Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

LOC 2019

Created by shaggy696 2 months ago, 10 Jan 2019
shaggy696
WA, 52 posts
10 Jan 2019 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

After the disasters of last year in terms of organising the race I am not holding much hope after seeing the email from WWA stating they have not been asked to sanction the event hence will not be providing third party liability insurance.
I now see on LOC facebook that all competitors will have to pay $25 for on the day third party liability insurance if can't prove which I would have thought will be majority as usually people would have been covered by WWA & KWA.

This is a complete con that this is only now being stated on the facebook page and even more so at $25 when from memory in the past those people that were not WWA or KWA could pay $10 on day.

Looks like LOC are finally going to kill the event as we know it along with the cancelation of the Wave comp on the Friday. They have moved the Kite Wave to Sunday when forecast is good but just cancelled the windsurfing waves. Having the freestyle down for 9am Saturday was always a good one but obviously have since realised and moved it to the Sunday.

remery
WA, 346 posts
10 Jan 2019 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

And event(s) are being cancelled :(

Sparky
WA, 851 posts
10 Jan 2019 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

But they have a beach run and a try fishing day!!

Jono77
WA, 328 posts
10 Jan 2019 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sparky said..

And a bouncy castle

Subsonic
WA, 1517 posts
10 Jan 2019 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Won't be competing. May give the bouncy castle a go.

snides8
WA, 1555 posts
11 Jan 2019 6:22AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like Cervantes and Leeman are now the premier events.

AUS 808
WA, 226 posts
11 Jan 2019 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jono77 said..

Sparky said..

And a bouncy castle

Bouncy castles & wind always go well together

Let windsurfers run it FFS.

Bails
WA, 137 posts
11 Jan 2019 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Agree with the sentiments here. I believe it is the Gingin shire or Lancelin Chamber of Commerce who ultimately controls this event? $125 for a 40 min race, that usually starts too early in the day, is ridiculous.

Any reason why WWA can't run its own event, even on a different weekend? Particularly for the waves, that shouldn't be left to people who don't understand windsurfing. Run it out of the tav, rent out a couple of the local cray boats to use as spectator vessels.

Obelix
WA, 836 posts
11 Jan 2019 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

This is their first attempt and some mistakes can be expected. They seemed to have done a good job in rallying sponsors and political support.
What they seem to lack is some windsurfing/kiting general knowledge, and a bit of a history on how/when people register.
Hopefully this event, which is great for our sport, won't collapse.

WindsurfingWA
WA, 638 posts
11 Jan 2019 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bails said..
Agree with the sentiments here. I believe it is the Gingin shire or Lancelin Chamber of Commerce who ultimately controls this event? $125 for a 40 min race, that usually starts too early in the day, is ridiculous.

Any reason why WWA can't run its own event, even on a different weekend? Particularly for the waves, that shouldn't be left to people who don't understand windsurfing. Run it out of the tav, rent out a couple of the local cray boats to use as spectator vessels.

Previous years WWA has provided the volunteers for the wave event. As with sanctioning the events, no request for support was made this year and we are/were under the impression they had it covered. There has never been the need for a separate event.

TimB
WA, 239 posts
11 Jan 2019 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..
This is their first attempt and some mistakes can be expected. They seemed to have done a good job in rallying sponsors and political support.
What they seem to lack is some windsurfing/kiting general knowledge, and a bit of a history on how/when people register.
Hopefully this event, which is great for our sport, won't collapse.

Be fully aware that this is NOT the first time for this event team. All key players have been in the background of LOC for many many years.

Spotty
VIC, 1251 posts
11 Jan 2019 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Here at the moment in sunny Lano, breeze blowing, event village all in place and catering stalls add final touches. Can't see any wave sailors lurking about maybe they went north.

Was hoping to have a beer at the Tav' and watch the wave finals, guess we will have to settle for just a beer and the Bikini comp + Skimpys the Tavern have scheduled for tonight.

kato
VIC, 2409 posts
11 Jan 2019 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Spotty said..
Here at the moment in sunny Lano, breeze blowing, event village all in place and catering stalls add final touches. Can't see any wave sailors lurking about maybe they went north.

Was hoping to have a beer at the Tav' and watch the wave finals, guess we will have to settle for just a beer and the Bikini comp + Skimpys the Tavern have scheduled for tonight.

I think you'll be ok Spotty
A pitty about the event issues thou

Spotty
VIC, 1251 posts
12 Jan 2019 2:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..

Spotty said..

I think you'll be ok Spotty
A pitty about the event issues thou

Yes looks like the forecast is for 21knots so I should plane most of the way, wtg to see how much swell .
Sunday could be good for a wave comp if ???? . No swell today though.
Skimpys were.... um skimpy, and had eyes that could thrill aimed at one of the top guns on there first LOC visit.
The B'comp start kept getting delayed, local punters were swilling more and getting rowdy on the dance floor,
Was getting late, time to leave for me, Wndsrf'Tv will no doubt cover the rest if anything else noteworthy happened.

AUS1111
WA, 3277 posts
12 Jan 2019 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Fake news? No insurance requested at rego

AUS1111
WA, 3277 posts
12 Jan 2019 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Results are up:

bluechipresults.com.au/results.aspx?CId=11&RId=1210

shaggy696
WA, 52 posts
12 Jan 2019 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS1111 said..

There was another post yesterday saying they had canceled the $25 fee

shaggy696
WA, 52 posts
12 Jan 2019 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS1111 said..

There was another post yesterday saying they had canceled the $25 fee

Windxtasy
WA, 3868 posts
12 Jan 2019 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

It was good to see a lot of last year's mistakes were addressed and corrected.
This year it was very clear which boats were the first mark and the large flags flying above them made them visible from the shore.
The start sequence was clear.
The respective finish lines were clear.
Now we just need at least twice as much room for sailors and gear (at least) on the start lines. What were they thinking?

Whitey76
WA, 37 posts
13 Jan 2019 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome event, 2pm start time a great idea, hope they keep it for next year. Definately need double the room on the start line. Who ever came up with that spacing had never seen a windsurfer before!

Obelix
WA, 836 posts
13 Jan 2019 6:11AM
Thumbs Up

Where would you spread? The whole beach was used. If you go more North, hard to clear the reef.

I thought it was well organised throughout.

Whitey76
WA, 37 posts
13 Jan 2019 6:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Obelix said..
Where would you spread? The whole beach was used. If you go more North, hard to clear the reef.

Only half the beach was used for the official line mate. The people who were further north were the smart people who took one look at their number and moved themselves down the beach. That included both people either side of me and I still didn't have much room. Compared to last time I was a few from the north end of the line and I was not far from the rock groin, this time it was half a beach away. Agree with the well organised part, well done to the organisers. Just got to use the whole beach next time!

Mickymoo
WA, 155 posts
13 Jan 2019 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome event and conditions. Well organised...big thanks for all those who volunteered, well done!

col5555
WA, 306 posts
13 Jan 2019 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Great event right up until i launched of a swell and didnt quite get the landing right. Went to waterstart only to find I have a 3 piece mast now.
Big thanks to the volunteers.

And if anyone has any contacts my rescue boat has my black severne extension and and the 3rd piece of mast which i would like to try and get back. I think it was boat # 207 fibreglass mono hull, yamaha 4 stroke I think.

Spotty
VIC, 1251 posts
13 Jan 2019 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
col5555 said..
Great event right up until i launched of a swell and didnt quite get the landing right. Went to waterstart only to find I have a 3 piece mast now.
Big thanks to the volunteers.

And if anyone has any contacts my rescue boat has my black severne extension and and the 3rd piece of mast which i would like to try and get back. I think it was boat # 207 fibreglass mono hull, yamaha 4 stroke I think.

One of the Vol's brought your base to event village last night, PM MarkAUS' as he should be able to direct you to whom it was that was trying to return it.

hardpole
WA, 485 posts
13 Jan 2019 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Did anyone else see the coverage on ABC national news last night?
It wasn't on the WA news but on the national which seemed odd.
Really nice helicopter shots of the start.

AUS1111
WA, 3277 posts
13 Jan 2019 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Heli photos here:

www.prostarpics.com/p542032584

Hooksey
WA, 494 posts
14 Jan 2019 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Great marathon event and finally some consistent wind across the course.

Shame the wave event did not run but im sure it will be back next year.

Keep it positive!

snorkel692
QLD, 211 posts
14 Jan 2019 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all involved for a great event. My first LOC for over 20 years and I had a blast, albeit in conditions I was seriously unprepared for. Credit to the organisers, always lessons to learn in every event. I would love to come back for another! Congrats to all the competitors and thanks to the volunteers who made it seamless. One happy camper here.

Kernowboy
WA, 11 posts
18 Jan 2019 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Whitey76 said..

Obelix said..

Only half the beach was used for the official line mate. The people who were further north were the smart people who took one look at their number and moved themselves down the beach. That included both people either side of me and I still didn't have much room. Compared to last time I was a few from the north end of the line and I was not far from the rock groin, this time it was half a beach away. Agree with the well organised part, well done to the organisers. Just got to use the whole beach next time!

Crowded? Yup.

JonesySail
QLD, 914 posts
18 Jan 2019 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

What size/weapons did the top crew use this year, looks like there was a bit of a breeze this year.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"LOC 2019" started by shaggy696