit of pain to show your support for them.

Thanks to the organizers, volunteers and the SLC's, coastguard.

mr love
VIC, 1482 posts
19 Feb 2017 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Well done Spotti...was not happy that I could not do it but had a long standing commitment for yesterday. Next year!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Sail Across the Bay 2017" started by PortPhillipDW